Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    O_o

No DRM? I could just give them a copy.
    I'm not 100% up to speed with the working of DRM, but isn't DRM there to prevent people lending out games etc, or is it just against piracy? Either way, practically all games come with a CD key, which you then need to register, once registered it can't be used again. How would you then lend the game to your friend if he/she can't play it because they have no valid CD key? (Again, legally). I can't think of many single player games any more that don't use some sort of online authentication.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Never understood collecting. It's just more clutter to collect dust. If ya wanna invest, invest in gold, imo!

You can't really use the argument "Well in several years, I can sell it on ebay!" because the only people who'll want to buy these things years down the road are... other collectors. Why didn't they get that stuff now, while it's relevant?
    Okay, you might not understand why people collect things, but that's you. Other people like to collect things, be it stamps, or Collector's Editions of games. Where did any one claim they were collecting them to sell on ebay? Some people collect just to have it. I have 2/4 of the WoW Collector's Editions, I'd love all 4 (soon 5) on my shelf, even if they stand their 'gathering' dust. I also have collector's editions of other games (Warhammer Online, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3, Guild Wars, Rift, TERA). It's nice to have a collection of collectors editions. And about people buying collectors edition when they're no longer relevant, maybe people would like them for their vanity? Collectors Editions often contain things that you don't use ingame, like a soundtrack, or an artbook. These things will last forever, even when the game is no longer being played. Seems you're being very narrow minded. I personally would like all WoW Collector's Editions to have that accomplishment of having all Collector's Edition of WoW. If you think it's better to invest in gold, you do that, I'll stick to collecting Collector Editions.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2012-08-03 at 08:21 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by d3v View Post
    I'm not 100% up to speed with the working of DRM, but isn't DRM there to prevent people lending out games etc, or is it just against piracy? Either way, practically all games come with a CD key, which you then need to register, once registered it can't be used again. How would you then lend the game to your friend if he/she can't play it because they have no valid CD key? (Again, legally). I can't think of many single player games any more that don't use some sort of online authentication.
    The usage of Digital Rights Management solutions is to limit the use of the digital content post the initial sale. Depending on the type of DRM, this can work in different ways - the most advocated use for DRM is of course anti-piracy, but it is just as often used to prevent second-hand sales (as this nets no revenue to the developer and publisher). Some typical DRM solutions include online activation (used for example by Microsoft in their Windows series products), built-in bugs (which would be activated upon suspicion the game is pirated), or always-online restrictions (mostly seen with MMOs, but recently it has been introduced into single-player elements as well, such as Diablo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 (later removed)).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    The usage of Digital Rights Management solutions is to limit the use of the digital content post the initial sale. Depending on the type of DRM, this can work in different ways - the most advocated use for DRM is of course anti-piracy, but it is just as often used to prevent second-hand sales (as this nets no revenue to the developer and publisher). Some typical DRM solutions include online activation (used for example by Microsoft in their Windows series products), built-in bugs (which would be activated upon suspicion the game is pirated), or always-online restrictions (mostly seen with MMOs, but recently it has been introduced into single-player elements as well, such as Diablo 3 and Assassin's Creed 2 (later removed)).
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. It seems most single player only games in the last years have this or some sort of way off stopping you lending the game or reselling it. It's quite controversial though really, I mean once you buy a physical copy of a game (so DVD), don't you own it and should be allowed to re-sell it if you wish? I mean you're allowed to sell a used car, why not a game. I'm not sure how digitally bought games work, from what I've "heard" (so I don't know if this is true), if you buy a game on Steam, you don't actually own a copy of the game, only the right to play it. If anyone could clarify if this is true or not, would be brill!

Quote Originally Posted by Jigain View Post
    And it's interesting to note that in the EU currently the EU high court ruled that publishers cannot prevent people from reselling games and also noted that no form of EULA can prevent you from doing so.

http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/07/le...les-in-eu.html

I'm kinda hoping this starts catching on in other parts of the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Physical order. I'm all about the junk that comes with the CE :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    I suggest you wait for disk and not play for first week. As any new MMO, the first few days will be swarmed with problems because hundread of thousands of people will log in at same time. First week is like this for any MMO. And you could get your disk too this way.
    Yeah i'll do that anyway since i'm gonna be on vacations till end of August.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    And it's interesting to note that in the EU currently the EU high court ruled that publishers cannot prevent people from reselling games and also noted that no form of EULA can prevent you from doing so.

http://www.gamerlaw.co.uk/2012/07/le...les-in-eu.html

I'm kinda hoping this starts catching on in other parts of the world.
    Yeah I remember this being in the news, question is how will you be able to do this with games you've bought 'digitally'? You can't really 'resell' your Steam/Origin/GameFly etc account with the game on it you want to resell, as it most of the time contains other games too.

Yeah I remember this being in the news, question is how will you be able to do this with games you've bought 'digitally'? You can't really 'resell' your Steam/Origin/GameFly etc account with the game on it you want to resell, as it most of the time contains other games too.
    I'm sure someone will figure it out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keldrath View Post
    I'm sure someone will figure it out.
    Question is, since the EU ruling, when will Valve/EA/whoever make the required changes so it is possible? I don't see them doing anything for years, if anything at all.

Deleted
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. It seems most single player only games in the last years have this or some sort of way off stopping you lending the game or reselling it. It's quite controversial though really, I mean once you buy a physical copy of a game (so DVD), don't you own it and should be allowed to re-sell it if you wish? I mean you're allowed to sell a used car, why not a game. I'm not sure how digitally bought games work, from what I've "heard" (so I don't know if this is true), if you buy a game on Steam, you don't actually own a copy of the game, only the right to play it. If anyone could clarify if this is true or not, would be brill!
    It's even more specific than that. If you buy a game on Steam, you've purchased the right to play it as long as you have access to the Steam service. If you ever lose access to the Steam service, whether temporary or permanent, you lose the right to play the games you've purchased. However, it is still unclear whether Steam is allowed to do this or not, and we'll most likely only find out once someone who's been banned from Steam files a lawsuit.

As for selling used cars versus selling used games, very few car salesmen actually stock cars more than one year old. The older the car is, the likelier an issue with it becomes. However, there is no system in place to prevent people from selling their own used cars, and it would be impossible to create one and make it law. Games, on the other hand, still have interest (if to a niche market) several years after release (as an example, I bought XCOM: UFO Defense a few months back, and that game is from the 90s) and more importantly don't degenerate the way a car would. The older a car becomes, the more issues arise with it; but is a game gets older, it doesn't get more buggy over time (apart from compatibility issues with newer operating systems). Thus there is value in keeping the game in stock for those niche players. And even better, there is a restriction in the form of DRM that most of the time prevents users from re-selling their games.

Finally, Steam is one of the sneakiest types of DRM out there.