i3 530 vs i7 875k

Hey all.

Just having a bit of a doubt.
    Thinking of upgrading my cpu for the sake of Gw2 from an i3 530 to an i7 875k, and slightly overclock it to maybe 3.5ghz or so.
    The i7 is new and an awesome bargain that no current gen. i3's+ mobo can compare to, price-wise.
    So my real question is wether I would see any performance increase, not looking for a great deal ofc.

Thank you

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Umm...

I had to do some Googling to find anything that said anything at all about what the i7-875K *sold* for, when it was being sold.

$342~ and that was all the way back in early 2010.

The i7-875K is an extremely old and very out of date processor, especially for the money.

If you are thinking about upgrading to this, then that means you have the money for an i5-3570K + ASRock Z77 Extreme4, which would be a much better deal to upgrade to.... not to mention can easily be overclocked to 4.3-4.5GHz.

As seen here, the i5-2500K is beating the i7-870, and it seems that the i7-870 was for some reason, slightly better than the i7-875K, going against Intel's typical numbering patterns, but alas, it was a more expensive CPU.

Frankly, an i5-3570K will do *even better* clock for clock as opposed to the i5-2500K and is a newer and stronger tech.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I suppose you just saw the name of the cpu's without regard to what i wrote.

The thing is, the i7 is available to me for a grand ammount of 110 euros, without a need to change the motherboard. Your solution is about 150 euros more expensive if i go with a 2500k + mobo, and that's just stupid in my eyes since i can get a great ssd for that price. So thank you, but that did not answeer my "Actual" question on which cpu is a better choice.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Umm...

I had to do some Googling to find anything that said anything at all about what the i7-875K *sold* for, when it was being sold.

$342~ and that was all the way back in early 2010.

The i7-875K is an extremely old and very out of date processor, especially for the money.

If you are thinking about upgrading to this, then that means you have the money for an i5-3570K + ASRock Z77 Extreme4, which would be a much better deal to upgrade to.... not to mention can easily be overclocked to 4.3-4.5GHz.

As seen here, the i5-2500K is beating the i7-870, and it seems that the i7-870 was for some reason, slightly better than the i7-875K, going against Intel's typical numbering patterns, but alas, it was a more expensive CPU.

Frankly, an i5-3570K will do *even better* clock for clock as opposed to the i5-2500K and is a newer and stronger tech.
    I'd love to see the ivy bridge under air cooling at 5.0 - 5.2 ghz... the sandy bridges both managed it with good temps, but i swear I've seen clocks on the ivy at 4.5 hitting almost 3 digits

Quote Originally Posted by Kezotar View Post
    I'd love to see the ivy bridge under air cooling at 5.0 - 5.2 ghz... the sandy bridges both managed it with good temps, but i swear I've seen clocks on the ivy at 4.5 hitting almost 3 digits
    http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/918/5ghzoctrot.png

Taken from http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=164927

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...=1#post5113544
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-24 at 01:13 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jane View Post
    I suppose you just saw the name of the cpu's without regard to what i wrote.

The thing is, the i7 is available to me for a grand ammount of 110 euros
    Oh I read everything. You however, left this specific bit of detail out. Maybe next time provide ALL of the detail in the initial post? One can clearly tell you did not provide this bit and therefore you have no room to hound me for "not regarding what you wrote."
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water