Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs down Can't sell anyting on AH anymore...

I've had all my AH slots full in the past week, usually with items in the 500K - 4M range. I'm undercutting like a mofo, but nothing sells anymore. It's disheartening..

I take this as a sign the game is losing players hand over fist, leaving all but the top-end items to rot on the AH as supply exceeds demand for merely "quite good" items.

At least before, it seems you could climb the ladder at a slower pace (selling non-top-end items), but now it seems you have to hit the jackpot by finding top end items yourself, because nothing else sells.

Actually, my only sale recently was a mid range legendary item that I mispriced (opening bid 125k, only one bid) forgetting that I could salvage it into a fiery brimstone that sells for 200k... yay someone else made money off me!

/rant

It's called item saturation. In softcore great items are constantly being generated but never removed. Eventually everyone is decked out in awesome gear.

With the AH and how super easy/efficient trading is we are 2 months into the game and we are already at the point where you will basically never be able to find anything useful for yourself and the odds of you finding anything good enough to actually trade is also very low (and getting lower by the minute).

You cant compete against chinesefarmers, they have bots that blizzard can't detect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuroka View Post
    I've had all my AH slots full in the past week, usually with items in the 500K - 4M range. I'm undercutting like a mofo, but nothing sells anymore. It's disheartening..

I take this as a sign the game is losing players hand over fist, leaving all but the top-end items to rot on the AH as supply exceeds demand for merely "quite good" items.

At least before, it seems you could climb the ladder at a slower pace (selling non-top-end items), but now it seems you have to hit the jackpot by finding top end items yourself, because nothing else sells.

Actually, my only sale recently was a mid range legendary item that I mispriced (opening bid 125k, only one bid) forgetting that I could salvage it into a fiery brimstone that sells for 200k... yay someone else made money off me!

/rant
    I have decent, usable gear on the AH with buyouts well under 10k, and it normally takes between 3-4 rotations before the stuff actually sells.... what you say is absolutely correct.

In fact, there's an over-saturation of really really good gear as well... you can see page after page of good stuff with absurdly high starting bids, with even more absurd buyouts, that just sit and never get sold.

The 'invisible hand' even reaches to pixel economies I suppose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaqwert View Post
    It's called item saturation
    Actually it's called consumer base reduction.
    Countless bots = Tons of item to sell
    Less players = Less potential buyers.

Combining the above two things and you got greatly reduced sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Keosen View Post
    Actually it's called consumer base reduction.
    Countless bots = Tons of item to sell
    Less players = Less potential buyers.

Combining the above two things and you got greatly reduced sales.
    Bullshit.

I never made more money on the AH than in the last weekend.

Also: get your prices adapted to the markets. Some items go way up, others go way down between days.

And ... it doesn't matter MUCH if the D3 AH is being played by 1M or 3 M people: it is always a question of offer and demand.

And for the haters: EU reached 1600 random public games this weekend. That was hardly any difference with the 1800+ on patch 1.03 5 weeks ago (the one where Blizzard changed the calculation of these public games)

"Normal AH laws" like found in those other MMO's (with very small server populations) don't count in D3 because the ONE centralised market is 500 to 1000 times bigger than found in normal single server based economies. We speak here about 100.000's of D3 AH players at the same time, where single server economies get 1000 people per faction per server maximum. Often far less.

In the last weekend lower priced Legendaries changed hands by the dozens every few hours. one can easely track this.

Also when the bottom price is reached a LOT of these are salvaged, making the market for some very rare again.

In fact at some point enhanced Star sales (now gem talking) had a fluctuation of more than 50%, because the basic Star Mats ran out.

The market fluctuates on OFFER and DEMAND in such a single huge centralised market.

It is far more difficult to control such a huge market than very small 1K based ones, simply by the huge number of players centralised.

Imagine a shop with 1 M customers. You can't compare that with what you are used to in "normal" single server based MMO's.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-07-23 at 07:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Bullshit.

I never made more money on the AH than in the last weekend.

Also: get your prices adapted to the markets. Some items go way up, others go way down between days.

And ... it doesn't matter MUCH if the D3 AH is being played by 1M or 3 M people: it is always a question of offer and demand.

And for the haters: EU reached 1600 random public games this weekend. That was hardly any difference with the 1800+ on patch 1.03 5 weeks ago (the one where Blizzard changed the calculation of these public games)

"Normal AH laws" like found in those other MMO's (with very small server populations) don't count in D3 because the ONE centralised market is 500 to 1000 times bigger than found in normal single server based economies. We speak here about 100.000's of D3 AH players at the same time, where single server economies get 1000 people per faction per server maximum
    In the last weekend lower priced Legendaries changed hands by the dozens every few hours. one can easely track this.

Also when the bottom price is reached a LOT of these are salvaged, making the market for some very rare again.

In fact in some point the en hanced Star sales (now gem talking) had a fluctuation of a more than 50%, because the basic Star Mats ran out.

The market flucutates on OFFER and DEMAND and in such a HUGE centralised market.
    Count of games != Count of people playing. It's people that buy stuff, not games.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Count of games != Count of people playing. It's people that buy stuff, not games.
    I just referred to the activity in game, which was an argument to the guy I was posting to (so called less players). I showed the activity in game last weekend was very high in random open groups, so I already knew that argument doesn't count in a trading game based on offer and demand of player numbers.

Anyone with a knowledge of basic economics knows that the graph will adapt to the number of offers and or demand. Less players, less offer too.

----

But the most important part of Diablo 3 is the fact that trading numbers are so HUGE compared to what we are used to in those pretty small communities on single server based games.

That makes it rather difficult to control it for anyone. The open market plays a much bigger role in D3 as numbers of trading traffic is simply 500 to 1000 times bigger than the AH's we saw in the past.

It is no wonder EVE stayed a success with their centralised trading on one server too.

--- > Actually I will have a very hard time to go back to trading in WOW seeing this.

Add to the fact that this centralised trading is complemented with a RMAH - where higher commodities are a success btw - and you can see there was a kind of box of Pandora opened.

Imagine this centralised system in WOW and what a huge impact it would have for commodities with a real player driven "real value" economy.

I opened it. And it let me buy already a boardwargame and a second one coming soon;

I think I don't wanna go back to those very small fake gold economies anymore.

Perhaps I need to try EVE for a third time again ...But I am not willing to play a spreadsheet either...

So Blizz hurry up with Titan already.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-07-23 at 07:31 AM.

Deleted
    So Blizz hurry up with Titan already.
    Titan with RMAH? Yummy I just hope it won't be space related.

Anyway, it's true but I think it's mostly the 100k+ items that don't want to sell, even if they're good and worth the price. The cheap 10-50k junk sells like crazy. I did some cleaning and sold off the junk I had gathered a few days ago and it all went so fast it was hard to keep up and put it up there. And yes, I checked every item, they were bad. Like blue belts with 20 magic find or rings with 100 strenght and low amounts of random stats, like 44 loh, some vit.

What doesn't sell is weapons, even if they are decent (but not excellent) and hats without a socket. No one wants the mediocre ones and hats with no socket are just impossible to sell. So far I've had to disenchant them all.

I just referred to the activity in game, which was an argument to the guy I was posting to (so called less players). I showed the activity in game last weekend was very high in random open groups, so I already knew that argument doesn't count in a trading game based on offer and demand of player numbers.

Anyone with a knowledge of basic economics knows that the graph will adapt to the number of offers and or demand. Less players, less offer too.
    And that's why I said that the amount of games doesn't mean an equal amount of players are enjoying the game. 4 people can join one game. What if all of them created a game and are playing on their own, while 3 weeks before that, all games were filled up. That would be 4 times as much players.

Less players also doesn't mean less offers, but definitely less purchases. A player that plays one character 16 hours per day has a lot to sell, but will run out of things to buy. Visa versa, if four players play 4 hours per day, they have approximately equal input on the AH, but the AH also has a significantly higher output, due to the quadrupled demand.

To clarify, not stating this is true for DIII, but your point of view is too black and white.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2012-07-23 at 03:48 PM.

Deleted
    i see everday tons items posted in chat and they are ALWAYS crap and when you guys trie to sell items like this than YES your sells will decline

i sold on weekend 56 auctions and made 48 mio - no top end items all was like 100k-5mio and i sold EVERYTHING i posted

just dont sell crap and ppl will buy it

btw EU-AH

Deleted
    Just sold a ring for 5 mil yesterday and a neck for 1.5 mil. Ring was 123 int, 89vit, 141 loh and 4.5% crit.

Mediocre stuff that was selling over a month ago is vendor fodder now. The bar for a great item will keep going up because stuff doesn't get removed from the economy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, people are just realizing real item values as well.

I have seen my first shoulders which I bought for a "cheap" price of 500k dropping with even better stats they back then in May (already found better ones) and it would only sell after finally going down as 75k. From then on I usually I learned to only overprice for real good items meaning I look at the items and determine the most likely class for it - having a DH, a monk and a wizard makes it fairly easy right here. For instance a monk weapon without slot and without loh and 900+ dps may still be less worth than one which has both but 50-100 less dps be worth a bit more.

Simply put there are three ranges:

Low range: sell fast, almost junk, may have 1-2 good stats, vendor/salvage after 1-2 sale failures (range 2 x item gold value + 1000 - 20k)
    Mid range: sell slower, may have 2-4 good stats in medium to good range, vendor/salvage after 2-4 failures (20k - 250k)
    High range: sell very slow, may have almost all good states in good to very good range, it should theoretically never fail (250k+)

With failure I am referring to adjusting prices for the next sale. It's a shame you can't cancel auctions once the 5 min. period is over.

Also people expect other people to pay astronomical prices: I am *not* going to buy your 280 STR x-bow with no slot and Witchdoctor +% for 800m. No way.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Esapekka View Post
    Mediocre stuff that was selling over a month ago is vendor fodder now.
    Which means that farming is essentially less effective than it already was.

I really hope people are finally getting tired of this charade with the AH and start boycotting the game. Maybe (just maybe) Blizzard will finally realize the atrocious decisions they've made with this and actually start repairing em... if there is still someone to care at that point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    I really hope people are finally getting tired of this charade with the AH and start boycotting the game. Maybe (just maybe) Blizzard will finally realize the atrocious decisions they've made with this and actually start repairing em... if there is still someone to care at that point.
    I can't think of anything short of a reset or divine intervention that would fix the DIII economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    I can't think of anything short of a reset or divine intervention that would fix the DIII economy.
    Cracking down much more heavily on the bots would be a big step.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do agree with this. I used to sell pretty much everything. But now, even after lowering my prices...nothing sells.

Guess it is a little of both - lower amounts of players and mediocre items being available in masses. Nothing much you can do.

Judging by the activity on all servers I played on the active playerbase is on an alltime low because there's nothing to do.
    The only reason that subscription numbers did not plummet once again is that many people are stuck with the annual pass (including me).