Jack Daniel’s Sends the Most Polite Cease-and-Desist Letter Ever

http://mashable.com/2012/07/22/jack-...demark-letter/

When Patrick Wensink was commissioning the cover for his book, Broken Piano For President, he probably wasn’t expecting a cease-and-desist letter from Jack Daniel’s Properties — the owner of the Jack Daniel’s trademarks
    fantastic - an offer to contribute the change from JD themselves as well - now thats the RIGHT WAY of a cease and desist letter - APPLE et al , should take note.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanthalus View Post
    http://mashable.com/2012/07/22/jack-...demark-letter/

fantastic - an offer to contribute the change from JD themselves as well - now thats the RIGHT WAY of a cease and desist letter - APPLE et al , should take note.
    Jack Daniel's has a great PR department from the looks of it. Not sure that they would have been guaranteed to win a case had it gone to court though, as it's a book and not a rival brand of drink - e.g. JD couldn't argue that people buying the book thought they would be buying a bottle of bourbon.

Awesome reaction from them. If the company (I know this is just one individual, not a company)that did this was some corporate giant, things would have probably been completely different, though. Then again, what company like that would be dumb enough to do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Jack Daniel's has a great PR department from the looks of it. Not sure that they would have been guaranteed to win a case had it gone to court though, as it's a book and not a rival brand of drink - e.g. JD couldn't argue that people buying the book thought they would be buying a bottle of bourbon.
    I'm pretty sure they'd have a hell of a strong case. It doesn't matter that the products are not similar in any way. What do you think would happen if Apple's apple was put on apples (as in, a bag of apples)? The word apple has lost its meaning now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Creotor View Post
    Awesome reaction from them. If the company (I know this is just one individual, not a company)that did this was some corporate giant, things would have probably been completely different, though. Then again, what company like that would be dumb enough to do that?

I'm pretty sure they'd have a hell of a strong case. It doesn't matter that the products are not similar in any way. What do you think would happen if Apple's apple was put on apples (as in, a bag of apples)? The word apple has lost its meaning now.
    A strong case? Yes. A guaranteed win? Not sure. Cost JD a lot more money in legal fees for something that won't affect their sales? Definitely.

Incidentally, Apple themselves were sued over their logo by the Beatles, and the Beatles won. Apple were allowed to continue using the logo, but not allowed to use it on products for music. Google "Apple Sosumi" for details.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    A strong case? Yes. A guaranteed win? Not sure. Cost JD a lot more money in legal fees for something that won't affect their sales? Definitely.

Incidentally, Apple themselves were sued over their logo by the Beatles, and the Beatles won. Apple were allowed to continue using the logo, but not allowed to use it on products for music. Google "Apple Sosumi" for details.
    Well, I never did argue the last 2 points. Although, I doubt they'd have to spend all that much. It would largely depend on how shaky the case is and how wealthy the opponent is, which seems to be nowhere near Jack Daniel's. And if this guy for some reason decides to say no, not taking it to court would be detrimental to their profits AND the company image because they'd then look like a pushover and would likely become subject to an increased amount of copyright infringements which I'm sure you realize is bad.
    If you're actually well informed about this, then I won't argue, because I'm not, this is just going off common sense and what I've skimmed from news.

Interesting - about Apple vs Apple.