The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

what temp should my gpu be at?

i have an msi twin frozrr 7850 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...20frozr%207850), and i was wondering what temperatures this should be sitting at, at a core clock, my case doesnt have great airflow and its currently at about 60 degrees celcius, should i go buy a new case and get new fans or what should i do?

edit: 60 degrees when playing wow on ultra havent tested other games yet

Totally fine. You can start to feel uneasy when it hits 80°C, worry when it hits 90°C and hit the panic button when it hits 100°C. If your case has a fan mounting point on the side panel, using that to blow some air onto the graphics card would help lower the temperatures of the graphics card and the motherboard components. 60°C is totally fine though.

60C is pretty cold for a gpu. Mine is around 64-70 depenting if its hot outside

That's fine. GPU's are designed to safely operate at 80-85C without problems. My GTX 470 which is a hot card, runs WoW on ultra settings @ 1920x1200 usually around 70-75C @ 60% fan speed. Games like BF3 will push it to 85C+ if I don't put the fan to 70%.

What fan speed are you using?
    Intel i5 6600k - Gigabyte Z170X-UD3 - Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 @ 2400Mhz - Asus Strix GTX 1080 - Asus PG279Q - Samsung Evo 850 500GB SSD

My GTX465 gets up to around 70, but as it gets hotter, the fan also picks up, and it seems to level off at around 70. No matter what I push on it (BF3 at max settings, for example), it never gets any hotter.

I had a problem for a while that my fan wasn't kicking in like it should, but I switched programs back to EVGA Precision, and it also has a LCD display on my keyboard that shows me the current temperature and fan speed (and fps, which is handy in games that don't have in-game fps counters, although I have one in WoW already). As long as I see the fan speed keeping pace with the temperature, I don't worry about it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the responses, problem is im using a lenovo case so i dont have a huge sidefan and the case is a bit hot, so it worries me, and i have my fans pretty high because i was getting worried, (85%) and it seems i was just panicing, but anyways case is hot nothing to worry about right?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enhshamanlol View Post
    60C is pretty cold for a gpu. Mine is around 64-70 depenting if its hot outside
    No, 20-40 is pretty cold. Which is what my Twin Frozr II 560 Ti idles around, it's gone even down to 23 Celsius. Hell when I am gaming, depending on the game, I'll range from 45 Celsius to 60 Celsius, soooo. =S 60 is average/lukewarm.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I think mine idles at something like 40°C after I've been playing games and it throttles the cooler right down to damn near inaudible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanator1989 View Post
    That's fine. GPU's are designed to safely operate at 80-85C without problems. My GTX 470 which is a hot card, runs WoW on ultra settings @ 1920x1200 usually around 70-75C @ 60% fan speed. Games like BF3 will push it to 85C+ if I don't put the fan to 70%.

What fan speed are you using?
    Sounds like there is a hair dryer on full power in your case past 60% fan speed doesn't it? I had the same card till i grabbed a 670. When i first put it in i was paranoid that the gpu fan wasn't working because it was silent and kept panicking and alt tabbing to check afterburner.

And op dont worry too much till you start pushing into 80+

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    No, 20-40 is pretty cold. Which is what my Twin Frozr II 560 Ti idles around, it's gone even down to 23 Celsius. Hell when I am gaming, depending on the game, I'll range from 45 Celsius to 60 Celsius, soooo. =S 60 is average/lukewarm.
    Hold up there, completely depends on the GPU what you consider "average". A TFII cooler is total overkill for a 560 Ti, which is a GPU you could cool by getting my grandmother to blow at it. Strap the same cooler to a 680/7970 and your averages hit ~72-75c, 80-85+ if overclocking while trying to keep the fans low so it doesn't sound like a jet engine.

@ OP 60c on loads is pretty damn chilled, don't worry about it. My card hits 85-88c all the time.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-07-24 at 04:56 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    I wouldn't worry too much before 90's

My 7970 is 28-30c on idle =On WoW it doesn't go over 45c =Highest ive seen it is 55-60c on BF3 ultra preset. My 7970 is using aftermarket cooler though, not stock. The fanspeed is only at 20% as well.

My previous GPU - GTX 570, would run much higher. around 45-50idle/70-80 load, but it was stock fan at 50% fan speed.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Dude what are you talking about? You're dumping so much irrelevant stuff mate. First you compare two different cards with eachother, first mistake. Second you compare a card which is being used with one at idle.. Third nobody gets same temps due to different cases, coolers and not to forget the room temperature. If he gets 60c running WoW at ultra on a 27" most likely 1080p that is flawless. Better temps are not needed as his GPU has a limit of 90-95c.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    Dude what are you talking about? You're dumping so much irrelevant stuff mate. First you compare two different cards with eachother, first mistake. Second you compare a card which is being used with one at idle.. Third nobody gets same temps due to different cases, coolers and not to forget the room temperature. If he gets 60c running WoW at ultra on a 27" most likely 1080p that is flawless. Better temps are not needed as his GPU has a limit of 90-95c.
    I guess I should have made myself more clear. The point of my post was basically to say what are cool temps, on average, for GPUs. 60 Celsius really seems like an average-in-use temp. 70s-80s seems like the average, heavy usage temp.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water