View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. This poll is closed
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

56 20.82%
Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerimae View Post
    I heard that it is giga bit not byte
    Yes the standard way to measure bandwidth is in bit not byte.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canadian personal internet as a whole tends to be pretty crappy but I guess since I'm in a newer housing development mine's not to bad (99% faster then rest of CA lol). I'm not sure if I'd go the 1gb route it would really depend on the cost.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    Canadian personal internet as a whole tends to be pretty crappy but I guess since I'm in a newer housing development mine's not to bad (99% faster then rest of CA lol). I'm not sure if I'd go the 1gb route it would really depend on the cost.

Well hello fellow Rifter! Glad to see you decided to peak in my domain.

You would not see near the benefit in download that you'd see in upload, however.

But... your download is still 4x better than mine (when it wants to go the fastest possible) and your upload is more than 2x faster than mine. I also bet you probably pay less than we do. =S
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell yes.

Oh wait no I'm in Regional Australia and can't get speeds even 1% as fast as that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadiith View Post

I'd sell my soul for anything, and I mean anything else.
    Howwwwwww do you manage a 1078ms latency, to a place only about 100 miles away? =/

brb testing my distances.

Dat 250 miles at 55ms latency. =X

Hum, here's me connecting to the server you connected to:

Are you on wireless or something? I do notice your ISP has an F- grade, but damn, to give you such a horrible ping really confuses me.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 03:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tilde View Post
    They're owned by the city. It's the local power company. They have amazing service and offer exactly what they advertise. They also don't have a strict ToS so you can pretty much do anything, baring major criminal activity. They're using the city they're in as a test market, but are hiring to expand their services.
    Okay, searched their website and found their package deals to give you either 100Mbps internet or 1000Mbps. It is PRICEY compared to what Google plans to offer, holy cow!!!

https://epbfi.com/enroll/packages/#/...d-internet-100

For 100Mbps, $140 a MONTH.

https://epbfi.com/enroll/packages/#/...-internet-1000

For 1000Mbps, $350 a MONTH. Holy shit!!!
    "A flower.

Can we please keep this at least partially on topic?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Can we please keep this at least partially on topic?
    Sorry, I suppose it has derailed into discussing how much we could use Google's 1Gbps internet by showing what we currently have. =/
    "A flower.

Hell yes. I stream a lot and often times have to wait even with my connection for full HD videos to stream.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Howwwwwww do you manage a 1078ms latency, to a place only about 100 miles away? =/

brb testing my distances.
    With 1000ms my guess is that he is using a satellite connection. There is some crazy delay when the signals go through space :P

Deleted
    So you'd still only get 10mbps upload? Pass.

currently i have 100-200Mbps and i have yet to experience any ms higher than 30-40 during a game while downloading like 2-3movies so nah, maybe when stuff gets more demanding :P

Edit: on bf3 i have max 130ping on american servers, and i live in sweden :P

Boy some of the connections in this thread would make me nerdgasm SO hard if I had them... like mittacc's. >_O

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Boy some of the connections in this thread would make me nerdgasm SO hard if I had them... like mittacc's. >_O
    haha, at first, so did I :P Before i got my current i think i had 4Mbps shared by two :P Btw, with 1gb would i be able to play on american servers without ping higher than like 60? because then i oculd join LVLcap's and Rival's server :3

Deleted
    I'd get it if it was available in the netherlands.

Quote Originally Posted by mittacc View Post
    haha, at first, so did I :P Before i got my current i think i had 4Mbps shared by two :P Btw, with 1gb would i be able to play on american servers without ping higher than like 60? because then i oculd join LVLcap's and Rival's server :3
    Not a clue about the ping thing, but I'm lucky if I hit 1MB/s downloads, as it's usually more like 500KB/s - 600KB/s. And forget uploading anything more than a picture.

I really wish they'd upgrade the speeds around here. >.o

The ping to American servers won't change, it is all down to the routing and length of cables.

Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    Not a clue about the ping thing, but I'm lucky if I hit 1MB/s downloads, as it's usually more like 500KB/s - 600KB/s. And forget uploading anything more than a picture.

I really wish they'd upgrade the speeds around here. >.o
    i'm usually limited to around 1-3Mbps download speed because of not enough seeders :c Ouch, you should probably try to get a better conenction, if i recall correctly mine only costs around 20-ish euros a month :P

i'm usually limited to around 1-3Mbps download speed because of not enough seeders :c Ouch, you should probably try to get a better conenction, if i recall correctly mine only costs around 20-ish euros a month :P
    Believe me, I would if I could. I have the fastest connection the only ISP here offers. :/

10+ Year Old Account
    If it ever comes to where i live, then sure thing!

Definitely something to consider although I am against Google and their whole sell what do on the internet policy. If I decide to move out anytime soon I will be definitely getting this.