Page 1 of 24
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your ideas on prisons?

Prisons and the punishment of crime often come up in this forum and are often criticized.
    So I'd like to ask all of you what and how you think prisons (and punishment of crime in general) should be?

I'd also like to know which people should get in, and how they should come out. In effect, the purpose of prison.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    The Nordic countries lead by miles when it comes to rehabilitation, which should be the main goal of prison. Most prisoners would benefit from this system. People with life sentences or very lengthy sentences should be locked up for 23 hours a day with little or no luxuries.

Deleted
    Rehabilitation. Every time.

If that's impossible, then clearly they have issue that need to be addressed by doing something slightly more than locking them in a room.

I’d like people to fear prison so much that they will actually stop and think about what they are doing before they commit a crime. It would probably be ruled as cruel and unusual, but imagine a prison where your cell was not tall enough to stand up in, not long enough to lay down in, and only a inches wider than your shoulders, and the walls were slanted at an angle so you were perpetually standing and couldn't bend down to sit/lay. No windows; just an overhead light that was turned on 24 hours a day, a drain the floor so the cleaning system could wash your waste down the drain the floor, and the room was completely sound proof. People would absolutely fear the possibility of winding up in there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    I’d like people to fear prison so much that they will actually stop and think about what they are doing before they commit a crime. It would probably be ruled as cruel and unusual, but imagine a prison where your cell was not tall enough to stand up in, not long enough to lay down in, and only a inches wider than your shoulders, and the walls were slanted at an angle so you were perpetually standing and couldn't bend down to sit/lay. No windows; just an overhead light that was turned on 24 hours a day, a drain the floor so the cleaning system could wash your waste down the drain the floor, and the room was completely sound proof. People would absolutely fear the possibility of winding up in there.
    How long would they survive? Not long I bet. People make mistakes, not everyone is a career criminal. Your technique would turn them into savage animals.

AKA torture...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    The Nordic countries lead by miles when it comes to rehabilitation, which should be the main goal of prison. Most prisoners would benefit from this system. People with life sentences or very lengthy sentences should be locked up for 23 hours a day with little or no luxuries.
    They tried that in the early 1900's with Sing Sing (23 hour lock up) in the US and it caused tons more problems than it solved.
    Unless I guess people don't have a problem with the inmates pretty much becoming loony.. But they also used to get whipped to fuck with a cat of nine tails so maybe that didn't help with the loony department,
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sing_Sing#Early_years)

I think they should make prisoners build more prisons and when not building more repairing/chain ganging for road repairs and stuff like that..
    I would like to see the re offending figures by countries with prisoners serving 10+ years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why the huge discrepancy between most prisoners and lengthy sentences?
    But yes, the Nordic countries are indeed leading in this field. It's quite interesting to see, actually.

How long would sentences be? And how would you reimburse people who are unfairly convicted but physically and psychologically traumatized by the punishment? What about people coming out of prison? Or would you argue that deterrence is the primary function of prisons?
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Deleted
    I’d like people to fear prison so much that they will actually stop and think about what they are doing before they commit a crime.
    Which provably doesn't work because people who commit crimes don't ever think they'll get caught. Using prisons as a deterrent just doesn't work, full stop.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynna View Post
    Why the huge discrepancy between most prisoners and lengthy sentences?
    But yes, the Nordic countries are indeed leading in this field. It's quite interesting to see, actually.

How long would sentences be? And how would you reimburse people who are unfairly convicted but physically and psychologically traumatized by the punishment? What about people coming out of prison? Or would you argue that deterrence is the primary function of prisons?
    People in for life or very lengthy sentences are criminally minded anyway, at least others could be rehabilitated.

Deleted
    Why use prisons?

As I stated a long time ago in my high school, and as a result of it was considered ... crazy by my religion teacher:

Give all the prisoners electronic 'anklets' and 'wristbands' able to release enough electrical energy to knock someone unconscious. Then 'turn' them into slaves = make them work for the state, in people's home, as construction workers ... anything you can imagine.
    Make them unable to leave a certain area, if they do, they'll be knocked unconscious.
    Make the 'anklets' and wristbands activateable by voice commands incase they work in someone's home.
    Make them wear the anklets and wristbands at every arm/leg ... no cutting of legs/arms allowed
    Make the 'anklets' and wristbands able to detect blood pressure or any other indicator of anger, and the ability to temporarily paralyse their wearer when
    their 'anger' level reaches a certain amount.

Gz, youve just gained free workers for your community that live semi-normal lives, and dont sit on their ass all day devouring taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    AKA torture...?
    For certain types of criminals, I wouldn't object.

Deleted
    Depends on the crime, some crimes can not be forgiven.

I find it impossible to forgive people who hurt children, and i wish nothing but eternal punishment and pain to those would commit such crimes

Deleted
    Inflicting pain on people and rehabilitating and reducing crime don't always go hand in hand.

10+ Year Old Account
    People regularly commit crimes which carry the death penalty. If death isn't a deterrent, why would a small, uncomfortable box be more effective?

They should make them live outside in tents like they do in Arizona, prisons shouldn't be a Holiday Inn like most are nowadays.
    Last edited by muto; 2012-07-23 at 08:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The UK and the US have pretty appalling prison systems, and the US especially seems to use their system as a form of mass free labour (it has been likened to slavery by the back door!). In the UK overcrowding is a big problem.

Rehabilition should be the ultimate goal of prisons, where possible.

Personally I am in favour of community punishments for less serious offences and much longer sentences than we currently give for crimes of violence or abuse.

10+ Year Old Account
    People in for life or very lengthy sentences are criminally minded anyway, at least others could be rehabilitated.
    A lot of crimes that carry lengthy sentences (mostly "life crimes") are often spur of the moment-things. There's a difference between a man killing his wife in a moment of fury and someone who kills someone with careful planning for personal gain.

Quote Originally Posted by matiasve View Post
    Why use prisons?

As I stated a long time ago in my high school, and as a result of it was considered ... crazy by my religion teacher:

Give all the prisoners electronic 'anklets' and 'wristbands' able to release enough electrical energy to knock someone unconscious. Then 'turn' them into slaves = make them work for the state, in people's home, as construction workers ... anything you can imagine.
    Make them unable to leave a certain area, if they do, they'll be knocked unconscious.
    Make the 'anklets' and wristbands activate able by voice commands in case they work in someone's home.
    Make them wear the anklets and wristbands at every arm/leg ... no cutting of legs/arms allowed
    Make the 'anklets' and wristbands able to detect blood pressure or any other indicator of anger, and the ability to temporarily paralyse their wearer when
    their 'anger' level reaches a certain amount.

Gz, you've just gained free workers for your community that live semi-normal lives, and don't sit on their ass all day devouring taxes.
    Forced labor is forbidden by the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    People regularly commit crimes which carry the death penalty. If death isn't a deterrent, why would a small, uncomfortable box be more effective?
    Because the death penalty really isn't a deterrent. You're going to sit on death row for a long time, maybe 20+ years, and then die. For some people, prison is a better life than they had before they went inside. Access to health care, regular food (even if the quality is terrible, it's regular) some creature comforts. Some people (although certainly not the majority) become repeat offenders because they prefer being in prison over having to function in society. I don’t think I agree with studies that show prison isn’t a deterrent, because people aren’t afraid of prison. They are afraid of the people who are inside the prison, which, if you aren’t afraid of them to begin with, why would prison scare you?

Also, it’s not just a small, uncomfortable box. Prisons like I suggested have existed before (without the technology, you could just stand in your feces then,) and they were universally feared. I’m not saying they would be effective at rehabilitation or anything of the sort, I’m just saying I’d like to see a prison people feared.

Deleted
    Because the death penalty really isn't a deterrent. You're going to sit on death row for a long time, maybe 20+ years, and then die. For some people, prison is a better life than they had before they went inside. Access to health care, regular food (even if the quality is terrible, it's regular) some creature comforts. Some people (although certainly not the majority) become repeat offenders because they prefer being in prison over having to function in society. I don’t think I agree with studies that show prison isn’t a deterrent, because people aren’t afraid of prison. They are afraid of the people who are inside the prison, which, if you aren’t afraid of them to begin with, why would prison scare you?
    I'm sorry, but your notion is simply wrong. Prison IS NOT a deterrent, for the simple fact that people committing the crimes don't think they will ever be caught.