Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    They're largely a Bible Belt-based franchise. Actively opposing Gay Marriage will likely benefit them more than a few hundred college kids protesting them will hurt.
    It's a lot more than a "few hundred college kids." I support gay marriage, or whatever other type of marriage people want, and I'll still continue to dine there because I can respect them for not caving under media pressure.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well the thing is, just like Chick-Fil-A has their right to an opinion, so do the people protesting Chick-Fil-A's opinion. While the protesters seem to think that anyone having any other opinion than them is blasphemy, they're still allowed to think and say that. Now I'm not sure about the law on this one, but I think it's perfectly fine for mayors to try to make something leave the city. It isn't like the owner of Chick-Fil-A is being punished by the law for his opinion, it's other people punishing Chick-Fil-A. This is exactly the same as boycotting a product because, say, it was made in sweat shops in China.

TL;DR: While I think the protesters are being idiots by trying to say that someone else's opinion is wrong, both sides are exercising their right to free speech and therefore neither sides are technically doing anything wrong.

I'm on the side of Chick-Fil-A in this one because I think that the whole deal with gay marriage just gets way out of hand. I don't support the legalization of weed but I and other people who have similar thoughts as I do aren't defamed by "Legalize Weed" activist groups and the media. The weed legalization debate is very similar to the gay marriage one because both not being legal infringe on other people's lifestyles. I think gay marriage should be legal without question, but I think that the legalize gay marriage bandwagons have just gotten much too large.

"We have the right to free speech and free expression, why aren't we allowed to get married?" -Gay couple

"You can't have any opinion about gay marriage other than ours or we'll make you pay!" -Gay couple

^ The hypocrisy pains me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    It is as if you are only entitled to voice your opinion if you agree with certain stances. That isn't what our First Amendment was about last time I checked.
    This really bugs me. Here's the thing...Dan Cathy, Chik-fil-A's COO who ignited this shit storm, his freedom of speech WAS NOT IMPEDED! This has absolutely nothing to do with the First Amendment. Nothing. Stop throwing it around as if it's a thing. It seems like everytime someone says something bigoted in the media, and then there's a negative response, First Amendment gets thrown out like ref flag.

He freely spoke his mind, it resonated with some people, and others were revolted by it. Those people have a right to their opinion as well, and if they want to voice it on the news, Twitter, whatever, that's their right to be outraged and disgusted. First Amendment is working as intended. Everyone is speaking their mind.

Should there be negative social repercusions for bigots (verbal backlash, not supporting their businesses, etc)? I think so. I remember growing up reading about slavery, segregation, women's rights and thinking, "How in the world were these horrible things allowed to go on for so long??? Or at all?" Because people didn't speak up. Because when someone said something demeaning about black people, others either looked the other way, couldn't be bothered by it, or nodded in agreement.

We're seeing that less and less when it comes to gay rights. And as a gay dude, it makes me very happy when I see these public officials stand up for equality. They may not have the legal authority to do anything to Chik-Fil-A, but their words and actions send a powerful message.
    Last edited by Bavol; 2012-07-30 at 07:10 PM.

Its not just gay marriage they fund efforts against. They give money to organization that work to oppose anything for the LGBT community from gay marriage down to hospital visitation and housing protection. People are right to boycott that.

Quote Originally Posted by Orist View Post
    The issue for me isnt about his freedom of speech or his own beliefs. Its about him giving money to organizations who are bigoted and targeted specifically at homosexuals. My views are different than his and i'll be damned if my money is going to help fund these kind of hate groups.
    Pretty much this, if the guy was only talking about how he thought gay marriage is wrong that would be one thing. But he's giving money to groups trying to prevent equal rights. Boycotting companies who do things with the money you give them that you don't like makes perfect sense to me.

As for right-wingers boycotting things, I know I saw some pretty ugly comments, including calls to boycott, when JCPenny (a dept store for those who don't know) hired Ellen Degeneres as a spokesperson. As far as I know JCP didn't come out saying anything about homosexuality, they just hired a gay woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    It's a lot more than a "few hundred college kids." I support gay marriage, or whatever other type of marriage people want, and I'll still continue to dine there because I can respect them for not caving under media pressure.
    Being stubbornly wrong is not a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by gnomergon View Post
    Interracial marriage was an idea that was long illegal in the south, or highly persecuted at the very least. The legal establishment of this type of marriage was never put into a vote, because it involves disparaging a certain portion of the population from enjoying a right that everyone else enjoys merely because a certain type of people do not approve of it. It would be akin to allowing only allowing straight whites to have a job, or be able to vote, or get healthcare, or retirement plans; It is not something that should be left up to a popular vote. It is a simple right (or if you prefer, privilege), that many are being denied simply because many don't like it.

I will take a moment to point out that interracial marriage is different from gay marriage. Christianity (in fact, no religion that I know of) calls a person wrong for being born phyiscally different. That racism was so rooted in the South is a shame. Many religions point out issues with homosexuality for going against nature. Even evolution is supposed to be about procreation, which isn't possible in a homosexual relationship (unless you get a third party involved).

I'll openly state that I don't support gay marriage. Yes, I'm a Christian, but I don't see homosexuality as a good thing from a Creationaist or Evolutionist angle. You're either saying it's a sin or you're saying it's proof that a person's genes aren't worthy to be furthered into the future gene pool (as they are in a position that prevents procreation, which implies not being fit to survive through the act). I'm certainly not the extremeist that my dad is on the matter, but I do view homosexuality as something that is a choice and something that is a difficult sin to overcome. That's not to say I hate gays. I hate homosexuality, but I wouldn't go so far as to refuse service to a gay customer at a place of business. I wouldn't go on some unprovoked rant against gays in public or anything. However, I WOULD have a hard time being friends with gays, just because I have a hard time accepting a lifestyle that I think is harmful to my own.

All of that said, I'll be called a homophobe and have been. I'll get called a bigot, even though most calling me a bigot are being bigoted at the same time. I'm not being malicious in my viewpoints, just stating that I want what's best for people, and that I don't believe homosexuality to be that, just as I don't like drugs, alcohol, or a number of other things. This is also despite the fact that I don't see myself as anywhere close to perfect.

All of that said, back to the matter of interracial relationships. I'm in no way a racist. My mom dated a black guy, and I had no issue with that (though I didn't like that she cheated on my dad with him). I don't personally find blacks attractive, but I don't think they're all ugly or anything. I've got nothing against personal appearance differences that are beyond one's control (you can't CHOOSE which race you are). Tattoos and piercings? Those are a different story, haha.

Opionions are cool, I like them. They lead to debate and critical thinking. However what chic-fil-a did that particuarly pissed people off was the fact that they donated a large sum of money to an anti-gay foundation. They litteraly gave money for people to hate and discriminate other people. Every company has it's right to maintain an opinion, if I didn't say that I wouldn't be an american. But they cross the line (for me at least) when they openly start helping a cause that wants to disable a basic human right for other people.
    Interestingly enough, I enjoyed their chicken much more before it was plastered in hate and homophobia.

Quote Originally Posted by Artravus View Post
    "We have the right to free speech and free expression, why aren't we allowed to get married?" -Gay couple

"You can't have any opinion about gay marriage other than ours or we'll make you pay!" -Gay couple

^ The hypocrisy pains me.
    This times 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Being stubbornly wrong is not a virtue.
    Wrong in your opinion, correct in theirs. If their religious beliefs tell them that marriage is solely between a man and a woman, who are you to tell them otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Personally as a fiscally conservative, and socially liberal individual I feel that homosexuals should be allowed to marry. I however would like to see it legalized at the state level via popular vote.
    Civil rights should never be up for a vote. There are still states in the US that would likely reject a referendum allowing mixed-race marriage. It's a good thing that race-based equality legislation didn't wait for a popular majority. Gays shouldn't have to wait for civil rights until a majority approve either.
    Help control the population. Have your blood elf spayed or neutered.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    I will take a moment to point out that interracial marriage is different from gay marriage. Christianity (in fact, no religion that I know of) calls a person wrong for being born phyiscally different. That racism was so rooted in the South is a shame. Many religions point out issues with homosexuality for going against nature. Even evolution is supposed to be about procreation, which isn't possible in a homosexual relationship (unless you get a third party involved).

I'll openly state that I don't support gay marriage. Yes, I'm a Christian, but I don't see homosexuality as a good thing from a Creationaist or Evolutionist angle. You're either saying it's a sin or you're saying it's proof that a person's genes aren't worthy to be furthered into the future gene pool (as they are in a position that prevents procreation, which implies not being fit to survive through the act). I'm certainly not the extremeist that my dad is on the matter, but I do view homosexuality as something that is a choice and something that is a difficult sin to overcome. That's not to say I hate gays. I hate homosexuality, but I wouldn't go so far as to refuse service to a gay customer at a place of business. I wouldn't go on some unprovoked rant against gays in public or anything. However, I WOULD have a hard time being friends with gays, just because I have a hard time accepting a lifestyle that I think is harmful to my own.

All of that said, I'll be called a homophobe and have been. I'll get called a bigot, even though most calling me a bigot are being bigoted at the same time. I'm not being malicious in my viewpoints, just stating that I want what's best for people, and that I don't believe homosexuality to be that, just as I don't like drugs, alcohol, or a number of other things. This is also despite the fact that I don't see myself as anywhere close to perfect.

All of that said, back to the matter of interracial relationships. I'm in no way a racist. My mom dated a black guy, and I had no issue with that (though I didn't like that she cheated on my dad with him). I don't personally find blacks attractive, but I don't think they're all ugly or anything. I've got nothing against personal appearance differences that are beyond one's control (you can't CHOOSE which race you are). Tattoos and piercings? Those are a different story, haha.
    Your post literally makes no sense
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201207020001

Quote Originally Posted by equalitymatters.org
    WinShape Gave Over $1.9 Million To Anti-Gay Groups. In 2010, WinShape donated $1,974,380 to a number of anti-gay groups:

Marriage & Family Foundation: $1,188,380
    Fellowship Of Christian Athletes: $480,000
    National Christian Foundation: $247,500
    New Mexico Christian Foundation: $54,000
    Exodus International: $1,000
    Family Research Council: $1,000
    Georgia Family Council: $2,500
    MARRIAGE & FAMILY FOUNDATION (MFF)

Chick-Fil-A Vice President Launched Marriage And Family Legacy Fund. Donald "Bubba" Cathy, Chick-fil-A’s senior vice president, helped launched the Marriage and Family Legacy Fund (MFLF), which “pool[s] funds for a national marriage media campaign and provide start-up grants for local initiatives to promote stable, lasting marriages.” [Philanthropy Roundtable, October 2007]

MFLF Is A Project Of The Anti-Gay Marriage CoMission. The MFLF was created to be the “implementation and funding arm” for the Marriage CoMission, a coalition of groups formed in response to the “downward spiral of marriage and the traditional family in America.” [MFLF Executive Summary, accessed 6/27/12, Marriage CoMission, accessed 6/27/12]

Marriage CoMission Is Supported By Prominent Anti-Gay Activists. Since its inception, the CoMission has been supported by anti-gay activists such as Exodus International's Alan Chambers and Citizens for Community Values' Barry Sheets. [Marriage CoMission, accessed 10/28/11]
    Click here to learn more about the Marriage CoMission and its ties to anti-gay groups

MFLF Officially Changed Its Name To The Marriage & Family Foundation. [Office of the Secretary of State of West Virginia, 6/17/08]

WinShape Donated $1,188,380 To Marriage & Family Foundation. WinShape donated $1,188,380 to the Marriage & Family Foundation (MFF) in 2010. [Winshape 2010 Publicly Available IRS 990 Form via Foundation Center, accessed 6/27/12]
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

this issue has nothing to do with opinions. it's completely a civil rights issue. every human deserves the same rights. chick fil a is in the wrong here.

As I told a friend, they can believe whatever they want. I disagree with their lobbying of lawmakers and creating organizations of their said opinion, however.

Religion is rubbish, I've never heard of a "Chick-Fil-A" until this news, I guess they are doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Wrong in your opinion, correct in theirs. If their religious beliefs tell them that marriage is solely between a man and a woman, who are you to tell them otherwise?
    Wrong in your opinion too. You're financially supporting a cause you believe to be morally wrong. They can believe whatever they want. But its stupid to help them spread their belief.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Because you don't have all the information, it seems. It's not about "we don't support support them", it's about the fact they give a large amount of money to gay-suppression groups and organizations.

It's basically like saying "I personally am totally okay with gays, but I also give money to groups that lobby to make sure they don't have a place to live in the world."
    Basically this. Dumb ass owner opened himself to potential discrimination law suits because say if someone gets promoted now over a homosexual person, then you can sue based on what the owner said.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyflop View Post
    this issue has nothing to do with opinions. it's completely a civil rights issue. every human deserves the same rights. chick fil a is in the wrong here.
    Well homosexuals can be in a relationship with one another just fine, the problem is that marriage is a government institution besides being a social one, and it grants legal privileges that you only get for being married, and you don't get those if you are not allowed to be married.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    A company with medieval opinions running an obesity factory, what could possible go wrong.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.