Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    You do it because it's fun. I'd do a raid in WoW that would give me no reward if I had never done it before (and if it was still challenging), and even if the gear doesn't look appealing to you, there is still a prestige factor that goes along with it. Some of the most prestigious stuff in WoW is purely cosmetic; mimron's head and the pheonix mount from TK come to mind.

We don't know if Expansion will not add new levels and higher stated gear or not yet, I'll assume they won't.
    Well then i personally think that is lacking.
    No doubt about it, if there is new content, i will try it out, cause i want to see it.
    But why more than once (or X times of runs to get all out of the story for example), if i don't like the gear?
    For me there is no prestige in something i don't like.

The cosmetic stuff in WoW is simply additional stuff, not the main reason to do anything.
    I don't think thats actually comparable really.

Well time will tell i guess.
    Anyone here who played GW1?
    What kind of content did the expansions actually offer?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HavaanSoup View Post
    I did quite a few of those jumping puzzles ( SOOOOO FFUUUUN) the reward was a short cutscene, completely worth it.
    This is so true, I laughed my arse off doing jumping puzzles. "Ok..steady...NOOOOOO AAAAH *splat*".

10+ Year Old Account
    To each their own... I personally never felt extremely motivated by "better gear" in WoW, I was always motivated to see content, and the gear was simply what got in my way of doing what I wanted to do, it wasn't much a reward.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    If the game is fun, people will play.

Once you get the full PVP set in WoW, do you continue playing? If not, what was the point?

Plus people will farm for a unique look.

Look at games like BF3 or CoD, there is no huge reward for playing it, sure you can unlock weapons, but they are not OP weapons that guarantee you to beat newbies.
    Arena ladders/rating

CoD-BF3 Leaderboards, gain rank unlocking guns etc
    War requires the sledge hammer, but will be decided by the scalpal
    Intel i5 2500k -Intel 330 180GB SSD - Saphire HD OC Edition 7870 - Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77

Quote Originally Posted by ZerOKami View Post
    Oh, and when there's no "Best in Slot" for everything and anything, you can actually pursue different looks and gear combinations.
    But there are best items for the way you want to customise your character. I was listening to an interview with an arenanet guy talking about what is the difference between the rare items if at endgame stats didn't matter. He said there would be items that stacked in a certain attribute. A sword perhaps that would give you enormous amounts of power and not much in anything else.

So they are trying to give you flexibility in gearing your character while at the same time not overpowering them.

the truth is, there really is no point to the progression of Guild Wars, because it doesn't exist, neither in this one or the originals. its just a giant money grab for ncsoft because the majority of the games they make are downright terrible. The only people who like the game are people who can't legitimately play games because they can't have everything spoonfed to them like Guild Wars does. there is no skill, pvp is decided by who buys the most expansions and has the best cookie cutter build. There is also no real content or progression, because once you get through the storyline and get to droknar's forge or the kurzick/luxon areas etc., thats the end of your gear progression, everything afterwards is purely cosmetic and only a foolish child would find value in shiny objects that don't increase your power in any way, shape, or form

and don't even get me started on the pathetic joke of endgame content that was the Fissure of Woe and underworld...dear christ, and on top of that, there isn't even a threat system so how exactly do you form reliable groups? all we ever did was box monsters in and hope to god they didn't run past our "tanks"

If you want to waste years of your life farming gold for some new set of armor that barely looks any different unless you play a warrior because thats the only class that you can actually make out because it isnt skinny as a twig and lacking of any sort of muscular build, then be my guest
    Last edited by rasako; 2012-07-23 at 01:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rasako View Post
    the truth is, there really is no point to the progression of Guild Wars, because it doesn't exist, neither in this one or the originals. its just a giant money grab for ncsoft because the majority of the games they make are downright terrible. The only people who like the game are people who can't legitimately play games because they can't have everything spoonfed to them like Guild Wars does. there is no skill, pvp is decided by who buys the most expansions and has the best cookie cutter build. There is also no real content or progression, because once you get through the storyline and get to droknar's forge or the kurzick/luxon areas etc., thats the end of your gear progression, everything afterwards is purely cosmetic and only a foolish child would find value in shiny objects that don't increase your power in any way, shape, or form
    So much wrong with this, I can't even begin to tell you where to even start.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

pathetic, can't even come up with an argument, must not have played the original, I'm well aware of the flaws of guild wars, having played it and accrued the silver eagle set and 15k platemail, as well as starting on my fissure of woe but never finishing because I realized it was nothing more than a half eaten carrot on a short stick

10+ Year Old Account
    pathetic, can't even come up with an argument, must not have played the original, I'm well aware of the flaws of guild wars, having played it and accrued the silver eagle set and 15k platemail, as well as starting on my fissure of woe but never finishing because I realized it was nothing more than a half eaten carrot on a short stick
    You're getting blocked, you're not worth my breath, and I honestly don't give a fuck what you think.

If that's the case, there's no reason to post about it.
    Last edited by Sunshine; 2012-07-25 at 12:28 AM.

As long as I feel like I got my $60 out of it I could care less. If it becomes "unfun" then I'll just move on and try something new.
    Intel i5 3570K @ 4.5 GHz | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series | EVGA GTX 780SC with ACX cooler| Crucial M4 128GB | Samsung 840 256GB| Western Digital Caviar Blue 500 GB |Western Digital 1 TB Black | CM Hyper 212 Evo (with a push/pull config) | Fractal Design Arc Midi | SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze | Corsair K60 | Razor Naga |JVC HARX900 | BenQ RL2455 | Samsung Syncmaster S24B300

i hate pvp, i love competition, i have nothing to find in this game

10+ Year Old Account
    How is a gear grind any different by running dungeons for cosmetics in the first place in reality every mmo stats get flatlined which makes most items no different than pure cosmetics
    this thread keeps appearing every week, how much endgame content in reality has any current mmo have to offer the same drole dailys because you need to farm rep herioic dungeons for tokens and dragon soul for 7 months on a sub fee ( example)

Guild wars 2 offers cosmetic items from heriocs (which im actually excited about I like the idea of getting gear because you can and for pure looks not because you forced to upgrade hunt) a tournament pvp system the minigames and most thing thats sparked my interest over the three bwes on a free to play model
    more than wow did in 7 years of playing on and off
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishpaladin View Post
    CoD-BF3 Leaderboards, gain rank unlocking guns etc
    FPS games before the BF series had zero in the way of upgrades or individual progress, and were played for years because ... they're good games. One of them (at least) even had a yearly con built around it. A good PvP game needs no carrot on a stick if the gameplay itself is rewarding.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshitsuna View Post
    Just i dunno, i always read "we wan't to bring the RPG to MMO's", for me that means you can do a lot to improve/build up your char (cause that's what a RPG is about for me, moar numbers).
    well that's where you and me are different mate.
    Gear progression to me is not really RPG. RPG to me is 'being able to activle participate in a story, being able to make a name for myself and really sink in the world called Tyria'. Getting gear is cool and all that, but it's really not needed in a role playing game.

I've been waiting for an MMO that steps away from the gear grind and it's finally here
    Warrior, getting my face smashed in because I love it

"The Perfect Raid Design Drawn by me .

Quote Originally Posted by MrSerious View Post
    But there are best items for the way you want to customise your character. I was listening to an interview with an arenanet guy talking about what is the difference between the rare items if at endgame stats didn't matter. He said there would be items that stacked in a certain attribute. A sword perhaps that would give you enormous amounts of power and not much in anything else.

So they are trying to give you flexibility in gearing your character while at the same time not overpowering them.
    Kind of this. It's like...you can get to level 80 and continue to find different gear that have different attributes. What kind of build are you going for? Do you want lots of healing added so you can try to play more of a support role? Do you want a crapload of precision to go with your crit build? Or do you want to build pure power? Just because certain weapons or armors aren't STRONGER, doesn't mean there won't be desired sets for you to try to accumulate. There is still rarity factors to consider I'd suspect, so it's not that there isn't a grind...it's just less of one in terms of how you acquire it (Drops->Crafting->Dungeons->Raids vs. ...Crating=Drops=Dungeons=etc. mostly).

That being said, there is always the idea of cosmetics, which half of us really play for. I only collected 120+ pets and 100+ mounts in WoW because they looked cool and I wanted to.

And someone above brought up another good point regarding FPS or just games in general. When a game is good and has replayability (See: Every profession provides new experience, as well as every race has their own story, as well as each race has multiple lines, as well as there will be DE's and other stuff patched without expansions), you will keep playing it. How many times did I play Final Fantasy Tactics or Counter Strike or Halo with my friends because it was fun? Not applicable, you say? How long did I play WoW just for cosmetics or to run random dungeons with friends because we had fun?

People get caught up on the word 'end-game' and really don't understand what their own end-game is. You see less gear progression and think it will lose interest just because of that one factor. You say you're not interested in cosmetics and only care about stats. Chances are, you'll be in GW2 having a lot of fun and "grinding" for that gear you want at the same time...only we won't call it grinding, we'll just label it as "having fun".

The best grind is a masked, incognito grind.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2012-07-23 at 01:55 PM.

The basic thing is this: in WoW you chase bigger numbers.
    In GW2 you will do whatever content you deem fun.

Being given freedom is something that people can't grasp..

pathetic
    say hello to our daylie troll good to know you won't play GW2, it's a win win.

only a foolish child would find value in shiny objects that don't increase your power in any way, shape, or form
    You just called nearly every player in WoW that has bought a different new mount, or farmed for one, or felt excited they won one during a raid a foolish child.
    The amount of people that have more than one ground mount and one flying mount would be extremely high.

I think you under estimate the value of comestic changes.

LoL is one of the most played games in the world if not THE most played game. In 2006 Riot games recieved $1million dollars in funding, now its valued at $400million. That game makes its money from selling skins only (its a completely free game), those skins are comestic only and "don't increase your power in any way, shape, or form"

rasako you should really think more.

Quote Originally Posted by tohyatvc View Post
    The basic thing is this: in WoW you chase bigger numbers.
    In GW2 you will do whatever content you deem fun.

Being given freedom is something that people can't grasp..
    exactly, what people can't see: as you get better gear in those mmos your enemies grow equally stronger, so it's not really changing much, you just have to grind your key to the next raid-entry (t10, t11,...)

In GW2 there are no locked dungeons, once you have level-appropriate gear you can play any available dungeon, even the older ones, since you get downscaled to their level anyway. No dungeon gets trivialized ever, instead: the higher your level, the bigger the number of dungeons available.

10+ Year Old Account
    This board is being overrun with these types of flame bait threads and it needs to end. If this game isn’t for you, fine go where you want but please stop cluttering up these forums with rhetoric and nonsense.