Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Price of Queen's Garnet before MoP

Do you think it will stay steady or rise before MoP? Today we had a very suspicious dumping of 300G-each Queen's Garnet on our AH. In any case though I was wondering if such prices will remain before MoP.

Deleted
    The prices for queen's garnets will almost certainly go down or even plumet. There is no use in them come MoP, since they won't be needed for skilling Jewelcrafting and they obviously won't be as strong as the new gems. I would recommend to get rid of them, while people still put them in their gear. As soon as we get a release date I would predict a heavy drop in the price they fetch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwndabear View Post
    The prices for queen's garnets will almost certainly go down or even plumet. There is no use in them come MoP, since they won't be needed for skilling Jewelcrafting and they obviously won't be as strong as the new gems. I would recommend to get rid of them, while people still put them in their gear. As soon as we get a release date I would predict a heavy drop in the price they fetch.
    The reason I don't do the obvious "they will plummet" and I'm more cautious than that is that the transition period between an Expansion and an old Expansion has usually increased activity. How can you be sure they will plummet in that period? Unless you misunderstood the question, it is not about MoP or after MoP, it's about the transition period and now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fateswarm View Post
    The reason I don't do the obvious "they will plummet" and I'm more cautious than that is that the transition period between an Expansion and an old Expansion has usually increased activity. How can you be sure they will plummet in that period? Unless you misunderstood the question, it is not about MoP or after MoP, it's about the transition period and now.
    Things eligible to be the target of as you call it "increased activity in transition periods" are only tradeable goods that have a use as soon as the transition period is over and the new addon is out. For example greens gems, elementium ore, etc. because they WILL be useful as soon as MoP comes out. A queen's garnet might be useful now, might be useful for a few more weeks and then it will be completely useless. Why would I stock up (therefore create "increased acticvity") on garnets if I won't be able to sell them at a higher price in MoP or even right before it. The price WILL plumet stay out of the market.

Deleted
    The reason I don't do the obvious "they will plummet" and I'm more cautious than that is that the transition period between an Expansion and an old Expansion has usually increased activity. How can you be sure they will plummet in that period?
    Demand will most certainly plummet: People who come back for MoP aren't going to buy the most expensive gems for Cataclysm a few weeks before they become obsolete.

That doesn't necessarily mean prices can only go down: That's a matter of supply too. If people dump their gems en masse now, you could see the price go up again in a few weeks.

It's still a bad market to get into, though.

Deleted
    So you would dump them now I guess.

Most likely go down considerably. Gear will be upgraded fast. I know I won't bother with Queen's Garnet's.

Deleted
    Time to dump them all then I guess.

Deleted
    Time to dump them all then I guess.
    Yes definitely, I dumped the ones I had 2-3 weeks ago and still got a reasonable price.

Deleted
    So you would dump them now I guess.
    Not immediately after someone dumped a large number at far below market price.

I'd start early, and do it gradually.

Deleted
    If you found stacks of them at 300G each individual queen's, would you get them? Though I suspect those are illegitimate.

But from what you say, it might be dumpers like you.

Deleted
    If you found stacks of them at 300G each individual queen's, would you get them?
    No.

You might get lucky and resell them at a small profit, or unlucky and take a big loss.

High risk + low potential gain = bad investment.

Deleted
    OK keep dumping them.

I've dumped mine. Can't see any demand for them at this point. Anyone who cares about raiding will have probably stopped by now. In MoP, they'll be good for a few levels of JC, but they'll be worth no more than pandaland greens.

Still sold them for 1k each though. At 300g I'd buy and relist them, on my realm at least. You'd struggle to actually lose money on that. Looking on the Undermine Journal, I can't see any EU realms where they go for less than 600g...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    I've dumped mine. Can't see any demand for them at this point. Anyone who cares about raiding will have probably stopped by now. In MoP, they'll be good for a few levels of JC, but they'll be worth no more than pandaland greens.

Still sold them for 1k each though. At 300g I'd buy and relist them, on my realm at least. You'd struggle to actually lose money on that. Looking on the Undermine Journal, I can't see any EU realms where they go for less than 600g...
    I still suspect it's not legit to find tons of stacks of 300G each item. The realm isn't even big. Why would in their right mind do it anyway? Only if they need "right now gold". And those are also often illegit.

Deleted
    There might be a small market for upgrading dungeon blues, much like people were using the epic wotlk gems in heroic cata gear (when carnelians were very expensive). I'm not sure though, there won't even be a twink market to fall back on this time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The problem is volume.

How many can you sell between now and the inevitable crash?

- A handful, sure.
    - "Tons of stacks"? Perhaps, but it's risky.
    - An infinite supply of dupes? No way.

300g is high. I've seen them offered under 250g, however many dozens or hundreds of stacks you want. The price is going to crash like a rock as the dupers rush to dump their stock before MoP launch. (Not that they care what they sell for, mind you, it's just that buyers are going to be less interested in them.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
    300g is high. I've seen them offered under 250g, however many dozens or hundreds of stacks you want. The price is going to crash like a rock as the dupers rush to dump their stock before MoP launch. (Not that they care what they sell for, mind you, it's just that buyers are going to be less interested in them.)
    I hope Blizzard traces the dupes - if they are dupes - and hands out bans.

In my opinion the overwhelming majority of dupes - if they are dupes - is from old stocks. When that old public hack was fixed it's obvious many of those people did not just sell everything. They used whole banks to store them. Thousands of stacks of Queen's Garnet waiting to be sold. Well, if Blizzard did not detect the first hack and lost track of the first dupes, those might be dormant waiting to be sold.

Now, I hope they can trace some back to the original perpetrators, if the theory stands.

They are going to drop through the floor if they haven't already. Nobody wants to spend a bunch of gold on gems right before replacing all their gear. Whatever gems come out in MoP will surely be better.