View Poll Results: will you be getting googles 1gb inernet when they release it?

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, 1gb will give me crazy fast downloads

    213 79.18%
  • No, it will be full of problems and isnt worth the price

    56 20.82%
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ...
6
14
15
16
  1. #301
    Pandaren Monk Klutzington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    'Murrica, of course.
    Posts
    1,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    I get 50 down and 15 up for free! Working for an ISP ftw :P
    So jelly atm.

  2. #302
    Brewmaster Xl House lX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    1,262
    If it ever came to my town, sure I'd try it out. But I doubt it'll be in Richmond, Ky in the next 60 years.
    Call me House.

  3. #303
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Fuck you, that's where.
    Posts
    4,496
    Interesting! Skynet? lol
    Something, Something, Something, Dark Side.

  4. #304
    Quote Originally Posted by Moontalon View Post
    So it turns out that my internet WASN'T at the fastest my ISP offered. I got it upgraded. Nerdgasmed hard. Though, I'd still get Google's net if it worked as well as they claim it does and it became available in my area.

    Old speed:

    New speed:
    God damn it, I hate you road runner. I have this sad excuse for a company and they do nothing but offer terrible service. Boxes and modems go out constantly, constant chop when watching TV, terrible wait times for a service tech and just over all poor speeds. That and when they installed they did a terribly sloppy job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

  5. #305
    Quote Originally Posted by xxf2dxx View Post
    God damn it, I hate you road runner. I have this sad excuse for a company and they do nothing but offer terrible service. Boxes and modems go out constantly, constant chop when watching TV, terrible wait times for a service tech and just over all poor speeds. That and when they installed they did a terribly sloppy job.
    lol When they came to upgrade my speed, the guy was fighting with it for 2 hours and couldn't get the downloads above 10Mbps. I asked if I could try something, he said yes, and I fixed it in about 30 seconds. All I had to do was change the adapter settings from 10Mbps speeds to 100Mbps >_>

  6. #306
    Wouldn't that only be that fast in a local area? I think I would wait until there's fiber optic all over the country. Currently i get 30 down and 1 up with time warner, and they're actually gonna start installing some fiber optic cables in new york in the future so they'll probably get it through out the country eventually too.

    http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s-Investing-25

    Hmm it appears it's for businesses, seems like this wouldn't be something for regular consumers.

  7. #307
    Dreadlord
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Detroit mi
    Posts
    982
    the more interesting parts of google fiber is the free plan, and the tv+uber fast internet for only 120$. the free plan is a 300$ set up fee, 5mb/s(something tells me it will be higher then this in reality knowing google) and guaranteed service for 7 years, by far the most affordable internet available at that speed for a lower income family in their home.
    Intel [email protected]
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

  8. #308
    Quote Originally Posted by jmacphee9 View Post
    the more interesting parts of google fiber is the free plan, and the tv+uber fast internet for only 120$. the free plan is a 300$ set up fee, 5mb/s(something tells me it will be higher then this in reality knowing google) and guaranteed service for 7 years, by far the most affordable internet available at that speed for a lower income family in their home.
    This is only because Google's selling their services at a loss as part of their business plan. I doubt their services will be that cheap outside of their pilot program.

  9. #309
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    This is only because Google's selling their services at a loss as part of their business plan. I doubt their services will be that cheap outside of their pilot program.
    Most of Google's profit comes from AdSense, it is actually a great business plan to get people on the internet. 5/1 mbps internet really shouldn't be as expensive as other companies sell it for.
    Google AdSense is used by 76.5% of all the websites whose advertising network we know. This is 18.7% of all websites.
    http://w3techs.com/technologies/deta...dsense/all/all According to Google's revenue report from 2011, which I don't have a link to, 97% of their revenue comes from advertisements. I am sure it will actually be profitable for them to give away "free internet."
    Last edited by Obsession; 2012-09-16 at 08:39 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •