Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

GW2 PvP versus Replayability: Nothing to farm

So from level 2 you can do PvP and get all gear and spells instantly.
    No matter how much you PvP you will only have like 7 abilitys and same gear as everyone else.

Can someone tell me a reason to play for 20 days /played, 100% PvP, in this game except "to get better and have fun"?

What reasons could you possibly want other than to get better and have fun? Isn't fun what playing games is all about?

Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    What reasons could you possibly want other than to get better and have fun? Isn't fun what playing games is all about?
    you would be suprised at the amount of people who do things not for fun.but to get gear

thankfully they will avoid guild wars 2 so i dont have to hear there constant jabbering on about "that sweet piece of loot"like i had to tolerate for years in wow

Well the game isn't for those who like a gear grind. All I can really say to you.

Not that I find skill in MMOs that high of a standard, this game will be more about skill than gear.

Oh and a lost hidden gem, back in the day, games were made for fun.

edit: I do get where you are coming from with the grind though, it helps keep you interested and gw2 may lose out due to this, but it's not a sub, so I don't think it matters.

I bet a lot of people in wow quit pvp once they have the full set. It's funny, you have to ask, if you were just gonna stop pvp'ing once you had the full set, why bother in the first place?
    Last edited by Trix; 2012-07-22 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xyanide View Post
    You have to understand that for some people, having a goal is what keeps the fun there.

Doing something repetitive without any incentive is only going to be fun for a limited duration. Add a collectible, a reward, a grind, whatever, and people will continue to do the repetitive thing because they have a goal. Competitive games also have goals, renown, sometimes monetary rewards, but the structured pvp in gw2 is rather dull after a while.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is.

Well all I can say then is people will get bored of pure PvP in this game. FAST.
    You can say "there is no way you can know that" but I do... I do...

Keeping in mind this is the Beta...
    Once the game goes live, tournaments will be running constantly, as well as you can upgrade your gear, Because this is the beta everyone has almost the highest level PvP gear available and can be upgraded.
    If you stop and think and maybe look around a little you'd be able to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    Well all I can say then is people will get bored of pure PvP in this game. FAST.
    You can say "there is no way you can know that" but I do... I do...

I think this adequately shows how serious we should take this individual.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowschoeman View Post
    Keeping in mind this is the Beta...
    Once the game goes live, tournaments will be running constantly, as well as you can upgrade your gear, Because this is the beta everyone has almost the highest level PvP gear available and can be upgraded.
    If you stop and think and maybe look around a little you'd be able to figure it out.
    This is what I was wondering about, if you get better gear the more you PvP, then it can get quite fun. But do you? And how long will it take?

Deleted
    if you play a game to get better gear and more abilities, then you're doing something wrong, simple as.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had that problem too, but honestly I probably won't care.

As long as I get 60 dollars out of it with the PvE and the PvP, it will be worth it. And I fully expect that to happen.

If it had a subscription fee I would probably whine, but it doesn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post
    if you play a game to get better gear and more abilities, then you're doing something wrong, simple as.
    Personally I love working towards getting better gear and spending a ton of time doing it. Will you/others work towards getting better looking gear? Of course, that is what Anet has designed the game around...Must be doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    This is what I was wondering about, if you get better gear the more you PvP, then it can get quite fun. But do you? And how long will it take?
    You do get better gear the more you PvP, Can't remember what it is, But it's very similar to the Honor system WoW has.
    But It's more of a gamble, Especially with the weapons.

You Buy chests that contain 2 or 3 random weapons. Which I think is a little silly, But because you can just pop anything you don't use for that profession into your stash to be used by another one of your characters it's not all bad.

The Upgrades aren't Huge, But they do help a little.

I'll have to double check just how long it takes, but before the wipe it took be about 3 or 4 hours of Solid PvP on my thief to get two new daggers and a shortbow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I decided to give the beta weekend a shot, and GW2 just isn't for me. Granted I will still play on occasion with some guild mates to have some fun- but this isn't going to be a game that I can't wait to log on to spend hours on end.

I am the type who strives to get better gear. I love min/maxing and pushing my best performance. GW2 just does not fit my style of gameplay, and that is fine. Some games are not meant for some people.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowschoeman View Post
    You do get better gear the more you PvP, Can't remember what it is, But it's very similar to the Honor system WoW has.
    But It's more of a gamble, Especially with the weapons.
    You don't get better gear, you get better looking gear. There is a HUGE difference between the two as far as balance goes. You will never lose a PvP match due to someone PvPing longer than you unless that person is simply better. Any upgrades are cosmetic.

---------- Post added 2012-07-21 at 09:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Forsedar View Post
    I decided to give the beta weekend a shot, and GW2 just isn't for me. Granted I will still play on occasion with some guild mates to have some fun- but this isn't going to be a game that I can't wait to log on to spend hours on end.

I am the type who strives to get better gear. I love min/maxing and pushing my best performance. GW2 just does not fit my style of gameplay, and that is fine. Some games are not meant for some people.
    You can still min/max at 80. It would be like if every item in WoW was an ilvl 200 epic. They would all have the same number of stats, but the allocation would be different. One isn't better than the other, but may be better for your playstyle/spec. The difference is PvP, where everything is available to everyone. You don't often see counter strike matches where one team isn't allowed to buy an AWP because they haven't put in enough hours.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are PvP ranks (similar to the old ranks from Vanilla WoW) that give you access to different looking gear and emotes when killing a player on the ground. Prestige in other words is what you're working towards if not fun.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

I think GW2 will be good for me when I get aggravated with the WoW tedium b/c I honestly like the story thing they've got goin on - but, for me at least, it won't be my permanent WoW replacement. But I AM enjoying it! :-D

10+ Year Old Account
    Gear is the carrot for the treadmill. You want to be pretty? Have shiny gears? Have BETTER gear than everyone else? You better chase that carrot!

Remove the carrot, the treadmill stops. Treadmill stops, subscriptions hemorrhage. Subs start bleeding out... game goes... oh wait GW2 is already F2P. Subs start bleeding out, people go back to Warcraft and realize (once again) how good things are and how the grass *ISN'T* greener on the other side.

Thus the downfall of another contender
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I wonder why some people have thousands of hours played of Counter-Strike. It cant be because they find it fun right? It has to be because they get better gear.... ooh wait.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    Remove the carrot, the treadmill stops. Treadmill stops, subscriptions hemorrhage. Subs start bleeding out... game goes... oh wait GW2 is already F2P. Subs start bleeding out, people go back to Warcraft and realize (once again) how good things are and how the grass *ISN'T* greener on the other side.
    Not actually sure if serious, but gear upgrades aren't required to make a good game. Most would consider them a negative in a PvP environment. A player shouldn't beat another player in a PvP environment because one of those two players has better gear but is a slightly worse player, that's not what you call balance.