Thread: DOTA like games

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    LoL will probably keep you entertained longer it is updated alot and takes awhile to get some champions
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Quote Originally Posted by Hermanni View Post
    The tick frequency right now on Dota 2 servers is 20Hz. That equals an average of 25ms added delay. I tested it myself by looking at 60 FPS fraps of myself playing frame-by-frame. My ping is usually 40 or a bit less and the amount of frames that went between click and action was usually 3 or 4 frames, putting my average total delay at 60-70 ms.
    He's most likely referring to the split second "cast times" of spells in DotA2 combined with turning animations.

LoL and HoN have removed these elements from their respective games.

Amazing how biased some of these replies are.

LoL is considered the easiest of all the new aRTS (action RTS/moba) games on the market. Denying/losing gold on death is removed. Game generally rewards farming more than ganking.

DotA2 keeps all the elements of the original DotA with interface and graphical improvements. Players switching over from HoN and LoL will often complain about the "delay" in DotA2. Refer to my comment on top. DotA2 is the most punishing (and I feel that because of this, the most rewarding at the highest level of play) aRTS game. Denying/losing gold on death forces players to think carefully about their actions.
    Last edited by Ragefest; 2012-10-02 at 09:09 PM.

You obviously don't play LoL or pay attention to its new champions, stop throwing out false information as fact.
    LOOOOOOL.

I'm not even going to argue with this, holy shit lol.

LoL will probably keep you entertained longer it is updated alot and takes awhile to get some champions
    This is a matter of opinion. Personally I really hate LoL's unlock system, especially because it takes so long to get IP (since they want to promote buying RP to unlock champions.)

dont pick Hon. not because its bad (i think LOL is the worst of the games), but because the community is harsh and unfriendly. and its the least beginner freindly of the 3.

For i beginner i whould recomend Dota 2. There is an option to que up with other beginners to play against bots. The bots have suprisingly good ai and they will teach you the basics of the game such as lasthitting creeps, denying, going in a grp together to do teamfights at later lvls and leaving lanes to gank, and so on. You will also learn each hero as you play and eventually you will have an understanding of wich combination of heroes to be very careful of and wich ones you can be agreesive against.

also as you start playing against real players you will not get stomped by skilled players. since you start at the very lowest possible "rating". (Unlike Hon where you start at the average rating like you did in arenas be4 in wow, a new player coming to hon will end up losing his first 10 games be4 he end up with ppl more similar to his own skill.)

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    HoN sometimes peaks to 100k players.

That's about as much as Runescape has at peak times.

Dota 2 has way more than 100,000 players at any given time.

HoN can peak to 140 sometimes (not that it's OMG SO MUCH but it's still not dead by far)

Runescape is still going strong with the playerbase

As i said, Dota 2 is better in everything except for the extra added delay.

Deleted
    WARNING: SUBJECTIVE OPINION BELOW.

I prefer Dota (Did my avatar give it away?). I played the original DotA a tiny bit when the mod was first released, but quickly dropped it. I tried both League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth when they were released, but I couldn't get into either of them. Shelved the genre until the announcement of Dota 2, got into the beta around 7 months ago and have been working hard to learn the game since then.

Dota 2 was really rough to get into. Especially because it lacks features such as tutorials etc. (Game is still technically in closed beta) and I had a very limited idea of what I was doing. Luckily I had some buddies to help me with the basics and after the first thirty games or so, I actually started feeling like I knew what I was doing (To an extent, Dota 2 is a constant learning experience... Lots of reading helped too!).

After I had played roughly 200 games of Dota 2, my buddies convinced me to try out League of Legends. I ended up playing roughly 60 games of LoL matchmaking before I concluded that the game wasn't for me. The maps felt cramped, the artificial barrier between players of different levels and partially locked away hero roster (Not to mention that some of the heroes are painfully similar) just killed it for me.

Now before people who enjoy LoL kill me, let me just clarify that I didn't think the game was complete and utter garbage and that Dota 2 players are the masterrace. Nothing like that. I had a lot of fun playing League of Legends. It is a fun game. I just felt like I would rather sink my time into Dota 2, as I feel that it is more rewarding (Combined with some of my issues with the LoL above).

TL;DR

If you're looking for a more casual, perhaps less demanding experience (No offense meant, there is still a lot of skill involved in League of Legends), I'd say give League of Legends a go.

If you're willing to invest some time into really understanding a game and not giving up after 10 games where you get obliterated, try Dota 2. It is one of the most gratifying games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. It is even better when you're learning with friends! Be warned though, Dota 2 will be a rougher ride than League of Legends to understand and get good at.

League of Legends is F2P, which is a plus. Easily accesible (Dota 2 will be F2P upon release too). If you want to play Dota 2 however, you can

A: Sign up on their website and hope that sweet lady luck smiles
    B: Buy the starting bundle (Its like 25-30£, I forget), which gives you immediate access to the beta and a bunch of item sets for some of the heroes (I actually think this bundle gives you two extra keys to give out to friends as well)
    C: Download Team Fortress 2. Buy 3 Keys for 6£ and trade those keys for a beta invite.

Have fun with whatever you choose!

IMO LoL (League of Legends) is the best one by a long shot. Ignore the ones saying that one requires more skill than another one.

Its also the best one to begin with.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 08:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ragefest View Post
    LoL is considered the easiest of all the new aRTS (action RTS/moba) games on the market. Denying/losing gold on death is removed. Game generally rewards farming more than ganking.
    Sorry to quote you, but i see this lie repeated a lot.

EHOME has DOMINATED Dota tournaments for YEARS by farming and turtling, yet people keep repeating that is LoL the one that rewards farming over ganking, even when in LoL you see a lot more ganking thanks to the jungle role.

In a fight between two good teams, there is a lot more ganking in LoL than in Dota/HoN.

Deleted
    Simplified version:

LoL is simple but fun
    DotA is more complex but can be more rewarding
    HoN is dead
    SMITE is a joke

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    HoN is run by idiots (and dead)
    Allow me to correct you, little one.
    Last edited by Coffer; 2012-10-03 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashdummy View Post
    Sorry to quote you, but i see this lie repeated a lot.

EHOME has DOMINATED Dota tournaments for YEARS by farming and turtling, yet people keep repeating that is LoL the one that rewards farming over ganking, even when in LoL you see a lot more ganking thanks to the jungle role.

In a fight between two good teams, there is a lot more ganking in LoL than in Dota/HoN.
    I'd say it's more that DotA can award both types depending on team comp, Lycan can just never leave the jungle while Chen has to be out early enough and put pressure on the enemy while the differences in LoL are a lot less pronounced so ganking is more or less mandatory.

LoL is the best for starters, simplistic mechanics (no runes, no gold loss on death, no creeps denying, etc).

HoN is a bit more steep, more advanced stuff are added, yet (a lot) more polished, imo.

Dota 2 is very similar to HoN, but has some.. slow-mo effect to me, all of the animations, the responsiveness too, everything feels too slow.

edit: I don't see how people can say HoN is dead, its still very much played, and the player count is constantly rising.
    Last edited by Nebthet; 2012-10-03 at 11:47 AM.
    Estás usando este software de traducción de forma incorrecta. Por favor, consulta el manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycoris View Post
    I'd say it's more that DotA can award both types depending on team comp, Lycan can just never leave the jungle while Chen has to be out early enough and put pressure on the enemy while the differences in LoL are a lot less pronounced so ganking is more or less mandatory.
    Both award both type of players.

People say LoL prmotes farming, but the best LoL team in the moment is M5, which is a heavy ganking and gaining early advantage team, while other succesfull teams as CLG are more of the farming type.

The fun part is EHOME dominating Dota by farming and M5 dominating LoL by ganking while people keeps saying Dota promotes ganking and LoL farming which is obviously a misconception.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Right now, there is a not a doubt in my mind that the answer to your question is League of Legends. It's the most fun imo, "relatively" easy to pick up and has a lot of champions to pick from. Also it's champions reaction time is by far the best of the MOBA's I've tried.
    DOTA 2 might be a competitor when it comes out and if they get the reaction time fixed by then. (The reaction times from when you assign a move to the hero does it, is horrifying really, made me drop it after two games , when I got my beta invite)

HoN.. I have nothing good to say about this..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jegerhellig View Post
    and if they get the reaction time fixed by then. (The reaction times from when you assign a move to the hero does it, is horrifying really, made me drop it after two games , when I got my beta invite)
    What you're probably experiencing is the turn speed and casting/attack animations. They're deliberate.

Both award both type of players.

People say LoL prmotes farming, but the best LoL team in the moment is M5, which is a heavy ganking and gaining early advantage team, while other succesfull teams as CLG are more of the farming type.

The fun part is EHOME dominating Dota by farming and M5 dominating LoL by ganking while people keeps saying Dota promotes ganking and LoL farming which is obviously a misconception.
    LoL doesn't reward afkfarming junglers at all, though.

Deleted
    While I am sure there are a lot of people who live to fuel the fire between the two playerbases and constantly spew misconceptions, I'd just like to point out that making a general statement based on the playstyle of two teams doesn't say much.

And EHOME haven't finished first in a tournament for almost a year
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Tournaments

LoL doesn't reward afkfarming junglers at all, though.
    I dont understand what you mean with afkfarming junglers.

Deleted
    I dont understand what you mean with afkfarming junglers.
    Imagine Yi jungle except viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Varix View Post
    While I am sure there are a lot of people who live to fuel the fire between the two playerbases and constantly spew misconceptions, I'd just like to point out that making a general statement based on the playstyle of two teams doesn't say much.

And EHOME haven't finished first in a tournament for almost a year
    http://www.dota2wiki.com/wiki/Tournaments
    I'm showing examples of the most succesfull teams in both games playing the way people say the game DOESN'T promote.
    If both teams play the game opposite to what people say the game should not be played and are successfull then the people saying that have a misconception.

About EHOME winning or not a tournament and the link you provided, you might have missed that i always talked about DOTA and not DOTA 2, since DOTA 2 is not even out yet. I wont compare games on existance against a closed beta game.

---------- Post added 2012-10-03 at 10:00 AM ----------

Imagine Yi jungle except viable.
    Still not get it, sorry. What does an afkfarming jungler do to be called like that?

First time i hear the term, sorry if i dont get what you mean.

Deleted
    Still not get it, sorry. What does an afkfarming jungler do to be called like that?

First time i hear the term, sorry if i dont get what you mean.
    He farms so much that, to his team, he may as well be AFK because he's not really contributing anything for now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope some of you people know that League of Legends wasn't free whenever it first came out. It was actually in stores for a little while, I guess no one really knew what it was at the time so they went the free way and the ability to purchase in game stuff like most games are today. They have been very succesful. It is a great game though for people that is wanting to put some effort into the game and learn it.

The only thing I don't like about the MOBA based games now a day its hard to just get up and have to do something else cause then you leave your team with 4 and then its game over. What I'm saying there is no pause button lol. Its battle it out for 40+ minutes most games. You can't say BRB BIO, AFK, etc.. or anything like that like you can in WoW because that really can result in a loss for your team. That's why I can't play it unless I know I'm for sure gonna be able to sit down for at least an hour and not have to move, with the wife being pregnant and all its a big concern now, but I don't wanna let my team down.

So yea the community is a beast, this game is strived around team work, the professional levels are very fun to watch on streams and MLG. I've played DOTA 2 beta,to just check it out and it actually seemed like a much different game but after learning LoL I didn't really wanna put fourth the time and effort into another smiliar game. Which we are a creature of habit I haven't been able to quit WoW for another MMORPG and I've tried theres just nothing as fun or what I'm use to. So pick one and stick with it, there is a big learning curve but there are actually plenty of guides on how to build your character during the game. LoL you actually have a Summoner Level so I wouldn't take it to serious until you hit 30.