Page 46 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Folks, let's tone down the insults and flaming, I'd hate to see this thread locked because some users can't handle someone else having a difference of opinion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    The problem is the anti-cheat program running with CoD thinks your running a hacked OS so you can cheat in the game. Unfortunately nothing anyone but the PunkBuster team can do about it (as far as I know) I'm sure though that whoever it is that develops CoD will fix it in time for the actual Win8 release, assuming they aren't going to use it as a way to keep people off Win8 becuase they think that Microsoft having their own appstore/market is unfair.
    Your other problems appear to be driver related. Running Windows Update should solve most of them, after that head over to the ATI site and see if they have released any Win8 drivers yet. I know Asus have just released some Win8 stuff for my Motherboard.
    Thanks! downloaded a new driver for Win 8 and catalyst control center seems to be working normally now and i just installed a windows update, have not checked if that helps with CoD or not yet tho

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    However, virtually no games will properly benefit from touch. It's going to be wonky and clumsy, especially compared to basic input like keyboard and mouse, or even gamepads.
    This is why game developers require degrees and get paid very well - they come up with ways for it to work that myself or others couldn't.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    You do have the option to turn it back to a interface similar to W7 (getting the old bar and start button).

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    This is why game developers require degrees and get paid very well - they come up with ways for it to work that myself or others couldn't.
    /facepalm

That's designers, not programmers, for one. Although in a game company of smaller size, programmers are less programmers and more "all of the guys that made the damn thing," since they may not have the workforce or economy to have all the separate positions...

More to the point, this is a factual statement: Keyboard and mouse are efficient. Touch and touch gestures are not. Touch may be one of many hardware features that a few games will incorporate for very specific effect. Similar to how Mass Effect involves Kinect to a certain degree. Or how it's used on phones and tablets. And that zombie game on Wii U.

However, when available a keyboard, mouse or gamepad is going to be more desirable. There are places for touch, but touch is not the solution for all things.

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 04:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    You do have the option to turn it back to a interface similar to W7 (getting the old bar and start button).
    No, it's not an option. It's a third-party hack. Mixing those two things is like saying you don't have to use iTunes for iPhones, except the alternative solutions all involve extremely roundabout measures.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-08-25 at 04:43 PM.

No, it's not an option. It's a third-party hack. Mixing those two things is like saying you don't have to use iTunes for iPhones, except the alternative solutions all involve extremely roundabout measures.
    I'm pretty positive that you can disable metro

Quote Originally Posted by Steelyorc View Post
    You can't, you need to use hacks.

Don't think you can but.......

It seems easy to switch between desktop and metro

Apart from the touch button on the screen you can also Alt + Tap to the desktop UI as shown in the next video

Honestly the way W8 works with spiting the screen allowing you to do multiply things at the same time is a huge quality of life change.

Metro UI is nothing more then the start menu in big, except it also has elements of the desktop in it.

No. There was a regedit in the past, but that's wandering into a grayzone between hack and option. However, Windows went ahead and completely removed that option, which prompted users to transfer certain files from Windows 7, which when used right disables Metro.

Third party hacks exist that begin from scratch too, like Classic Shell.

---------- Post added 2012-08-25 at 06:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ati87 View Post
    Honestly the way W8 works with spiting the screen allowing you to do multiply things at the same time is a huge quality of life change.

Metro UI is nothing more then the start menu in big, except it also has elements of the desktop in it.
    No. Metro is Metro. It's either an OS desktop or a glorified and inefficient start menu, but regardless it does not integrate with the desktop more than very half-heartedly.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-08-25 at 06:11 PM.

What I see from these videos is that you cannot split desktop properly. You can't split desktop 50% | 50% or 50% - 50%. There are times when I write a lot of "code" elsewhere and then paste it to other program. There are times when I watch videos and read stuff at the same time. I could come up with examples, but win8 seems to force you to either 20% | 80% split or 80% | 20% ... at least looking at the videos.

That is just an example.

To me it seems there are no big things wrong with win8, but the above problem included there are many little problems that amount to very bad end result. I hope my win7 will stay as sufficient option until something better comes out as I'm going to keep using it for now.

15+ Year Old Account
    I love it!!! You cannot TELL the difference between this and my old win7, Except 8 is extremely faster, better dual monitor support, and my damn controller finally works with windows.

People who hate are too lazy to learn what it can actually do.

Wait Metro UI is optional? OMG\

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    What I see from these videos is that you cannot split desktop properly. You can't split desktop 50% | 50% or 50% - 50%. There are times when I write a lot of "code" elsewhere and then paste it to other program. There are times when I watch videos and read stuff at the same time. I could come up with examples, but win8 seems to force you to either 20% | 80% split or 80% | 20% ... at least looking at the videos.
    Looking through the videos huh..... mmmk

BTW you are wrong.
    Last edited by Punks; 2012-08-25 at 07:18 PM.

Etc
    If there is a way to split apps with other apps at any other ratio I haven't seen it. However, this is limited to apps. Hilariously, despite Metro being only part of the explorer.exe, desktop is considered an app.

Looking through the videos huh..... mmmk

BTW you are wrong.

Please, link me than a video where this is shown? So far I see only what I wrote about. I can accept being wrong, if proven. Sorry, if I don't just take blindly your word for it. So far most things I see make me want to avoid win8 at least until it is fixed.

That was just one tiny problem. There are lot of tiny problems.
    Last edited by Morae; 2012-08-25 at 07:39 PM. Reason: failed editing...

I don't think I'll move over to Windows 8 till its first service pack, I just don't see being able to work effectively on it right now, even if I do like the metro UI (at least on a tablet.
    Desktop - AMD FX-8120 @ 3.8ghz - 8GB DDR3 OCZ - Sapphire 7870
    Laptop - M11X. Revision1 - 1.7ghz ULV Dual Core - 4GB DDR2 - GT335M

I'll buy one copy for sure from the starting $40 discount and will try it on my main desktop computer, but not really sure if I'll end up keeping it or putting Win7 back. Using the preview on laptop was ok enough even with mouse and keyboard.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Addiena View Post
    Sorry but I refuse to believe such biased views, clearly you work for or are paid by MS to peddle their brainwashing.
    O.o

Having already used win8 for the last 3 months I refuse to install that pile of refuse on my machine again. (I gave it a proper chance to convince me it was worth using, it failed to do so.)

It has NO advantages over win7 when not used on a touch screen device.
    The copy/move file dialogue is a massive upgrade and a very welcome change to one of Windows' most annoying feature. The Task Manager is also significantly neater and more useful, and configuring the PC in general has been made a lot easier by the bottom-left-menu and enhanced search tool, both of which go a long way to mitigating Microsoft's awful options labyrinth.

Adding in the faster load time and improved taskbar gives us a sizable number of improvements and the fact I personally find the start screen more aesthetically pleasing than clustering icons on the desktop is just icing.

Seems okay to me, i enjoy change.

That is just an example.

To me it seems there are no big things wrong with win8, but the above problem included there are many little problems that amount to very bad end result. I hope my win7 will stay as sufficient option until something better comes out as I'm going to keep using it for now.
    The Desktop still allows you to size windows however you like, including the snap-to sides Windows 7 introduced, so programs running on the desk-top will function pretty much identically to how they do now.

I would've thought everyone here would understand he's talking about the apps' behavior when he mentions 20/80 ratio, lol.

I would've thought everyone here would understand he's talking about the apps' behavior when he mentions 20/80 ratio, lol.
    Except he said it's impossible to split the desktop 50-50 as he can at the moment, when the desktop is pretty much identical (minus the start button) and all the things he says he does now are still possible with Win8.