Thread: "I don't know"

"I don't know"

Why are people so afraid of saying that phrase? I have noticed it at work, with my family, with random strangers, it is like they are terrified that people will think they are stupid, or that there pride will be hurt if they admit they do not know something. It is one thing that I have never had a problem with; the way I see it, if you just make some stuff up or try and change the subject, you are just being like a child. I have literally no issue with telling someone that I do not know something if they ask and I do not know..should I be?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's because you don't want to let people down, especially when you feel that you should know that something.
    Last edited by Sirguygrand; 2012-07-27 at 06:24 AM. Reason: added a word

10+ Year Old Account
    Context please? If they're avoiding saying it over stupid shit, okay, they're really needing to get over themselves. I don't really see why anyone wouldn't want to say it... But I guess it's something I'd never understand, because I'd rather not spend my time trying to act as if I do know what I'm talking about when I actually don't.

But yeah, its kind of vague what you're saying.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    I DOODLE!

i dont know, i say it all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    You answered your own question in your second sentence, lol

People don't like it when others consider them stupid or ignorant (thus meaning their opinions and worth in discussions are devalued).

If you're intelligent and thoughtful and people know that, then its less of an issue when you say you don't know something as your intellectual worth has already been recognised as worthy of more importance.

Smart people will say that phrase a lot.

Stupid people will never say it.

It's only once you start to get educated that you realise how little you know.

Because there's better responses than "I don't know."

"I don't know" in the workplace is career kryptonite. It's too final. If I ever felt lazy enough to tell my boss "I don't know" I would likely be looking for a new job. Doesn't mean you just bullshit your way through, but "I'll find out" or "that's interesting, I'll look into it" is far more progressive.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2012-07-27 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Because there's better responses than "I don't know."

"I don't know" in the workplace is career kryptonite. It's too final. If I ever felt lazy enough to tell my boss "I don't know" I would likely be looking for a new job. Doesn't mean you just bullshit your way through, but "I'll find out" or "that's interesting, I'll look into it" is far more progressive.
    There is a difference between your boss asking about something related to work that you should know and having a conversation outside of work on a topic you don't know anything about. I would assume that the OP is talking about the latter.

Edit: Didn't see your edit

10+ Year Old Account
    People at a work-place, when speaking to customers, hate to say "I don't know." Why? There's a false-perception that simply because you're employed at a particular store that you know EVERYTHING there is to know about EVERY product - regardless of whether it's your first day or your 1,825th day. If a customer hears an "associate" say "I don't know." there's the immediate jump-to-conclusion that the employee is dumb or too lazy to help - when in fact that employee might be more than willing to help, if he/she had the knowledge the customer wanted. (I'm purposely leaving out the alternative of, "I don't know - but I know someone here who does, give me a minute to find him.")

If you want to see someone who wasn't afraid of saying "I don't know", just go back and watch any of the old speeches/interviews Ronald Reagan did. Granted, he ended up being diagnosed with Alzheimer's, but that's another story in and of itself. (No disrespect to the late Mr. Reagan.)

#FlightIsImportant

I say it all the time.

It's one of the best phrases you can ever use in business. For example, "I don't know. Let me do some research on that and get back to you."

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

It is a really strange phenomenon. I have a lot of trouble relating because I don't really care what other people think of me so I don't find myself afraid to admit when I don't have an answer. I say 'I don't know' all the time because I'm indecisive on small matters, it actually gets on the nerves of people around me.

It's great when dealing with rational people. People who aren't rational....yeah. I'm just happy my employer doesn't have a problem with me telling people to kindly fuck off (not necessarily in those words) sometimes.

I do fear the day I have to use that phrase in a job interview, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    It's great when dealing with rational people. People who aren't rational....yeah. I'm just happy my employer doesn't have a problem with me telling people to kindly fuck off (not necessarily in those words) sometimes.

I do fear the day I have to use that phrase in a job interview, though.
    Spin, my friend.

Employer: Do you agree with the phrase, "The customer is always right"?

You: Yes and No. I prefer the phrase, "The customer is always right, but often needs guidance."

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    Spin, my friend.

Employer: Do you agree with the phrase, "The customer is always right"?

You: Yes and No. I prefer the phrase, "The customer is always right, but often needs guidance."
    I always liked "There is no such thing as a stupid question. Just many inquisitive idiots."

"The beginning of wisdom is the statement 'I do not know.' The person who cannot make that statement is one who will never learn anything. And I have prided myself on my ability to learn."
    - Thrall

That is honestly one of my favorite quotes ever.
    He is the life of guilds he has never joined.
    He once had a noobish moment- just to see what it felt like.
    If he were to beat you in a duel, you would have to fight the strong urge to thank him.
    The Lunar Elders have a holiday in which they honor him.
    He can speak Darnassian. In Orcish.
    He is: The Most Interesting Man in the World of Warcraft.

I'm not afraid to use it myself but depending on the scenario I'll usually end the phrase with "but give me a few minutes to figure it out" or something similar.