Unhappy ASUS EAH5750 got 10fps on 25man, need help here :(

Dear Expert,

Since i'm blind about hardware, well not that blind but pretty much clueless
    lately i've been having issue with the 25 man raid, esp the last raid dungeon
    my fps would drop around 10fps, and it gave me a headache to play with fps that low
    but after awhile i realize that even when i'm around city my fps have dropped into 15fps

I've been stop playing WoW 2 months after fireland released
    and i know they didn't do any graphical update, but why my fps is decreasing.

I've read on some thread that it could be CPU problem, but when i check using
    windows task manager the CPU is running at 50% its power

Here's the current specification of my CPU
    Intel Core2Duo E6550 2.33Ghz
    2.00GB of RAM DDR2 (2x1)
    Asus 5750

i run wow at 1920x1080
    and its on fair/good setting
    oh i forgot, i still uses windows XP with Dx9,
    i wonder if i could get graphic improvement with Dx11

let me know if you need further information
    Last edited by coconoar; 2012-07-26 at 10:15 PM. Reason: add os and Dx

I know from personal experience that a core2duo @ 2.93ghz and 800mhz ddr2 ram will bottleneck the crap out of WoW. It's an extremely CPU intensive game, and (while the ram thing may have just been bleh) It's always good to upgrade now when prices are pretty cheap on the good recent generation of intel stuff.

Going from a core2duo to a quad core like an I5-3570k or an i5-2500k is a huge step in terms of computing power. Light-years faster. Also, getting a nice 8 or even (unnecessary) 16gb of 1600mhz of DDR3 ram you will find yourself pushing 60fps easy in WoW on 25 mans.

Have you ever considered upgrading and personally building yourself a PC? Your system seems somewhat old, albeit, not entirely ancient. It is by todays standards, in my mind at least, extremely low-end gaming.

Aveline's amazing work!

You definitely should be using the DX11 option in game since you have a DX11 card. You should see a boost from switching over. Also make sure shadows are at the lowest setting or off.

Your CPU is likely the major factor here. It's dated and fairly slow. WoW is CPU demanding, especially when you are around a lot of players, such as 25man raids.

2GB of ram is fairly low these days. I would check your memory usage as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm actually surprised you can get 10fps in a 25man environment with those specs.

You should really look at building your own PC, or if you're not confident in that, getting a friend to do it for you.

If you're in US - You could make a 25man capeable PC that would run pretty high graphics for under 1k
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    I know from personal experience that a core2duo @ 2.93ghz and 800mhz ddr2 ram will bottleneck the crap out of WoW. It's an extremely CPU intensive game
    It's a CPU-intensive game, but calling the CPU a bottleneck is still a stretch (but not as far as it would be in other games). Overclocking it would increase the performance radically. The RAM matters jack.

Quote Originally Posted by Valiea View Post
    Going from a core2duo to a quad core like an I5-3570k or an i5-2500k is a huge step in terms of computing power. Light-years faster. Also, getting a nice 8 or even (unnecessary) 16gb of 1600mhz of DDR3 ram you will find yourself pushing 60fps easy in WoW on 25 mans.
    While technically true, the amount of cores doesn't matter; It would perform as well on a 3.2 GHz dual core as a 3.2 GHz quad core if both are from the same architecture (Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge)

Have you tried disabling all addons and tried raiding again? Made a clean install? Join LFR if you "can't raid without threat meter" (or other similiar silly rules), without damage meters and anything.
    If it's still as poor, delete WTF and interface folders. Still nothing, try doing a clean install. Then consider overclocking.

If overclocking (the recommended first solution as it's by far the least expensive) brings you short of desired improvement, I'd then consider a CPU/motherboard/RAM-upgrade. The GPU however, is fine.
    Also. WinXP still(?) doesn't support DX11, so while you would get some potential FPS-boost, it would not give you DX11 effects.

Well, WoW has 3 main threads (and many more that carry a very light load). While the 3rd thread isn't saturated as the other 2, having a dedicated core for it will definitely make a noticeable difference.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Doh, i totally missed that he's running XP.

If I remember right, on intel processors WoW performance seems to hit stride on 2 cores, with a small gain when having access to a 3rd. For AMD it would hit stride on 3 cores but performance is lower overall.

Valiea
    You got better cpu than mine yet still got bad performance? sigh i guess it's really the limit of my PC
    but the funny part is when i check it in the windows task manager, the cpu only run at 40-50% of it's
    that makes me wonder if the problem really exist withing the cpu
    i-2500k is more affordable atm, just check the price. will consider it when buying the pc

Dizey
    Memory usage is slightly below 2G, try it just now. Sometimes it reach slight above 2 gigs but most of the time its 1.89g

Raxxed
    Will try doing it, but I want to make sure the problem is in the hardware
    not because of software or setup malfunction

tetrisGOAT
    I've tried disabling all addon like you said, but the fps doesnt get better
    and honestly speaking overclocking is otu of question, since i don't have knowledge for that
    Heheh the i have few programs that only run on XP, like VB stuff, thats why i haven't upgraded to vista/7 for awhile

btw if i upgraded to 7 and install to DX11, will it give the FPS a boost? or just a slightly boost?
    and just to make sure, from what your post, it means my VGA is ok, while i need to replace the CPU+Motherboard+RAM

If i want to ask for suggestion to build a new PC (assuming i need to and have to i think)
    should i open a new thread or here is fine??

Big thanks for all that help <3
    didn't expect such a fast reply

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    It's a CPU-intensive game, but calling the CPU a bottleneck is still a stretch (but not as far as it would be in other games). Overclocking it would increase the performance radically. The RAM matters jack.

While technically true, the amount of cores doesn't matter; It would perform as well on a 3.2 GHz dual core as a 3.2 GHz quad core if both are from the same architecture (Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge)
    I should have rephrased this Tetris, sorry. I basically meant that while WoW will still see gain, it, like you said, won't utilize all that power, but I should have mentioned if you wanted to play newer games then it would really start to make a difference. You so smart Tetris I want to be just like you one day!

Aveline's amazing work!

Upgrading to Win7/DX11 won't give you a noticeable FPS boost, maybe a few percent, UNLESS there is some bug with XP that makes WoW use only one processor core (and that is why you are seeing 50% usage total). You are not using XP Home are you? That only has support for 1 core if i remember correctly.

Also if you can get hold of some more RAM for your current computer really cheap, I would try adding 2G more for a total of 4G.. did that with my wifes computer and she have pretty OK FPS in 25-man and she has a comparable computer.

Nitrax
    For some reason i don't know what, my motherboard is really picky on what the RAM being plugged in
    i've tried a few brand with zero luck. I'm trying to find the exact same model of my current ram so i could use 4x1gb

To all:
    ok so i got a workstation that uses
    MSI 880GMS-E35
    AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2Ghx
    and 2GB of DDR3

If i plug in my graphic card to this workstation
    will i get a boost in FPS?