The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

vertical gray line crash

Hi everyone i have the msi twin frozr 7850 and i keep getting a weird vertical gray line crash.(i cant do anything but force a shutdown from power button on my tower) Happens when im playing games and even on idle. I read on the internet and read that it could be due to a failing graphics card or a flash problem, i havent uninstalled anything as of yet, and my card is about 2 weeks old. I must mention though that the card can get as hot as 70C, so if someone could help me out it would be great!

70C is totally fine, at 85C or over you can start worrying if the card is not manually overclocked.

First try completely removing and then reinstalling graphics drivers and revert all overclocking tweaks, then try running Unigine Heaven few times and keep an eye on the screen.

If you see visible glitches of any kind, including crashes, 90% sure your graphics card is broken. If the benchmark runs through flawlessly, try reinstalling whole Windows.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2012-07-31 at 10:04 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I appreciate this reply, and i will be doing so tomorrow morning as for now its time for me to sleep goodnight mmochamp (oh and if anyone else has suggestions or comments please post)

70C on an MSI twin frozr isnt that amazing, yes the card can handle it but my GTX 560 ti twin frozr never goes above 48C with dual monitors and games running. download MSI Afterburner so you can check the speed of your fans to see if they are spinning at a reasonable speed (or spinning at all)

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah i have the afterburner and they basically run (percentage wise) whatever my gpus temperature is at so if its at 70c fans will blow around 70-75, and by that amazing does it put the card at risk?

Quote Originally Posted by Pacabra View Post
    yeah i have the afterburner and they basically run (percentage wise) whatever my gpus temperature is at so if its at 70c fans will blow around 70-75, and by that amazing does it put the card at risk?
    No. As I said you can start worrying after 85C. 70C is normal for high end overclocking, but the card should run at about 60C straight out of the box.

If you haven't touched any overclocking options and it's showing 70C you might have problems with either the card's heatsink/fan (would explain the crashes) or your computer's case airflow is messed up and everything inside runs 10-20C hotter than it should (which also can explain the crashes).

What kind of numbers you see from CPU and "motherboard" temperatures when the graphics card hits 70C ?
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Sound like overclocking isn't stable or the card is faulty. I had a Gigabyte 6970 and it was faulty.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    okay sorry to reply so late, here is the temperatures that are currently showing up

CPU 30c, Mainboard: 30c harddisk 41c, let me know if you need more info and sorry that i handt mentioned that this is not Overclocked this is core clock