Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't just quote the Billy Madison clip for a response, to be quite blunt/honest.

Though I agree completely with everything you just said.
    I have to third that post, personally. Surprised this thread exists at all.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pointless topic. Is this just an attempt to troll/bait homophobes?

Man how my times have I heard a priest say, "dearly beloved we are gathered here today?"
    Just as many as it takes to know that he is not talking to 60 people about how he wants to have sex with them....
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I'm surprised you didn't just quote the Billy Madison clip
    I take it this is a movie I should watch! Also - Google didn't avail me - if someone would be kind enough to PM me this Billy Madison clip, I'm curious now!
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2012-07-23 at 04:46 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I just want Caithe to find love. :3
    And I want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    I take it this is a movie I should watch! Also - Google didn't avail me - if someone would be kind enough to PM me this Billy Madison clip, I'm curious now!
    Consider it done
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    I really don't see why people care one way or another it's a video game I don't see why sexual preference is involved at all.

Considering their gender is meaningless as they don't reproduce the same was as other animals...I don't see how the heterosexual/homosexual label even applies to sylvari. They may have different dangly bits, but essentially they're asexual last I remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Sylvari have a different definition of love than we humans in the real world do.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherrysoul View Post
    Why make such a big deal out of something so insignificant?
    Exactly.

21 century.... It exists, get over it. People these days...unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Considering their gender is meaningless as they don't reproduce the same was as other animals...I don't see how the heterosexual/homosexual label even applies to sylvari. They may have different dangly bits, but essentially they're asexual last I remember.
    '

I think the thread is bait to be really honest.
    What I do find interesting tho is the choice of words, but I think it's more about Romanticised sounding things, which most people might confuse ( like in this case)
    But at that same time who knows, why care?
    As for the lore aspect tho, even if they are more or less gender neutral the artists did not choose to portray them as so ( I would of went with one choice myself instead of splitting them into sexes, because that would emphathise the whole gender neutral aspect.) which I get but again I think it just serves to confuse people, as you kinda can tell from on here.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Vutar View Post
    This is just information to anyone who does/does not want to experience it in the game. If you play this race you will not have a choice but to be exposed to it. Frankly I do not care that it is in the game, some may be glad it is others wont' be. However, for some reason Anet has decided to keep this hidden not giving a choice to the player whether or not to see it in their game.

Leave your hate and intolerance out. I could careless about why you think <insert religious group> is wrong or why you think homosexuality is. This is simply information so that those playing can make a choice for themselves.
    Actually, you can avoid it, you just don't pick the green knight.
    That being said, it's not really homosexuality, because the sylvari don't have genders. They can mimic genders, but for all intents and purposes they are genderless, what looks like a male sylvari and a female sylvari in some form of intimate relations, is in fact just two sylvari in intimate relations, no different from two male looking, or two female looking. All of their external anatomy is deception, layers of bark and leaves that look something like what we'd attribute to a humanoid's gender or physical form. If you put a dress on a lawnmower does that make it a female lawnmower, could that lawnmower then only be paired with lawnmowers that are given something to mimic a social convention for a male gender designation in order for it to be considered not to be in a homosexual relationship? No, the entire concept is absurd, it's a lawnmower, it is genderless, if there a features that happen to mimic a gender designation, that doesn't mean it has a gender.
    In general the op's post is bad, as it is entirely out of bounds of the lore of the game as well as the reality of the information provided to you (you can avoid the scenario in question the op has taken offense to).

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    As for the lore aspect tho, even if they are more or less gender neutral the artists did not choose to portray them as so ( I would of went with one choice myself instead of splitting them into sexes, because that would emphathise the whole gender neutral aspect.) which I get but again I think it just serves to confuse people, as you kinda can tell from on here.
    There is a pretty legit lore reason at least, they copied the form of the humans. So their form is simply a copy of another race and irrelevant to their actual makeup. The inherent traits of the race aren't carried over as well so gender notions don't apply.

Yes, they're gay. They probably shag like leafy rabbits and also I don't care.

Though I do worry about splinters in uncomfortable locations...

Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    Actually, you can avoid it, you just don't pick the green knight.
    That being said, it's not really homosexuality, because the sylvari don't have genders. They can mimic genders, but for all intents and purposes they are genderless, what looks like a male sylvari and a female sylvari in some form of intimate relations, is in fact just two sylvari in intimate relations, no different from two male looking, or two female looking. All of their external anatomy is deception, layers of bark and leaves that look something like what we'd attribute to a humanoid's gender or physical form. If you put a dress on a lawnmower does that make it a female lawnmower, could that lawnmower then only be paired with lawnmowers that are given something to mimic a social convention for a male gender designation in order for it to be considered not to be in a homosexual relationship? No, the entire concept is absurd, it's a lawnmower, it is genderless, if there a features that happen to mimic a gender designation, that doesn't mean it has a gender.
    In general the op's post is bad, as it is entirely out of bounds of the lore of the game as well as the reality of the information provided to you (you can avoid the scenario in question the op has taken offense to).

It's not even a matter of sexuality.
    It's assumption by the OP that he knows what beloved means, and not what it actually means.

10+ Year Old Account
    CONTROVERSIALITY! It's what keeps us all from chewing our own hands off!

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    There is a pretty legit lore reason at least, they copied the form of the humans. So their form is simply a copy of another race and irrelevant to their actual makeup. The inherent traits of the race aren't carried over as well so gender notions don't apply.
    Well If two robots one day decide to experiment with dressing as one sex or another, wouldn't we start to identify them as He, or She? The biology might be sexless but you really think people wouldn't attribute gender to them? I know most people would see a robot in a dress and call it, She.
    That is neither here nor there, because the assumption the characters are homosexual is based on the words used, which if you take a second, really does not mean what the OP thinks it does.

I'm not sure what is worse people attacking me for no apparent reason or people here expecting those with strong beliefs one way or the other to agree with them. Typical MMORPG posters, "tolerance as long as you agree with me."

This was nothing but for information for those who may be offended. If you don't like it, don't read it. You can leave your hate and intolerance at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    Well If two robots one day decide to experiment with dressing as one sex or another, wouldn't we start to identify them as He, or She? The biology might be sexless but you really think people wouldn't attribute gender to them? I know most people would see a robot in a dress and call it, She.
    That is neither here nor there, because the assumption the characters are homosexual is based on the words used, which if you take a second, really does not mean what the OP thinks it does.
    Yeah, it's the perception that matters. And the thing is, if you're not stopping for a second to think, "A race of plant people who can't reproduce normally and are inwardly genderless can't have a sexual orientation!", then you're not stopping to try and figure out what "beloved" means. Generally the word is used in a romantic sense, so most people will spring to that meaning unfortunately.

Just a quick note about the depicted relationship in question. After any given personal story event, you can stick around and ask the npcs about the situation. They explain many details to you if you do. I asked Caithe about them and she described them as a young couple very much in love. I then had the option to ask something like "A couple?" and she replied something about "the sylvari love as we will and go where our hearts lead us" etc. Sorry I didn't get a screen.

You can check it out before beta ends if you have time or care.

Tl;dr: if you don't rush out immediately after completing your quest/task, Caithe explains they are indeed a romantic couple. I'd get a screen but I'm posting from bed.
    Last edited by summourn; 2012-07-23 at 05:32 AM.