Poll: Are Windwalker Monks pretty much just Enhancement Shamans on bath salts?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    A lot of Enhancement players who were masochistically playing a spec they didn't enjoy for some reason, maybe.

Windwalkers certainly fit a niche, but it isn't one that's similar to Enhancement. They're more similar to Rogues. These kinds of comments are kind of like how people thought all the Paladins would roll DKs because they were getting what Paladins had always wanted; better resource system, dual wield, better CC/anti-caster stuff.

Funny how we still have prot and ret paladin players, though.
    Mod trolling! woot!

Kung Fu is more in-tune with animal spirits.

Personally, I'm undecided. I am worried at 10 man raids. Rogues and hunters are plentiful, if they want a third agility windwalkers MAY turn out to be more viable. As someone who played enhance since the start of TBC, I weep for our long lost raid utility. We really bring nothing decent anymore, there's not a lot of incentive to bring us. If our DPS is high at the beginning of the expansion MAYBE, but we'd more like get nerfed into the ground as always.

Feral dps (can off tank as needed) - taken over enh
    Hunter (multiple buffs if lacking from pets, brings most enh buffs + ranged is <3) - taken over enh
    Rogue - just better and taken over enh
    Monk - flavor of the expansion, so many for sure one will be taken in nearly ever group

In a 10 man, you won't see many raids with more than three agility users.

Optimally you'll see
    tank1
    tank2
    ranged dps
    ranged dps
    ranged dps
    melee dps
    melee dps
    healer1
    healer2
    wildcard

Bet your bottom dollar one melee dps will be a plate user.
    Last edited by iggie; 2012-08-04 at 10:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    If you asked anyone what class/spec do you think "Windwalker" sounds like, they'd prob say shaman and not monk.....if they renamed the specs for Shaman then Windwalker would have been perfect for Enhance.....and infact "Mistweaver" would have been perfect for Resto with all the water themed spells they have.....I've never heard of mists connected with monks until "mists of panderia"......water for resto and wind for enhance are commonly related themes.

Plus there are several Shaman NPC's in WoW already with Windwalker surnames.....and even Native American Shamans have used the name "Windwalker"....so yea it was def a Shaman thing first.

I really don't care for 2H, just pointing out that Blizz went and accommodated DK's when they said Frost would be DW only and gave them 2H back....and then Monks as a DW agility class (when the problem with a 2H enhance was all the 2H's were str) and let them use 2H staffs as well (dunno if there are any other 2H agil weapons other then that). But despite players also wanting a 2H shaman they weren't willing to make that work.

There is also tanking, or tanking AND 2H....which Enhance wanted but both DK's and Monks have gotten....an Earth themed shaman that could DW or use 2H and tank would have been awesome and a longtime dream for many Shaman.

I already explained that I prefer DW for double imbues, this wasn't my attempt to bring 2H back so there is no need for your contradictions.....I'm giving the only known examples I know of things Enhance wanted or suggested that the other new classes have received. I don't see many other similarities between Monks and Enhance other then those facts.....DW and 2H, can tank, and the windwalker name.....maybe statues look like totems....infinite resource? Not sure but they seem like pretty different specs and playstyles....DK and enhance seemed more similar imo
    I completely agree with you in terms of semantics. But I don't think there's any similarities in gameplay. Monks have been getting A LOT of things that A LOT of other classes have been asking for a long time. Don't think you're alone in this. But you're kidding yourself if you think monks are likely to replace shaman in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    I completely agree with you in terms of semantics. But I don't think there's any similarities in gameplay. Monks have been getting A LOT of things that A LOT of other classes have been asking for a long time. Don't think you're alone in this. But you're kidding yourself if you think monks are likely to replace shaman in anything.
    Actually, they are for sure going to replace a melee slot. Which one - well that depends on how class performance will look like. I think that ferals will even have it harder.

From what I have seen from streams/been told by friends who have done the heroic raiding on Beta, WW monks are actually fairly lackluster, they do decent single target damage but their AoE/cleave is atrocious. They are OK but nothing special at all, the real stars are the Monk healers, if anything resto's should be angry.
    Last edited by Weaponized Nuclear Kitten; 2012-08-05 at 05:17 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protoman View Post
    If you asked anyone what class/spec do you think "Windwalker" sounds like, they'd prob say shaman and not monk.....if they renamed the specs for Shaman then Windwalker would have been perfect for Enhance.....and infact "Mistweaver" would have been perfect for Resto with all the water themed spells they have.....I've never heard of mists connected with monks until "mists of panderia"......water for resto and wind for enhance are commonly related themes.
    Ever played Warcraft 3? Blademaster and Wind Walk? BM looks and feels a lot more monk than shaman to me.

Plus there are several Shaman NPC's in WoW already with Windwalker surnames.....and even Native American Shamans have used the name "Windwalker"....so yea it was def a Shaman thing first.
    Funny. I searched Wowhead and found one NPC with Windwalker surname. Gilshalan Windwalker. Night elf in Teldrassil 1-5 level town handing out few quests. I give you that there is actually shamans named Windwalkers. All the arakkoa "shamans" are called Windwalkers. But that has most likely more to do with the fact that they are birds.

I really don't care for 2H, just pointing out that Blizz went and accommodated DK's when they said Frost would be DW only and gave them 2H back....and then Monks as a DW agility class (when the problem with a 2H enhance was all the 2H's were str) and let them use 2H staffs as well (dunno if there are any other 2H agil weapons other then that). But despite players also wanting a 2H shaman they weren't willing to make that work.
    Ahh, the always lovely topic of "WE WANT 2H WEAPONZ BACK!!1". It simply is not gonna happen. In vanilla it was all about Windfury procs in PvP. In tBC it was all about Windfury procs in PvP (those who played 2h instead of DW in pvp). All the time it was totally crap in PvE. Past these 3 expansios devs have totally tunneled that DW is only choice for enh. They are not gonna undo and redo the whole spec just to satisfy small minority who want 2h to be again viable.

There is also tanking, or tanking AND 2H....which Enhance wanted but both DK's and Monks have gotten....an Earth themed shaman that could DW or use 2H and tank would have been awesome and a longtime dream for many Shaman.
    Ahh, the always lovely topic of "WE WANT TO BE TANKZ AGAIN!!1". Wait.. I just deja vu. Think I said something similar earlier. This also brims back from vanilla when Earth Shock and Rockbiter were generating extra threat and enh had shield specific talent. They could offtank some random mob in 5 man back in the days but so can any melee nowadays with the cooldowns. As specs have been streamlined all this sort of pointless mumbojumbo has been snipped away for a reason. Because it's pointless. Again only very tiny minority on golden nostalgia trip wants this back.

I already explained that I prefer DW for double imbues, this wasn't my attempt to bring 2H back so there is no need for your contradictions.....I'm giving the only known examples I know of things Enhance wanted or suggested that the other new classes have received. I don't see many other similarities between Monks and Enhance other then those facts.....DW and 2H, can tank, and the windwalker name.....maybe statues look like totems....infinite resource? Not sure but they seem like pretty different specs and playstyles....DK and enhance seemed more similar imo
    TL;DR
    Those who want 2h and tanking for shamans are people who are on nostalgia trip back in the vanilla times when the whole game was different all the way to core mechanics like abilities and stats. Devs have multiple times stated they do not intend to bring either one back into shaman gameplay. These comments date all the way back to Wrath of the Lich King.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYFioGqC2qQ - The true nature of finnish people