Page 1 of 134
... LastLast

Supreme Court upholds the Affordable Health Care Act in its entirety

In a decision of 5-4, the Supreme Court upholds the Affordable Health Care Act ("Obamacare"), noting that the Individual Mandate is actually a tax.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1585131.html

I can say, personally, I'm more relieved that it wasn't struck down and I wasn't removed from my parents Health Insurance as due to it no longer being required (I'm 23).

So it begins, the government forcing you to do business with a private enterprise that offers a service you may not want or need, is labelled as a tax.

Deleted
    People will wail now... until they realize that there's no such thing as 'no insurance due to pre-existing condition'...

Congratulations with the healthcare we used to have :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot! I'm shocked, but happy to hear it.

Now the Republicans will throw a shit fit and try to figure out how to repeal it legislatively. Not because it's a bad idea, but because they need to win.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Woot! I'm shocked, but happy to hear it.

Now the Republicans will throw a shit fit and try to figure out how to repeal it legislatively. Not because it's a bad idea, but because they need to win.
    Unless they swing large majorities in the Senate, won't happen. For not at least 6 years.

And while I'm happy of this decision, I have a strong feeling Roberts sided with the moderates if for no other reason than to make sure his court doesn't look any more like a partisan entity than it already does.

Phew. This is really good, I was worried they were going to play politics instead of doing what was right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Very strange that they upheld it on what the government said it wasn't.

The great news is that they struck down the Commerce Clause argument. This will end up very badly for Obama in November. This will charge up the Republican base like nothing else ever has. This law will be repealed in January.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    The rest of the law aside, quite frankly I'm shocked that the individual mandate was upheld.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    So it begins, the government forcing you to do business with a private enterprise that offers a service you may not want or need, is labelled as a tax.
    Everyone needs health care, this isn't even an argument. There are tons of taxes out there you get breaks on for various things, this is literally no different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Unless they swing large majorities in the Senate, won't happen. For not at least 6 years.
    They will repeal it the same way it was passed, as a budgetary item that cannot be filibustered.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post

The great news is that they struck down the Commerce Clause argument. This will end up very badly for Obama in November. This will charge up the Republican base like nothing else ever has. This law will be repealed in January.
    Like I said, unless the Republicans somehow get to 60 in the Senate, this won't happen.

They will repeal it the same way it was passed, as a budgetary item that cannot be filibustered.
    You realize the reason they spent so long kissing the ring of the few pro-life Democrats is so that they could get to 60 votes and prevent the filibuster, right?

I like these Christians to explain to me the concept of helping the sick or poor, but not form my pocket.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Won't make it through the current senate. It's only the house that is full of crazies.

I am Murloc!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    Everyone needs health care, this isn't even an argument.
    That's good, because that isn't what he said.

Won't make it through the current senate. It's only the house that is full of crazies.
    Each side is pushing their own agenda. One side being different than the other doesn't necessarily make it full of crazies.

I expected 5-4 with Kennedy or maybe 6-3 with Roberts and Kennedy

Surprised but pleased

Good news: this curbs some of the worst abuses of health insurance companies, gets millions of people coverage, and will save tens or even hundreds of thousands of lives.

Bad news: it's still putting health care in the hands of health insurers, guaranteeing prices will rise and they will try to screw people.

This is a win for the American people...but only over the implications of striking down the law and leaving things pretty much status quo. As a solution it's still a crappy one. But it will save lives, and it will mean that it can be used as a starting spot to actually improving the system and getting one that works better. Basically, this is step 1 out of about 20 steps that need to be taken. So it's crappy as it is...but it's a needed crappy 1st step.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    The rest of the law aside, quite frankly I'm shocked that the individual mandate was upheld.
    I am too. Even though I believed it to be constitutional, I thought the justification for its constitutionality was pretty flimsy, and seeing the way this court has been ruling lately, I felt pretty sure they'd strike it down. Happy they didn't.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Everyone needs health care, this isn't even an argument. There are tons of taxes out there you get breaks on for various things, this is literally no different.
    My point is that they are labelling it as a tax, even though you are doing business with a private enterprise, for services you may not want. There are a lot of reasons someone might not want healthcare, some reasonable and some stupid.

And now it has been set: Any Congress, including REPUBLICAN ones, can require you to buy something or face a "tax."

Think on that, if you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I am too. Even though I believed it to be constitutional, I thought the justification for its constitutionality was pretty flimsy, and seeing the way this court has been ruling lately, I felt pretty sure they'd strike it down. Happy they didn't.
    Didn't help that the person they had arguing the reason why it was constitutional came off like an idiot. In fact, wasn't it Scalia who was talking about the difference between a mandate and a tax?

How awesomely ironic would it be if they took his advice.