ISO Gaming Laptop...

Currently I am running a Dell Inspiron 570 AMD athlon(tm) II x4 630 Processor 2.8GHZ 6gigs ram, 750gig harddrive, ATi Radeon HD 5500 series graphics card....

I believe that is all pertinent information needed for this. My goal is to get a gaming laptop of equal or greater value, my current budget is around $1200-1500.

My end goal for this laptop will be school (computer maint. and repair major), as this is my first semester it's not so important in that regard, playing WoW, currently I play on I would say medium graphics which I am content with, I will have GW2 and I play LoL (I know not as big of a deal). But I want a laptop for that budget that can do everything my current desktop can. I run dual monitored, sometimes record with xfire, TGN cam or MSI afterburner (been testing out new recording software). Any advice and links would be appreciated.

Check out this website. You could take a look in particular at the Sager NP9150. You can fit a 7970M in it with that budget.

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    Check out this website. You could take a look in particular at the Sager NP9150. You can fit a 7970M in it with that budget.
    I usually go AMD as much as possible, but the 670m is a much better solution.

Why would the 670M be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    The 7970M would win in any title vs the 670M in terms of performance. By a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I'm sorry, what?
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The 7970M Does seem to be better than the 670M, but someone was asking about this laptop earlier, it has some decent options and even base price ($899)version should do what your saying. Though you can make a few upgrades and stay under budget. Sadly the 7970M is not an option with HP. http://shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-of...nt-Notebook-PC
    Cairne, my brother, I will avenge your death, Magatha Grimtotem and her followers will pay with their lives.

I wouldn't buy a brand name like HP for gaming, but that's just me.

"Gaming Laptop"

Hah.

Pretty much one of the worst investments you can make in the gaming world.

Protip: lots of "Gaming laptop" GPU's aren't supported by game publishers/developers.

Wanna know why?

Cuz they run hot and destroy your components in the process.
    Signature Nazi's suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not even remotely true Muezick, it's people forgetting to turn Vsync on.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post
    "Gaming Laptop"

Hah.

Pretty much one of the worst investments you can make in the gaming world.

Protip: lots of "Gaming laptop" GPU's aren't supported by game publishers/developers.

Wanna know why?

well that's a load of bs

also, i second the Sager NP9150

i have one, and it runs better than most people's desktops, although i went higher than $1500, i also went with dual SSDs

i would also suggest that you look at the NP9170, it's a 17" version that would be better if you don't plan on being portable

Thanks for the replies guys. I definitely will look over those options and see where I end up. I intend on taking the laptop with me to my college classes and to work, as my job tends to slow down alot during the winter so I can just tool around on it there and do some homework. I have never had an SSD so it terms of that price, I am not really to concerned, as I'll just go with what I've always had . Thanks again guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stay away from 17 inch laptops if you're going to carry it around.

Armory

Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Stay away from 17 inch laptops if you're going to carry it around.
    I have had 3 straight 17" laptops, and never minded carrying it around. Myself, I would much rather have the larger screen, but it is pretty much a personal preference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muezick View Post

Wanna know why?

Only if the manufacturer is incompetent and doesn't design in proper cooling.

"Run hot and destroy your components" describes a lot of the stock cooling I've in OEM desktops.
    Last edited by Masark; 2012-07-30 at 10:37 PM.

I just got my 9170 a couple days ago, and the only problems are in fact related to cooling and the GPU. The 7970 is amazing, but the Enduro system is kind of a pain in the ass. They absolutely messed up with the cooling system on the GPU, there are numerous threads pointing this out on TNR, and a few minor fixes for it. Would have been nice if they'd fixed it a while ago, but the card/laptop is still blazingly fast, so I can overlook a hot video card.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly how hot is it?

Hot components on laptops are normal due to the way airflow works on them.

Armory