Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Having a high IQ matters very little. If you want to be the next Steve Jobs or Richard Branson the key words are: Work hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    maybe i'm not that lazy after all. I read this whole thread..each and every word :shrug:

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by greysinsanderson View Post
    this world rewards social skills and ass kissing, intelligence is really not the most desirable trait these days. if you're competent and know how to sell yourself to people you'll go farther than any genius. that has a lot to do with intelligent people not "living up to their potential". we're at a point where awesome breakthroughs happen, get absorbed by the government so maybe they can kill someone with it, then passed on to the public
    Social intelligence is also a form of intelligence. And really, being actually intelligent and getting yourself a good degree is very lucrative as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    IQ is only flawed in the sense it only tests one intelligence, mainly the one about how well your brain deals with figures etc. That goes for the mensa test, there's tests for other "intelligences" aswell though.
    are you stupid if you don't know french and do horrible on an IQ test in french? of course not, but you wouldn't be rewarded for being smart enough to translate the test via online tools and doing well on it.

that's the problem with a lot of tests, you are punished for not meeting 100% of the criteria that someone thought you should when they made the test. it's why ALL tests should be taken with a grain of salt. stupid people can get lucky and smart people can be unlucky

to me, real intelligence is how you deal with adversity. the ability to preserve your own livelihood is the ultimate intelligence

I'm not a genius, but I definitely don't "live up to my potential" either. You get straight As and high SAT/ACT scores and all your teachers, relatives, and friends decide you have to be a doctor or lawyer or something else intense, impressive, and wealthy...and they damn sure don't understand why you're totally fine with an average, "boring" life.

10+ Year Old Account
    A genius is really someone who utilizes both aspects needed to succeed...

Drive (Non-lazyness, ability to communicate and all that.)

Intelligence (Or at least a mind capable of processing and retaining information at a higher than average rate)

So no, you're not a genius, I am not a genius. Very very few people are geniuses if we are referring to genius in the conventional sense.
    The Arts claim their own geniuses for other specific reasons. But if we're just generalizing then most of us do not fit this bill.

We may have the drive, and be smart enough, but we're not above the percentage we think we are. We're just educated and driven by the goals set for us by our surroundings in order to survive and survive well enough.

A genius is driven further, and is capable of even more. And tends to receive positive stimulus by doing it. (Speculative studies)

If we're going by IQ (again not backed up by hard work), I'm intelligent, not above average much.
    If we're going by Drive, again I'm pretty in the middle. I am driven simply by a need to be recognized by certain bodies, and to survive at a level I can live comfortably and the way I have some medium of control over.

Genius, goes beyond that in both paths.
    Last edited by Aqua; 2012-07-29 at 10:40 PM.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Social intelligence is also a form of intelligence. And really, being actually intelligent and getting yourself a good degree is very lucrative as well.
    studies have been done time and time again, attractive and likable people get hired over more qualified people. they get promotions at a higher rate. we feel bad if we don't reward that guy we like at the office gatherings who does a good enough job but is really funny and goes that extra mile from time to time to really stand out.

when the guy who does his job perfectly has no personality, we don't mind or really even think about his feelings.

when you relate to someone, you want to see them do well and when you have the power to help them out, you often do. i have a brother who is a dipshit, the guy isn't book smart and has always depended on me to deal with shit. he's a great guy and EVERYONE likes him though and he's done fine solely because of this. he has a job he wasn't qualified for because he is just a likable guy who never voices disagreements.

the word intelligence is thrown around because we feel guilty that intelligence isn't always rewarded, but not enough to reward it

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 05:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mikael123 View Post
    Having a high IQ matters very little. If you want to be the next Steve Jobs or Richard Branson the key words are: Work hard.
    i read branson's book, more than anything he just wanted to succeed and he got involved in a little of everything, but he's also a very likable guy, people love to work for him and seems to actually care about his employees. he's just a happy guy who exudes that "glad to be alive today" vibe

jobs was nothing like that. he was more like someone you wanted to gain the approval of to the point that you'd sacrifice everything to do it. he had a ton of drive too but he wasn't someone you'd enjoy being around, but when you saw your boss working harder than anyone, you wanted to put in some extra time out of respect

jobs was more about hard work and branson was more about "willing to try anything and enjoy doing it"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PickledOnion View Post
    hurrdurr wouldn't it be cool to have a toaster inside cars.
    Shit son! I think you're onto something here.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Sheldon Cooper also does that

And he knows he is intelligent - his mother had him tested
    Sheldon Cooper is a character though. I have yet to see an actual genius act like him. Also, his mother had him tested for insanity, not intelligence. His intelligence can't be accurately measured by traditional tests.
    Last edited by Seregon; 2012-07-29 at 10:52 PM.

Deleted
    Genius can't be measured or achieved. IQ can be measured and achieved/improved.
    This leads me to the conclusion that anything we normal humans can put a number on, really isn't anything peculiar.

When it comes to genius. You either are or you aren't !

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrasibion View Post
    IQ of 172. Extremely lazy. I'm actually too lazy to give a more detailed explanation as to why I'm so lazy. I could provide proof for the 172 IQ if needed, but nah... Too lazy.
    IQ means absolutely nothing when it comes to actual intelligence, seeing how intelligence is defined in an almost indefinite amount of ways. People who get far have drive and ambition, something that outstrips anything else, even intelligence.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 04:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I'm not a genius, but I'm definitely smart and lazy.
    Last year when I took trigonometry (first time I've done any work with angles and shit), I never opened my book and didn't do a single homework assignment. I still passed with a B. I know that if I tried I could have easily obtained an A, thats where my laziness/lack of enthusiasm comes in.
    You don't know if you would or not. The difference between an A and a B in a class is massive. Just like the difference between a 95% on an exam and 100%. You're just setting yourself up in a safety net so you won't *fail* by saying you didn't try.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might not be a genius, but my mom tells me i'm special!
    I do get what you are saying though, having ideas and dreams that you don't manage to do anything with for whatever reason. Sucks, but it happens to most people.

That's not to say you won't ever achieve your goals and make something out of your ideas, I know countless of people who where dead ends after school and whatnot. Only to later excel at studies in later years, motivation is the key I would say.

If you got great ideas, but no drive to implement them, why don't you just post them online, and let others implement them.
    You won't get credit, but if your idea is great, it good to have it around, right?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tommypilgrim View Post
    You should research the Dunning–Kruger effect.
    That may be true in some cases, but not all of them. Who are we to judge?

Genius is worthless without drive and showing the results of your efforts... Like quite a lot of other human traits.

I know there's supposed to be some sort of prestige involved with high IQs, but much like a ceremonial sword on a shelf, it doesn't amount to much when not put to use. Someone with a very low IQ that accomplishes something useful has more worth than a certified genius who reflects at length upon their vast, poorly quantified intellectual intelligence.

Wait. Is this one of those games where you pick a response and flip to a certain page in the book to see what happens next?

Same... I feel like i have a very good understanding of things and several dreams/ideas, but im just toolazy.. Even at my job, my boss says i do a great job, but i know i could do better >.<

Having "ideas" does not make you a genius, anyone can have ideas, the question, can you do anything with them? I've personally been told I'm "smart", not genius or anything, I can learn math quickly and I remember things, but there's a lot to learn for me until I can actually use it. Sadly I have a tendency to be lazy at school and work hard at work, when getting that degree would be useful to have.

An example, I've been thinking of having TV be internetbased, where the channels can put up the same program as they currently do each day, but you can choose when to see whatever which is airing that day, and you can obviously watch things that been previously aired etc. I havent heard of this yet, but I'm not as shortsighted to not realize that I'm the only one who have thought of this, and networks are probably working towards this, at least they should. Also I do not have the skillset to develop this either, even if I had the idea by myself. This might even exist in some sort in America perhaps? It doesnt in Norway at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Magzilla View Post
    Got any more weaboo nerd cliches you'd like to tack on while you're on a roll? Let me guess...you're a deadpan snarker too?
    Oh boy, more people misusing that word again.
    But anyways, I would consider a complete jenius.A jenius of top caliber.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've got this great idea to stop posting on these forums and be more productive.

I'm too lazy and I've got a very strong and fond affection for mmo-champion.com. <3
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    Ok I'll give you Warren Buffett and Steve Jobs.

Bill Gates is definitely a genius. No doubt. Obviously, if you've only heard about him from the news you'd think he's all hype. On the other hand, if you've heard him speak or read about how he specifically built the Microsoft enterprise in a specific way to make money (Windows < Apple but Windows has better market cap. wut?), then you'd think he's a genius.
    Steve Jobs was kicked out of Apple despite being the founder, started his own business, made a profit off of Apple with this business then was asked to rejoin Apple. The man was most definitely a genius.

Deleted
    Everyone believes they are a genius.

The fact that you do not act on it proves you are not.