Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravock View Post
    So much bro-science in here it's amazing.
    Perhaps you could enlighten us... You keep picking up people's posts for bro-science but you've yet to share any of your knowledge..
    Last edited by Reqq; 2012-07-22 at 07:50 PM.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Perhaps you could enlighten us... You keep picking up people's posts for bro-science but you've yet to share any of your knowledge..
    Guy with no posts comes into a thread about muscles giving no examples and providing nothing? I'm sure he is a fitness expert with muscles the size of manhattan, but he'll disappear or post something else that's useless instead of proving anything wrong.

  3. #23
    Herald of the Titans Yilar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,776
    Heavy weight with low amount of reps for muscle building and Low weight with high amount of reps for endurance building. That's what i've always been told.

  4. #24
    lol at these nutritions tips , high protein low carb and bla bla bla, I eat A LOTS of carb, brown white, noodles, bread and cereal oatmeal and fruits and maple syrup, has long as you get you proteins , healthy fat , actually healthy anything, dont worry about carb that is for lean/bulking, hell you want carb for bulking a lot, if you are cutting, i dont know since i was never fat myself so i cant speak from experience but i doubt carbs would do too big of a deal as long as you lower your calories

    Ratio would be best like this 2gcarb/1fat/1protein and calories depending on bulking or being lean.

  5. #25
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    lol at these nutritions tips , high protein low carb and bla bla bla, I eat A LOTS of carb, brown white, noodles, bread and cereal oatmeal and fruits and maple syrup, has long as you get you proteins , healthy fat , actually healthy anything, dont worry about carb that is for lean/bulking, hell you want carb for bulking a lot, if you are cutting, i dont know since i was never fat myself so i cant speak from experience but i doubt carbs would do too big of a deal as long as you lower your calories

    Ratio would be best like this 2gcarb/1fat/1protein and calories depending on bulking or being lean.
    Carbs and ratios play a huge part in bulking / cutting dependant on body type. The fact that you say you've never been fat probably has more to do with the fact that you also say you can eat as many carbs as you want.

    Google body composition.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Carbs and ratios play a huge part in bulking / cutting dependant on body type. The fact that you say you've never been fat probably has more to do with the fact that you also say you can eat as many carbs as you want.

    Google body composition.
    or cause i never ate like a pig, not every body who workout do it because they want to stop being a fat ass

  7. #27
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by RenegadeXan View Post
    or cause i never ate like a pig, not every body who workout do it because they want to stop being a fat ass
    Not everyone that works out can eat with the gusto that you do without becoming a fat ass.

  8. #28
    The Lightbringer
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Silvermoon City
    Posts
    3,623
    "When in doubt, lift heavy." (c)

    BC/LK raider ('07-'10)

  9. #29
    The Patient Abominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    265
    There are 3 methods of building muscle that cannot fail.

    1. Leave this place never to return as common sense dictates that a forum of this nature isn't suited to building a muscular physique. People on computer forums tend to extremely arrogant and believe they know best, when it comes to building muscle you can never know best yet the majority of people at the gym think they know best. It makes me think long and hard about how almost no one in the gym looks like they go to the gym despite them thinking they know everything about building muscle, must be one of life's great mysteries I guess.

    2. Devote a good chunk of your life to doing copious amounts of research, you can't do too much and you can't recheck and compare information enough. if you don't like research and have a good head on your shoulders to help you discern fact from fiction don't waste your time.

    3. Be prepared for a life long commitment which will require you to put more effort into a single day than you put into an entire month or year, and to top it off you do this every day all year for ever. If you can't handle that then you can't handle building muscle.

    "Life is full of sacrifices, if you are not willing to make sacrifices then you are not willing to succeed"
    -Me

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    There are 3 methods of building muscle that cannot fail.

    1. Leave this place never to return as common sense dictates that a forum of this nature isn't suited to building a muscular physique. People on computer forums tend to extremely arrogant and believe they know best, when it comes to building muscle you can never know best yet the majority of people at the gym think they know best. It makes me think long and hard about how almost no one in the gym looks like they go to the gym despite them thinking they know everything about building muscle, must be one of life's great mysteries I guess.

    2. Devote a good chunk of your life to doing copious amounts of research, you can't do too much and you can't recheck and compare information enough. if you don't like research and have a good head on your shoulders to help you discern fact from fiction don't waste your time.

    3. Be prepared for a life long commitment which will require you to put more effort into a single day than you put into an entire month or year, and to top it off you do this every day all year for ever. If you can't handle that then you can't handle building muscle.

    "Life is full of sacrifices, if you are not willing to make sacrifices then you are not willing to succeed"
    -Me
    I think you are making muscle building out to be a lot more then it really is. I am no expert, but I can guarantee results from doing 4 exercises(bench press, squats, dead lifts, rows) every other day and eating a lot of whole foods, which is not a huge change for most people. Obviously the more you put in the more results you get, but that can be said with anything in life.

    Also discriminating against people at the gym seems shallow at best. People at the gym tend to be more fit then the general population despite what you think, because they actually show up at the gym to do SOMETHING, and that is better then not showing up at all. Sure a lot of people don't have 6 packs and don't look like body builders and probably do some things the wrong way but that is the whole point of going to the gym, to get better, and each person has there own goals in mind, maybe they don't want to look like what your ideal person should.

    Going to the gym and expecting everyone to be in shape is a problem with perception, people don't go to the gym to show off how in shape they already are, they go there to get in shape and you will see everything from some of the most out of shape people to bodybuilders. So while you may think it is one of life's great mysteries that most people at the gym are not at peak physical condition, I actually expect to see out of shape people at the gym, because they are at the gym to better themselves.

    The advice they give is a result of the media, they simply regurgitate what they see on TV or read in a magazine, and if you don't like there advice then you don't have to listen. The advice I hear the most at my gym is that you should do what works for you, because everyone is different. But the question the op asked is if it was better to do lower reps at higher weight, and the simple answer is yes, if you want to build muscle mass. Nothing complicated or life changing about that.

  11. #31
    heavy weight low reps (3-6) builds strength
    medium weight medium reps (8-12) builds muscle mass
    low weight high reps (20-50) builds muscle tone (it means having big muscles all the time not only in gym after a workout)

  12. #32
    5 sets of 5, all you need to know. Go heavy, cycle in squats and deadlifts with whatever else you're doing. As others have said, you should be close to failure after each set.
    If you're looking for gaming stuff, I'm on the tubes and the tweets!

  13. #33
    The Patient Abominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by jadakada View Post
    I think you are making muscle building out to be a lot more then it really is. I am no expert, but I can guarantee results from doing 4 exercises(bench press, squats, dead lifts, rows) every other day and eating a lot of whole foods, which is not a huge change for most people. Obviously the more you put in the more results you get, but that can be said with anything in life.

    Also discriminating against people at the gym seems shallow at best. People at the gym tend to be more fit then the general population despite what you think, because they actually show up at the gym to do SOMETHING, and that is better then not showing up at all. Sure a lot of people don't have 6 packs and don't look like body builders and probably do some things the wrong way but that is the whole point of going to the gym, to get better, and each person has there own goals in mind, maybe they don't want to look like what your ideal person should.

    Going to the gym and expecting everyone to be in shape is a problem with perception, people don't go to the gym to show off how in shape they already are, they go there to get in shape and you will see everything from some of the most out of shape people to bodybuilders. So while you may think it is one of life's great mysteries that most people at the gym are not at peak physical condition, I actually expect to see out of shape people at the gym, because they are at the gym to better themselves.

    The advice they give is a result of the media, they simply regurgitate what they see on TV or read in a magazine, and if you don't like there advice then you don't have to listen. The advice I hear the most at my gym is that you should do what works for you, because everyone is different. But the question the op asked is if it was better to do lower reps at higher weight, and the simple answer is yes, if you want to build muscle mass. Nothing complicated or life changing about that.
    I don't go to the gym expecting to see fit people, what you look like is irrelevant. I go to the gym expecting to see people honestly trying to do the best you can, it doesn't matter whether you're doing it right or wrong, all that matters is that you try your best. That is why most people fail at life, they don't try to be the best they simply live with mediocrity as a good goal.

    People can give the best advice ever but it's not going to have any sort of effect when the person can't be bothered committing to it enough to do it right or to even maintain it for several weeks. People shouldn't be telling the OP what to do, they should be telling him how and why to do it.

    Also for the record low reps and high weights won't really build any visible size, it will only really increase strength given a proper diet and dedication.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Abominator View Post
    Also for the record low reps and high weights won't really build any visible size, it will only really increase strength given a proper diet and dedication.
    That's pretty over exaggerated. A routine like StrongLifts or Starting Strength builds visible size, and that's sets/reps of 5x5 and 3x5 respectively.
    You'll gain size and strength as long as you lift heavy and have a proper diet regardless, i'd argue that it's the speed of which you gain mass is dependant on the reps/weight.
    Last edited by Chocobro; 2012-07-24 at 11:59 AM.

  15. #35
    I believe lean means looking cut and fit but not Arnold Schwarzenegger ripped, in his younger years.

  16. #36
    Hi There,

    There is a french book written by M. LAFAY, it describes how to muscle with only your body's weight (i don't know the exact translation ...).
    You don't need any "machines", and there are a ton of exercices you can do at home.

    This method is very very popular in France and works for most of us, since you are motivated. A Kung-fu Champion, and krav-maga karate teacher, tested it for one year. Results are impressive. At the begining he was not able to do a push-up with one hand - and he was a champion .... - when he trained with the method, he was doing 52 one-handed push-up.

    The method focus too on food, there is no use of protein or other products. Only "natural" foods. I tried it myself for 2 months (extra training for Kite surf), i was very happy with my results, i took/gained 5 kilos, but my jean was too large .

    If you want to take muscles and weight, don't forget your legs, you gain the most in your legs. That's where you will gain the more ( it depends of each body thought).

    But please don't take any "bad" products, don't do heavy exercices ("i want more and more") your body needs time to adapt.
    The book is written with levels. It has 13 levels. Since you grind, you have more and more XP (ahahah). When you reach a certain "cap" on some exercices (do 6 series with 10 repeats on exercice B2), you can go the next level.
    Then exercices are stronger. And some people who train with machines are not able to do some exercices described (too difficult, not enough strenght to do etc..)
    When you train with a machine, what is your real strenght ? The muscle is trained to work well only with this particular machine, that's all....

    If you feel to make your own "program", the book lets you to do it, and learn to you how to make "your personalized" program.

    If you need more infos, ask me there, or PM.
    I don't know if a localized US-EN exists ...
    Last edited by xulek; 2012-07-25 at 08:15 AM.

  17. #37
    The Patient Abominator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by Chocobro View Post
    That's pretty over exaggerated. A routine like StrongLifts or Starting Strength builds visible size, and that's sets/reps of 5x5 and 3x5 respectively.
    You'll gain size and strength as long as you lift heavy and have a proper diet regardless, i'd argue that it's the speed of which you gain mass is dependent on the reps/weight.
    Physiologically and anatomically speaking a rep range of 1-5 will build far less size than a rep range of 8-12. You will gain visible size, although you'll still look like an average person and people probably won't even know that you work out unless you tell them, at which point they will either laugh or assume you only just started, even after many years. If your main goal is size then a rep range of 1-5 is far from ideal and changing rep ranges does not speed up progress seeing as getting big or strong are two completely different things and you can't compare them. Most of the online community has been sucked into the whole starting strength or strong lifts etc. you can go down that route if you want but you'll either end up lacking the results you wanted or cutting yourself short of your goals.

  18. #38
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SPb
    Posts
    133
    search webs for "fat loss", "hypertrophy" and "strength" programs
    you will see the difference in repeats, approaches and rest time

  19. #39
    Drop down to 3 sets of 6 reps and supplement creatine monohydrate to increase your peak muscle output. Pop a protein shake after a workout and don't let yourself get hungry throughout the day, with reasonably healthy foods. Only work a specific muscle group once a week to fully recover in between so you can lift as heavy as possible each time you work it. Doing this will get you the best results (if you're looking for muscle mass) while minimizing time spent at the gym, an hour a day should be plenty.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by veldrinal View Post
    Drop down to 3 sets of 6 reps and supplement creatine monohydrate to increase your peak muscle output. Pop a protein shake after a workout and don't let yourself get hungry throughout the day, with reasonably healthy foods. Only work a specific muscle group once a week to fully recover in between so you can lift as heavy as possible each time you work it. Doing this will get you the best results (if you're looking for muscle mass) while minimizing time spent at the gym, an hour a day should be plenty.
    I can't really recommend 3 sets of 6 reps when aiming for hypertrophy (the muscle building stage). Doing 6 reps is more adviced when building strength, and when that you'd be wanting to do something like 5 sets 5 reps. If you want to do 3 sets i would recommend 8 reps, but optimally i would recommend 4 sets of 6-8 reps.

    Working a muscle group once a week only works for highly experienced peoples, and mostly steroid users. The muscle is almost fully recovered 36 hours after a workout. For normal people its greatly adviced to work the same muscle group 3-4 times a week, 2-3 times a week for newcomers.

    To build muscles you need to be in a calorie surplus, that means if you try to lose weight at the same time, you won't build any significant muscle mass. Try to get 1.5 grams of protein per kg of lean body mass, eat plenty of healthy fat and get some carbs as well. You can use all sorts of supplements but if your basic diet isn't well all the fancy stuff won't help you much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •