Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Yes, this game is designed so that you can use any class composition but stop saying "any five classes". There's obviously going to be better combinations if your min-maxing. It's going to happen in any game, even Guild Wars 2.
    Five Thieves can be min-maxed without breaking from the five thieves concept.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    This is correct. You can't bring five professions of whatever build and say fuck it and go do tournaments expecting any amount of success.
    Oh no not in tournaments, but in PvE it shouldn't be much of a problem assuming everyone is competent.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Thieves are terrible at sPvP. You won't be able to hold more than one point for any large amount of time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thieves are terrible at sPvP. You won't be able to hold more than one point for any large amount of time.
    lolcurrentbetabalanceislivebalance
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker87 View Post
    Oh no not in tournaments, but in PvE it shouldn't be much of a problem assuming everyone is competent.
    Assuming everyone is competent, it'll be viable to run just about any composition. I imagine "hardcore" PvEers will disagree, since there's better and worse combinations however.

Viable doesn't mean "best" though.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 02:28 PM ----------

lolcurrentbetabalanceislivebalance
    lolbasingdiscussiononhypotheticals

Quote Originally Posted by leafs43 View Post
    Not all classes have all combo fields.

Also combo field application is going to be different between classes.

For example if you want to have a poison combo field at range, you're probably not looking to bring a warrior but rather a thief.
    Right. Based on http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo I came up with this:

Code:
    Class: type

Necro: Dark, Ethereal, Light, Poison

Thief: Dark, Poison, Smoke

Mesmer: Ethereal, Light

Guardian: Fire, Light

Warrior: Fire

Engineer: Fire, Ice, Light, Poison, Smoke

Ranger: Fire, Ice, Poison, Smoke, Water

Elementalist: Fire, Ice, Lightning, Water

Asura: Poison

Finishers

Class: Type

Necro: Blast, Projectile, Whirl

Thief: Blast, Leap, Projectile, Whirl

Mesmer: Blast, Leap, Projectile, Whirl

Guardian: Blast, Leap, Whirl

Warrior: Blast, Leap, Projectile, Whirl

Engineer: Blast, Leap, Projectile

Ranger: Blast, Leap, Projectile, Whirl

Elementalist: Blast, Leap, Projectile, Whirl

Charr: Leap, Projectile

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Thieves are awesome, but if an encounter requires a lot of single target range dps thieves are SoL.

Short bow is too soft on single target and double pistols are an initiative hog.

Deleted
    Yes, all comps are supposed to be viable, and they probably are. But where's talking about hardcore min-maxing, ofcourse there are going to be better comps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thieves are awesome, but if an encounter requires a lot of single target range dps thieves are SoL.

Short bow is too soft on single target and double pistols are an initiative hog.
    Uh.... no...

Pistols are actually really good at single target ranged damage. But no encounter will require a certain amount of sustained dps for success.

Let's go with a 5 warrior group.
    1 built for bleeds
    1 built for banner support with heals
    1 built for shout support with heals / condition removal from shouts.
    2 built for front end or burst damage.

Technically a banner or shout based warrior could also be good with a long bow to provide a burning confition field for the others to use.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnoDomini View Post
    1 built for bleeds

Technically a banner or shout based warrior could also be good with a long bow to provide a burning confition field for the others to use.
    Different warrior builds are noticeably more different than different builds for other professions, so five warriors could work.

Deleted
    But no encounter will require a certain amount of sustained dps for success.
    Woah there cowboy, source on that please? Unless you are working for Anet - then you can throw around claims like that. Otherwise, it's just a speculation.

I'm still laughing at you calling Drake a cowboy. XD

Quote Originally Posted by AnnoDomini View Post
    1 built for bleeds

Then 1 encounter turns into a melee cockblock

Assume you'll want a balance of dps and support. Also assume all player skill is equal in a vacuum i.e. your group is full of good players.

What does your group make up look like?
    Smoothest group is: 1 of each Elementalist, Guardian, Warrior. Any other 2 will do but Mesmer goes a long way. For serious PVE, massive amounts of control and damage is preferable. Stun-lock, snare and kite everything.

Switch weapons to rifle/longbow

Then you realize warriors can use ranged weapons.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 02:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Smoothest group is: 1 of each Elementalist, Guardian, Warrior. Any other 2 will do but Mesmer goes a long way. For serious PVE, massive amounts of control and damage is preferable. Stun-lock, snare and kite everything.
    Those three are really the backbone for any group I've seen at the moment really.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osprey39 View Post
    I really hate these types of threads and wish this kind of mentality would stay in other MMOs where it is already pervasive. Simple fact of the matter is that all classes are capable of control, healing and damage (and they all need to do each to an extent.) The only thing I'm going to be looking for in people I group with is have a clue and don't suck. If you can satisfy those 2 requirements, I don't care what you profession you are.
    Just wondering, how exactly are you going to find out how someone "has a clue" or "sucks" ingame ?
    Do you plan on playing outdoors for a couple of hours for a few days with them before inviting him/her/it into your dungeon grp ?

Those three are really the backbone for any group I've seen at the moment really.
    Probably because they are the 3 most understood of the professions. The others are less obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Probably because they are the 3 most understood of the professions. The others are less obvious.
    This is probably correct.

---------- Post added 2012-07-27 at 03:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ayashi View Post
    Just wondering, how exactly are you going to find out how someone "has a clue" or "sucks" ingame ?
    Do you plan on playing outdoors for a couple of hours for a few days with them before inviting him/her/it into your dungeon grp ?
    I don't think you can link achievements in GW2.

Their armor could be an indication, though.