Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

what English and US news sources are the most neutral?

there's this website in Belgium, "Krantenkoppen.be" that allows you to choose which newspapers you want to hear news from. i've already got my own newspaper (standaard), the science section of my own newspaper, ZDNet and Wired added, but i'm looking for a reputable English source as well. i'm currently using CNN for that, but there might another news source amongst them that gives news that's not politically or socially colored at all.

http://www.krantenkoppen.be/?rub=overzicht is the list i can use.

BBC, Al-Jazeera English, & the CBC.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

Deleted
    The BBC are usually pretty fair, as are Al-Jazeera.

If they have advertising, they arent neutral

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    If you are asking for neutral US news, there really isn't any major source for that. Fox News is right and MSNBC is left. CNN is somewhere in the middle but leans left from a little bit to full on campaigning for Obama depending on the day. Please don't take CNN as neutral. They are hardly that.

I really haven't found anything in the US that is neutral political wise other than Politifact or Factcheck. Though, these are really news organizations. They just report on how much truth is in the political statements on both sides of the aisle.

Realistically, if you want to know about US politics, you should take a look at the news sights that cover/cater to both sides of the spectrum. Often times, what isn't being reported on one site, but is being reported on the others or vice versa is more telling than the news itself.

Fox news channel. Is the fairest you can get. Most of them are leftist.

Calling FNC only Right. Is based on self assumptions.

Sorry but it has to be said.

In the US, the most neutral source is NPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Good one!

10 chars

This.

And the Daily Show.

NPR is the best IMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely NPR. I tend to forget about them since I don't listen to the radio that often. >_>
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    This.

And the Daily Show.
    I'm going to assume that was sarcasm. Yes, I watch the show.

This.

And the Daily Show.
    Daily Show is awesome! I watch it like... daily!

Quote Originally Posted by Feardotwin View Post
    Fox news channel. Is the fairest you can get.
    Must be true, since they are not going to Canada.

http://sayitaintsoalready.com/2011/0...ing-newscasts/

Fairest indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Talokami View Post
    Definitely NPR. I tend to forget about them since I don't listen to the radio that often. >_>
    Neither do I, but I listen to a couple podcasts from the local NPR channel. A bit dry, but still solid.

Also, OP, if you can put up with extremely dry style, CSPAN is quite good.

Also, OP, if you can put up with extremely dry style, CSPAN is quite good.
    idk... when they show the raw congressional hearings without commentary, I'm pretty sure everyone speaking is still biased in some way...

Deleted
    Al Jazeera English is pretty good, bbc world service. I wouldn't call them neutral but they report things well and have a range of views. If your a mad nationalist of any country you won't like them. Al Jazeera English has a good programme called listening post where they basically report on the world news media, which is such a great concept and you can view most of them on the Al Jazeera English website free of charge.
    Last edited by mmoc4dbf57f1e8; 2012-07-23 at 10:50 PM.

idk... when they show the raw congressional hearings without commentary, I'm pretty sure everyone speaking is still biased in some way...
    Oh, absolutely, but if you're the viewer and applying the filter of understanding who the speaker is, there's almost nothing you can get that's a better source for understanding what's going on in Congress. I realize no one has the time to do that all the time though, which is why I suggested NPR in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I'm going to assume that was sarcasm. Yes, I watch the show.
    To be fair - had it not been for their american media's way of branding things then it would have been considered neutral. It certainly would have in my country. Its a comedy show - that the only "right wing" news station does so many hilarious things is not their fault. The recent ones he has been making jokes out of the NY Mayor because of the soda but not marijuana ban.
    His comedy is based on absurdity not ideology.