A [time-consuming and costly] solution to getting ganked in Recruit gear

I am in no way advertising that this saves time. This is meant solely to alleviate the frustration of the squshiness of Recruit gear.

So a guildie and I were shooting the shit last night...he's about to hit 50 on his Maurauder alt, and I was asking him how he liked the AC so far. He said he loved it but was dreading having to start PvP in the 50 tier because of how squishy he'll be in recruit gear at first. We both are in the camp that it's almost impossible to enjoy, and makes the grind to BM and WH gear a miserable experience, especially after being used to playing toons in full WH.

Long story short, we ended up having a forehead slapping "duh" moment when he realized that it would be possible to buy the Legacy Maurauder gear on his Operative, grind out the ranked comms on that toon, and just buy the Maurauder WH/BM gear and drop the mods into the Legacy gear and mail em over.

We acknowledged that this would still be very expensive, and no less time consuming, but would make the initial 50 PvP experience nearly disappear entirely.

Anyways...I'm sure this isn't the first discovery of this trick, but I didnt see any topics about it on these boards, and figured there had to be some like-minded individuals who might appreciate this. I'm not claiming anything really, just sharing what we talked about, as it still seems like a pretty novel idea to me.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amsage View Post
    Long story short, we ended up having a forehead slapping "duh" moment when he realized that it would be possible to buy the Legacy Maurauder gear on his Operative, grind out the ranked comms on that toon, and just buy the Maurauder WH/BM gear and drop the mods into the Legacy gear and mail em over.
    This might work for BM gear, but I'm not sure if it will work for the WH gear. I don't have WH gear so I am not certain if the requirements are tied to the mods or to the shell. I'm assuming that the requirements are tied to the armoring mod to bring it in line with the new way that they have the armoring be the source of the set bonuses.

We talked about this for a bit in my guild about doing the same thing with the BoP mods that you can buy with daily comms.

Deleted
    it should be doable. Its only the shell of the WH gear that requires a valor number to use, IIRC

as you've said it'll be pricey first a good million for the gear then circa 100k to strip each item also remember the 61 armouring is tied to the piece it came from Chest to chest, boots to boots. so you cant just buy the cheapest 61 item as many times over and ripping the mods out.

you can test it with summit cheap tho shoudlnt cost much to test it and if it works it'll be a god send,

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a pretty slick idea. Does it actually work? If so then I might want to start saving for when my next alt "comes of age".

In all reality, it shouldn't be that expensive. They give you 320k when you hit 50 if you choose not to accept the full Recruit set. Given that this really only applies to Helm, Chest, Legs and Feet slots, the extra cost for those 4 pieces shouldn't be too high. You cant really do anything with Implants, Earpiece, Relics, Belt or Bracers (unless you prefer to use Custom Belt and Bracers with non-PvP armoring), and theres no Legacy weapons unfortunately. The real cost is in the ripping out of mods.

And it will work in terms of Valor requirements, as the stock, non-rated, non-custom WH gear has no Valor requirements

What you can do is, on your alt, start converting regular WZ comms into Ranked Comms once you hit Valor 40. If you primarily PvP from 40-50, you can easily be stacked with 3000 ranked and 2000 regular comms, to spend as you see fit when you hit 50 on Implants, Earpiece, Relics, Belt, Bracers or Weapons. Then you have WH gear coming in from 2 angles, and you should have an acceptable Expertise rating and survivability pretty quickly.

I think it goes without saying this process is made significantly quicker by running Ranked WZs exclusively. Unfortunately, my main's AC has been essentially banished from PUG RWZ groups, and my guild does not put groups together often, so I will likely not be experimenting with this theory personally.
    Last edited by amsage; 2012-07-24 at 05:05 PM.