headsets: turtle beach vs razer

so im looking to get a new headset, and i've always heard that turtle beach is the best in regards to gaming audio, however when i look at all the reviews for the turtle beach z6a they are all very low (most due to the durability of the headset.. now i've heard that razer headsets are also pretty good, but most of them are pretty expensive and the one im looking at is the razer carcharias

anyone have any experience with both of these? or reason to why i would hear such great things about turtle beach yet see such low reviews on various sites? (newegg, amazon, etc.)

thanks guys, look forward to any feedback you might have!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't speak for Turtle Beach as I've never owned one. I have a Carcharias that I don't use anymore, but from the 2-3 years I used it, it sounded ok, felt comfortable, never broke on me, overall was reliable. I know other people have had major problems with it, but from my experience, it was a good headset purchase a few years back for $80.

Everyone will recommend you get a pair of headphones from a company that's geared towards audio products. I upgraded from the Carcharias to the Sennheiser HD558 and bought a detachable boom mic (AntLion ModMic). Together it cost me about $200, but the sound quality is so much better. Together with a standalone sound card, I can hear a lot of the fine details in games where you may not have noticed before. If you have a low budget, I'd say just get the Carcharias or maybe a Steelseries Siberia v2, but if you can spend more, buy a nice pair of headphones and a clip-on/detachable mic.