Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The advantage to meleeing is that it does more damage and has different utility.

Melee is 'harder' than ranged, but that's only if you decide to just sit still and push buttons, rather than actively avoid damage. Every enemy has visual tells accompanying their dangerous moves.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I would not buy GW2 without trying it first. I tried it last beta weekend. To me there is nothing special about it. I found the PvP be sluggish and less responsive than WoW. With gimmicks like dodge (really it's just a 1-2 second immunity, but whatever), and the downed state thing, which I found to be more annoying than innovative.

Don't believe the hype.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you thought GW2 pvp was sluggish and unresponsive, you were playing it wrong. Mashing all abilities off CD is not the way it's done, and will result in long periods of having no button to push when you need them. Dodging is definitely more than a "gimmick" at that - it's an essential limited-by-resource survival tool for all professions.

Dodge is going to be that thing that causes GW2 pvp to be based heavily on personal skill, rather than on your class and build like in WoW - both in how you use it, and how well you can anticipate the enemy using it.

Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-28 at 12:41 AM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone really thinks wow pvp is good?

You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are dead.

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    If you thought GW2 pvp was sluggish and unresponsive, you were playing it wrong. Mashing all abilities off CD is not the way it's done, and will result in long periods of having no button to push when you need them. Dodging is definitely more than a "gimmick" at that - it's an essential limited-by-resource survival tool for all professions.

Dodge is going to be that thing that causes GW2 pvp to be based heavily on personal skill, rather than on your class and build like in WoW - both in how you use it, and how well you can anticipate the enemy using it.

I love this video as well, it's REALLY informative.
    Last edited by Snow White; 2012-07-28 at 12:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post

You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are dead.
    "You can't do that while stunned" was the Shaman motto in TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Okay. First things first, I played WoW from the day it came out in Vanilla until Firelands in Cataclysm released and quit. I went to TERA and bashed the hell out of GW2's hype. I believe (and still believe) that the game will fare similarly numbers wise to every single other modern MMORPG released in the past 8 years or so.

I've seen a handful of videos, and I've skimmed that big "uninitiated" thread. This goes out to everyone who has extensive experience in the beta, I would like skeptics, haters, and lovers alike to share their thoughts...I am absolutely a fresh ear to this. I have no pre-conceived notions or any opinions to go off of. I have no friends that have played beta.

Is this game it? Does its PvP really stand out as much as its puffing its chest up to do so? Is its PvE tacked on and mediocre as a result? What's the skill cap on the characters seeing as everyone literally only gets like 8 moves (something like that?).

Introduce me to why this game may capture and be the best choice I ever made (before I pre-purchase it).

(I am a PvPer, but I do take a liking to well thought out and challenging PvE content)
    I played WoW from vanilla until about 3 months ago, with one extended break in between. From one WoW player to another, I do think this game is worth checking out. WoW has become stale to me, and GW2 is a breath of fresh air. I LOVE the PvP. I can't even tell you enough how much better it is then WoW's PvP. You have to try it, but yes, the PvP is *that* good. It's not competely gear-based, like in WoW, you actually have to have skill, which makes it challenging, fun, and rewarding.

I also enjoyed the PvE, from what little I did. I haven't done a dungeon yet, but I did enjoy the different quests, DE's, and the personal story. It's so much different, and better, then the "Find the NPC with a !, and do what they want, then go back" routine. I still have yet to find jumping puzzles, too, but I am looking forward to that as well.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I would not buy GW2 without trying it first. I tried it last beta weekend. To me there is nothing special about it. I found the PvP be sluggish and less responsive than WoW. With gimmicks like dodge (really it's just a 1-2 second immunity, but whatever), and the downed state thing, which I found to be more annoying than innovative.

Don't believe the hype.
    It's FAR more responsive then WoW's PvP. I PvPed in WoW for a long, long time. I found the PvP in GW2 to be a lot more fluid, and the dodging works great. It saved my life a few times. PvP in WoW is painful. If you aren't the FoTM class, or a class with a buttload of stuns, you're SOL unless you have at least 4k resilience.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post

Don't believe the hype.
    I would completely agree not to buy any game without trying it first. Getting various trials and beta keys for several recent mmos have saved me a lot of annoyance by working out I have no interest in the game. Just because something is hyped doesn't necessarily mean it's good or something you'd enjoy. Personally I was pretty much sold on GW 2 within five minutes, loved the combat and all the little flaws were nothing compared to how beautiful and engaging the world is. But again, it just proves that someone elses opinion of what one enjoys holds little sway to someone's own opinion. The game's not for everyone, it has it's bad sides and is by no means infallible.

To be blunt, some people will want their raids and instances in order to get better gear, if they enjoy it they shouldn't be made to feel as being wrong for wanting to play a game their way. Some people will find the weapon and skills selection limited, and that's fine. I've known people who don't have the sharpest reflexes who honestly don't want to constantly be dodging as they don't find it enjoyable. I'm not one of them, but I count myself as a (slightly level headed) fan of GW2 who plans to play it for a very long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of GW2's greatest strengths are also it's greatest flaws. I can think of one gamer, at least, that this game is definitely not for:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/gu...ildmate-steer/

I've been waiting for a successor to Asheron's Call and its skill based game. While not quite there, I do believe that this game is about as close as it gets without stepping into the FPS genre. But I think most of the skill will come from "mastering the keyboard/mouse/gamepad" and being clued into conditions and boons and knowing when to dodge, juke, and jive.

You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are dead.
    You mean like this @ 0:32

Quote Originally Posted by Zem View Post
    You mean like this @ 0:32
    The best part was the last one lol

edit: I will also add that the video sums up in just under 3 minutes why I no longer play WoW anymore. I had a friend back in the day that used to say "the problem with stereotypes is....they fit". Totally true in this case.
    Last edited by Osprey39; 2012-07-28 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzo View Post
    Okay. First things first, I played WoW from the day it came out in Vanilla until Firelands in Cataclysm released and quit. I went to TERA and bashed the hell out of GW2's hype. I believe (and still believe) that the game will fare similarly numbers wise to every single other modern MMORPG released in the past 8 years or so.

I've seen a handful of videos, and I've skimmed that big "uninitiated" thread. This goes out to everyone who has extensive experience in the beta, I would like skeptics, haters, and lovers alike to share their thoughts...I am absolutely a fresh ear to this. I have no pre-conceived notions or any opinions to go off of. I have no friends that have played beta.

Is this game it? Does its PvP really stand out as much as its puffing its chest up to do so? Is its PvE tacked on and mediocre as a result? What's the skill cap on the characters seeing as everyone literally only gets like 8 moves (something like that?).

Introduce me to why this game may capture and be the best choice I ever made (before I pre-purchase it).

(I am a PvPer, but I do take a liking to well thought out and challenging PvE content)
    You bashed the game's hype for no reason and now you're asking us to convince you to play it? Go to hell, how's that, go enjoy pandarens and fanning bobby kotick's naked butt on his pleasure barge.

Big sense of entitlement you have there kiddo.

That was unnecessary -- Kel
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-07-28 at 04:26 PM.

Deleted
    Speaking from a PvE player's standpoint:
    I agree that some of GW2's biggest strengths will also be it's biggest flaws for some people.

The fact that gear doesn't have as much of an impact on character power, coupled with the not hugely tangible power increase from levelling, can really hurt the sense of character progression which is for MANY people one of the main reasons they play MMORPGs at all. This is going to be a big issue for some people. Sure some don't care, but I expect that alot of people do infact care - feeling like you are growing in power as you get gear is one of the perks of raiding. Getting that upgrade, that awesome trinket, that amazing weapon, that brilliant set bonus - it feels good. GW2 doesn't really have that.

People who love MMOs for their endgame PvE may also find it disappointing. I know ALOT of people in my current wow guild and amongst my gaming friends who play MMORPGs solely for endgame pvE and raiding in particular. They derive immense enjoyment and satisfaction from gathering a group of people together and coordinating to take down a hard, technical boss encounter. I'm talking about stuff like Kael Thas, Lady Vashj, Heroic Lich King, Yogg 1 / 0 lights, Heroic Ragnaros etc. People who love MMOs for that type of content will probably find GW2 grossly lacking.

BUT

There are many things it does very well. The Dynamic Event system is brilliant, and is a superb evolution on what RIFT has already done with its Rifts and Instant Adventure system. DEs draw you in, and are a generally great fun way of levelling. HOWEVER I am not convinced that they will continue to provide enjoyment at max level. RIFT has stuff like that with IA and its Rifts, but it also has a very well made 5 man dungeon and raid system as well - there's TONNES to do at max level. For people who adore PvE, I am not sure GW2 will be able to compete with WoW and Rift.

If you love PvP though, and have a system that can handle WvWvW at decent frame rates (last beta weekend was unplayable in WvWvW for me) then I suspect you will find ALOT of enjoyment from GW2 though, as it's class and combat system is superb. The action is fast, fluid and just feels great. Engineer was some of the most fun I've had on a class in an MMORPG in AGES. This is what saddens me really, if I thought GW2 also had raids, and a solid sounding endgame PvE system beyond just "go do more of what you've been doing for 80 levels, i.e running around in the world looking for NPCs to help out" then I would almost definitely make it my MMO of choice.

However until I can get some kind of guarantee that it will be able to provide the kind of endgame PvE that I enjoy in WoW and Rift, I won't be spending my £50 on it. (Which is also an UTTERLY RIDICULOUS price for a PC game these days, sort it out NCsoft.)
    Last edited by mmoc0783068f89; 2012-07-28 at 04:12 PM.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I did unfortunately not like what GW2 had to offer. I've been in all the beta weekends and even had some "exclusive" looks during a convention in Singapore, but it did not feel like it stood out enough. It might just be me getting tired of MMO's in general. So my answer would be: Test it out yourself. The money put into an MMO for a month is well worth it compared to what you would get with a regular game for the same price tag.

You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are stunned.
    You are dead.
    perfect summation of my frustration with mmo pvp since... shadowbane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slashgordon View Post
    Speaking from a PvE player's standpoint:
    I agree that some of GW2's biggest strengths will also be it's biggest flaws for some people.

The fact that gear doesn't have as much of an impact on character power, coupled with the not hugely tangible power increase from levelling, can really hurt the sense of character progression which is for MANY people one of the main reasons they play MMORPGs at all. This is going to be a big issue for some people. Sure some don't care, but I expect that alot of people do infact care - feeling like you are growing in power as you get gear is one of the perks of raiding. Getting that upgrade, that awesome trinket, that amazing weapon, that brilliant set bonus - it feels good. GW2 doesn't really have that.

People who love MMOs for their endgame PvE may also find it disappointing. I know ALOT of people in my current wow guild and amongst my gaming friends who play MMORPGs solely for endgame pvE and raiding in particular. They derive immense enjoyment and satisfaction from gathering a group of people together and coordinating to take down a hard, technical boss encounter. I'm talking about stuff like Kael Thas, Lady Vashj, Heroic Lich King, Yogg 1 / 0 lights, Heroic Ragnaros etc. People who love MMOs for that type of content will probably find GW2 grossly lacking.
    You've been misinformed. While guild wars 2 doesn't have large sale instanced raids, it does in fact have a pve end game that will be challenging.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-YBsK17j6I
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yepsd...feature=relmfu

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting that upgrade, that awesome trinket, that amazing weapon, that brilliant set bonus - it feels good. GW2 doesn't really have that.
    Yeah it does. It's just purely cosmetic, instead of also being coupled with a power increase.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 12:34 PM ----------

They derive immense enjoyment and satisfaction from gathering a group of people together and coordinating to take down a hard, technical boss encounter.
    You can do this in GW2 with Elite DEs or Explorable dungeons.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 12:36 PM ----------

The Dynamic Event system is brilliant, and is a superb evolution on what RIFT has already done with its Rifts and Instant Adventure system. DEs draw you in, and are a generally great fun way of levelling. HOWEVER I am not convinced that they will continue to provide enjoyment at max level. RIFT has stuff like that with IA and its Rifts, but it also has a very well made 5 man dungeon and raid system as well - there's TONNES to do at max level. For people who adore PvE, I am not sure GW2 will be able to compete with WoW and Rift.
    I'm positive that it will be fine. DEs are immensely fun on their own and, while playing the betas, it was never about leveling for me. I look forward to seeing how the zones are updated and changed over the initial months of release.

You haven't even seen what Orr will be like yet, though we've heard some amazing information about it.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-07-28 at 05:36 PM.

Getting that upgrade, that awesome trinket, that amazing weapon, that brilliant set bonus - it feels good. GW2 doesn't really have that.
    That's subjective. You can't say GW2 doesn't have it simply because you didn't feel it. I certainly did. The only difference is that, in GW2, you're not forced into getting that next piece of gear to stay competitive. It's cosmetic, but there are plenty of people in RIFT or WoW that would pay a fortune for something entirely cosmetic. I am most certainly looking forward to lv80, where I can focus entirely on stat allocation and the look of my toon.

Deleted
    It won't be a wow killer, no but this is refreshing! It's a completely different game yet it is next level MMO which shares genre with wow, of course.
    I tried lotro, warhammer, conan, rift, swtor and then last weekend, gw2. I am itching to play it again. I played wow for several years and have seen it all.
    GW2 is exciting. Believe the hype, it's living up to it. I don't know if I will ever play an MMO as much as I played wow but I love that I can buy this and dip in and out when I feel like it and still feel like I can go hang out in another world and enjoy myself. I might hate it after 6 months but I've never played a beta of a game like that where I felt so robbed when it ended. Which is a very good thing for GW2 and its team.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by segoplout View Post
    It won't be a wow killer, no but this is refreshing! It's a completely different game yet it is next level MMO which shares genre with wow, of course.
    I tried lotro, warhammer, conan, rift, swtor and then last weekend, gw2. I am itching to play it again. I played wow for several years and have seen it all.
    GW2 is exciting. Believe the hype, it's living up to it. I don't know if I will ever play an MMO as much as I played wow but I love that I can buy this and dip in and out when I feel like it and still feel like I can go hang out in another world and enjoy myself. I might hate it after 6 months but I've never played a beta of a game like that where I felt so robbed when it ended. Which is a very good thing for GW2 and its team.
    One does not simply hate guild wars 2.

No but seriously, I'm glad you had fun.