Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Lots of support for this idea: additional affixes

Someone posted this on the D3 forums and there seems to be a shit ton of support for it, I also agree with it:

Monsters should sometimes have additional affixes that make interesting things happen to keep players glued for that next pack. A couple of my ideas are the following:

Hoarder: Drops a guaranteed i.lvl 63 item
    Rich: Drops 10x the amount of gold
    Ancient: Increased chance to drop a legendary
    Appraiser: Drops a guaranteed 6 affix item
    Cursed: Gives the player a very nice damage buff upon defeat.
    Traitor: Shows the player the location of the nearest Treasure Goblin upon defeat.
    Jay Wilson: Fixes this game upon defeat. [joke]

just stuff like that can make a game go from being terrible to really good. Not every pack would have these affixes and they wouldn't take the place of one of the four players have to overcome, but it might make a player want to fight that Shielded, Vortex, Molten, Extra Fast elite pack of killer spiders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Someone posted this on the D3 forums and there seems to be a shit ton of support for it, I also agree with it:

Monsters should sometimes have additional affixes that make interesting things happen to keep players glued for that next pack. A couple of my ideas are the following:

Hoarder: Drops a guaranteed i.lvl 63 item
    Rich: Drops 10x the amount of gold
    Ancient: Increased chance to drop a legendary
    Appraiser: Drops a guaranteed 6 affix item
    Cursed: Gives the player a very nice damage buff upon defeat.
    Traitor: Shows the player the location of the nearest Treasure Goblin upon defeat.
    Jay Wilson: Fixes this game upon defeat. [joke]

just stuff like that can make a game go from being terrible to really good. Not every pack would have these affixes and they wouldn't take the place of one of the four players have to overcome, but it might make a player want to fight that Shielded, Vortex, Molten, Extra Fast elite pack of killer spiders.
    It wont go from terrible to really good but I like the idea. Right now when you see monster affixes it's just an uggh situation. But if you add something like what's being suggested it goes from uggh to sweet ima kill that foo.

Deleted
    I like it. Definite incentive to kill a hard pack rather than avoid it, and would add of extra excitement/anticipation.... but not too OP as to majorly affect economy.

They have yet to do something beneficial to the player (aside from the ah), i dont see this happening.

10+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely would love it and agree: maybe not on every pack. Maybe a 50% rate or so of appearing, that way you can go through a pack or two and maybe get nothing, but then get really excited when you see that affix at the end of the next one

This is a really good idea, that's all I have to say about it

Deleted
    Hmm, that's quite a good idea. It would certainly get me to play a bit more.

Then again, there's so many things that could make this game better.

Well the stuff is nice but you can't have a possitive buff called "cursed", I wouldn't feel particularly cursed if I got a dmg increasing buff

10+ Year Old Account
    It would work with an idea I've been pondering. Separate all the affixes into certain groups. Damage affixes (desecrate, arcane, fire chain. molten, etc), crowd control (knockback, jailer, vortex, etc), and the rest I'm not sure yet. Anyway, limit affixes to one of each group. This fits in well with that, if you're going to give each group a chance to have one of them. It also means that with my setup, you're less likely to run into an impossible affix, which this proposed extra slot encourages you to fight.

Probably one of the best, most constructive forms of feedback for monster affixes I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It would work with an idea I've been pondering. Separate all the affixes into certain groups. Damage affixes (desecrate, arcane, fire chain. molten, etc), crowd control (knockback, jailer, vortex, etc), and the rest I'm not sure yet. Anyway, limit affixes to one of each group. This fits in well with that, if you're going to give each group a chance to have one of them. It also means that with my setup, you're less likely to run into an impossible affix, which this proposed extra slot encourages you to fight.
    They actually do use a method similar to this. There was a blue post a week or two ago explaining what the groups are, and how many affixes from each group are allowed to be on a pack.

I really like this idea, especially after I spent 15 minutes fighting a Shielding, Invulnerable Minions, Arcane enchanted, Waller group.

The original idea is great too, it gives more motivation to not skip packs. I would suggest that maybe it is rare for the mobs to have one of these affixes in Act 1, as bots are easily able to farm elite mobs on that, meaning the bots would benefit from this update and give it a higher chance to spawn in act 2/3/4/whimsyshire. Possibly even a 100% chance in act 4 to make people actually want to farm that rather than staying in act 3.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd definitely like to see them add in more affixes over time. Some positive ones like that, and preferably some new painful ones as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    They have yet to do something beneficial to the player (aside from the ah), i dont see this happening.
    The last couple patches have introduced some quality of life changes for people progressing through inferno so I don't know about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jisbilby View Post
    They actually do use a method similar to this. There was a blue post a week or two ago explaining what the groups are, and how many affixes from each group are allowed to be on a pack.
    The number of "arcane, desecrator, plagued" groups I've faced, with "knockback, nightmarish, vortex" groups as well leads me to believe they're full of it, or their system is terrible.

Here is the post on it: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6079707996#1

Just the relevant bit:

Originally Posted by Lylirra
    3) Why aren't monster affix combinations restricted in some way?

Monster affixes are actually grouped into categories and then restricted based on those categories (to a degree). Our restrictions aren't as tight as some players have suggested, but in the end we found that adding extra limitations often made Elite pack encounters very predictable and repetitive, which kind of went against our design goal for these types of monsters.

We know that not all players will see eye-to-eye with us on how these categories are organized, and we expect some criticism and disagreement, especially from such a passionate group of gamers. While we're happy with where affix combos are right now, we're open to feedback and especially constructive discussion.

Here are the categories:

"Strong CC" (Limit 1):
    Knockback
    Nightmarish
    Vortex

"Defensive" (Limit 1):
    Avenger
    Extra Health
    Health Link
    Horde
    Illusionist
    Missile Dampening
    Invulnerable Minions
    Shielding
    Vampiric

"Aggressive" (No Limit):
    ArcaneEnchanted
    Desecrator
    Electrified
    Fast
    Fire Chains
    Frozen
    Jailer
    Molten
    Mortar
    Plagued
    Reflects Damage
    Teleporter
    Waller

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, genius. "Yeah, we limited em, but we lumped half of em into one group and gave those no limit. That's limited, right?"

10+ Year Old Account
    The number of "arcane, desecrator, plagued" groups I've faced, with "knockback, nightmarish, vortex" groups as well leads me to believe they're full of it, or their system is terrible.
    Or their coding is bad. Either way the left hand and the right hand have some miscommuncation.

It looks like they half-assed it.

I like the idea of additional affixes that would motivate you to actually attempt to kill a pack that would normally be avoided. Currently some affix combos are just not worth it. The current farming strategy is to get as many item level 63 items as possible per hour. If a pack has stupid affix combos you are better off just avoiding it than spending the time trying to kill it. I doubt this change would ever go through though because Blizz has said before that they are fine with there being packs that have to be skipped in the game. If they are fine with packs with bad combos being skipped, then they really have no inclination to make a change to motivate us to kill the pack.

The problem with this is that unless this affix is just added making it a 5 affix mob, the mob becomes a 3 affix mob in terms of abilities which is just a free kill in a lot of cases. Better loot should come from harder content, not easier.

Im spoiled being a barb from day 1 though and the last time I actually skipped a pack was back pre nerf some shielding / fast golgor . What Im saying is that currently on my barb I have no problem with ANY affix - Im not sure how this is for all other classes, it might be that even when geared they still have to skip some combos.

About the affixes being grouped limited to me : This seems kinda logical to me, have fun on some healthlink - horde - fire chains - fast mobs that sit in your face non stop and run around like soullashers. Some defensive abilties paired up is just too much unfairness especially for hardcore where you cant zerg it down obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Or their coding is bad. Either way the left hand and the right hand have some miscommuncation.
    I'm saying that from the start THEIR CODING IS HORRIBLE, not because their developers are terribad, but because their numbers are INSUFFICIENT.

Jay Wilson was so occupied with visuals, voices, animations, and everything that would impact the image of the game in marketing, he simply forgot the VERY SOUL of the Diablo series that is the ITEMS, and their origins, the MONSTERS YOU FIGHT.

So the team responsible for creating affixes and suffixes for gear and the team responsible for programming the behavior of the plethora of monsters that drop them have together only A DOZEN people. Considering the amount of work this 12 people have to accomplish, guess how good this overwhelmed bunch can be....

Of course they produce crap, and can you really blame them?