Deleted

Name reservation - 24 hours?

I've heard that if you create a character and then delete it, that the name of that character will be reserved for you for 24 hours. Can someone confirm this? It would make things a lot easier for me at launch, but I want to be absolutely sure first.

Thanks

I can confirm I've also heard it before. But I don't know if it was directly from ArenaNet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah.. I remember hearing it as well. I think that only applied to names you reserved in GW1.
    Last edited by Terranullis; 2012-08-01 at 09:13 AM.

There was a forum post during the beta about it. It's 24 hrs.

Here's a copy of their response:
    Here's the response:
    In Guild Wars, the period of “suspension” for a name — that is, the time it’s bound to your account and cannot be used by anyone else — is about 24 hours.
    UPDATE: Confirmed with our Excellent Server Team Leader: We will have the same system in Guild Wars 2. There is a 24-hour “cool down” period before a deleted character’s name is generally available. This gives you time to build a new character and still use the same name.
    Ofc, the forum post itself isn't available now.
    Here's the reddit link:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c..._are_reserved/
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2012-08-01 at 09:53 AM.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post

Here's the reddit link:
    This is wonderful news! Thank you SB.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    This is wonderful news! Thank you SB.
    Always a pleasure xD
    Someone's gotta link this stuff with Mif........on holiday.

Deleted
    :O then I don't have to pay for that character makeover later? I just make a character with the name, delete it and then make it again the day after? (when everyone thinks the name is busy)

I mean, its hard to rush in the character customization and the name you really want is being free for you to use :P am I weird thinking this? ^^

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by yoomi View Post
    :O then I don't have to pay for that character makeover later? I just make a character with the name, delete it and then make it again the day after? (when everyone thinks the name is busy)

I mean, its hard to rush in the character customization and the name you really want is being free for you to use :P am I weird thinking this? ^^
    You could do what I did in the first BWE - rush character creation, save the name, delete the character. Nobody but you will be able to use it for 24 hours, so then just go through creation properly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post

Here's the reddit link:

Thanks a lot, that answers my question and will make launch so much easier

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    You could do what I did in the first BWE - rush character creation, save the name, delete the character. Nobody but you will be able to use it for 24 hours, so then just go through creation properly.
    Yess, then that is what will be my plan. Glad I got to know this before launch, and save me some gems for other goodies ;3

Quote Originally Posted by yoomi View Post

Yup
    You can make it 2 minutes after in complete safety knowing no one can take the name...and spend your time recreating it
    It's exactly what I plan to do with my 4 single word characters lol

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 10:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tintomara View Post
    Thanks a lot, that answers my question and will make launch so much easier
    Welcome

Does anyone know the min and max character length of names? This will help my guild to think of names pre-launch. Thanks!

In case anyone doesn't know what this means, it means fill all 5 slots immediately when you first log in the game for release, preferably at midnight and get all of your names reserved, then when you actually want to use that name just delete the character and start the one you want to play and give it that name.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 06:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by djpete View Post
    Does anyone know the min and max character length of names? This will help my guild to think of names pre-launch. Thanks!
    From memory I think it was 12, and I'm pretty sure spaces didn't count toward the character limit.
    But for names with surnames and such you are pretty safe to begin with for the most part. Unless you are trying for Bruce Lee or something like that.

19 including spaces

and the minimum is 4?

and the minimum is 4?
    No idea on that.

Deleted
    and the minimum is 4?
    Minimum is 3.

Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2012-08-01 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    Minimum is 3.

Ahhhh yh ofc. I remember seeing Mif