Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Yo, where the quivers at?

Just talking aesthetically here, what's the deal with no quivers? The lack of 'em kiiiiinnnninda ruins the ranger look for me. I would love to see a toggle-able quiver that matches the different bows in the game, just a visual thing.

Maybe we'll get a patch implementation? Or wishful thinking?

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a cape slot on the character sheet, and right now a engineer can equip a tool kit there that's like a big back pack... I don't see why a quiver couldn't go there; but right now we haven't seen any quivers in game.
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-08-01 at 02:39 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

You can build a ranger without using bows, and you can build a thief/warrior primarily using bows. Not sure how it ruins the ranger specifically for you..

Anyways, it would be pretty alright to have. As long as it was done well. Seeing a character grab an arrow from the quiver every time he goes to take a shot would look unnatural with the speed you can shoot, and if you don't do that then having a quiver is just as pointless as not having one. Either way, a straight up cosmetic quiver that did nothing would be nice for those who want it. May already be in the game.
    Last edited by Delias; 2012-08-01 at 02:40 PM.

I'm glad there's nothing like that.

Think about it. What MMO do you know that actually gets the quivers or shields on the players back correctly?

Armor's change all the time, body sizes are different etc etc, this makes it very hard to get them to sit properly on everyone's back. Aesthetically imo, having no quiver or shield is better than having a quiver on my back that is just hovering a few inches off my back or a shield that's digging halfway into the players body.

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    I'm glad there's nothing like that.

Think about it. What MMO do you know that actually gets the quivers or shields on the players back correctly?

Armor's change all the time, body sizes are different etc etc, this makes it very hard to get them to sit properly on everyone's back. Aesthetically imo, having no quiver or shield is better than having a quiver on my back that is just hovering a few inches off my back or a shield that's digging halfway into the players body.
    Personally, I think quivers look pretty alright in most games. Take Skyrim for example, there is no arrow pulling animation in 3rd person, but the quiver still lends to some more immersion for the character. But that's why I'm saying, make it toggle-able!

You have to get a mod for even Skyrim to do it correctly.
    But meh really...there's no scabbard for a sword...no arm bracers for a shield. These things just don't work well in games.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyharris View Post
    Personally, I think quivers look pretty alright in most games. Take Skyrim for example, there is no arrow pulling animation in 3rd person, but the quiver still lends to some more immersion for the character. But that's why I'm saying, make it toggle-able!
    There's a reason I said "What MMO"

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rather have my bow on my back ..SO AWESUM YOUKNOW

There's a reason I said "What MMO"
    Okay, looks fine to me in WoW (BLASPHEMY!). Even if it is a bit floaty, that doesn't really bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyharris View Post
    Okay, looks fine to me in WoW (BLASPHEMY!). Even if it is a bit floaty, that doesn't really bother me.
    Well, then apparently you don't care about aesthetics as much as you claimed.

Having a quiver float off your back not touching nothing but air or a shield digging a foot into your body is not my idea if "pretty"
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-01 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, then apparently you don't care about aesthetics as much as you claimed.

Having a quiver float off your back not touching nothing but air or a shield digging a foot into your body is not my idea if "pretty"
    I actually have a similar opinion as the OP. I wouldn't say it ruins the ranger....but damn is it annoying just watching characters reach back and pull arrows from nowhere. It's partly aesthetics, but also partly immersion. The floaty quiver in WoW wasn't great or even good, but at least there was a quiver there. If the arrows are just gonna be conjured, at least give them a little smoke or sparklies or something.

Little things, but it's all the details that make up the bigger picture.

And yes, strongly agreed about the crazy magnetism that seems to afflict MMO gear. Don't even need multiple textures, just, like, a couple'a pixels worth of rope/string right above the armor to show that the gear is, in fact, connected to something (barring exceptions where magnetism/floaty magic are supposed to be involved, of course). Wouldn't be hard at all.

Things that would be lovely for post-launch...

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

Deleted
    In true Guild Wars fashion, the arrows are skillfully fletched on their way to the bow.

10+ Year Old Account
    My only real complaint is that a sheathed Shield floats off my character's back, rather than being properly strapped to it. Wondering if a sheathed longbow does the same thing.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I dont see why they couldnt add an item that would go in the back slot that had the visual appearance of a quiver. The only thing in beta that the slot was used for was the engie backpack as far as I know. No stats it was pure cosmetic. Asumeing they could make the art work out decent it could be an option for those that want to have it visable on their back.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    You can build a ranger without using bows, and you can build a thief/warrior primarily using bows. Not sure how it ruins the ranger specifically for you..

Anyways, it would be pretty alright to have. As long as it was done well. Seeing a character grab an arrow from the quiver every time he goes to take a shot would look unnatural with the speed you can shoot, and if you don't do that then having a quiver is just as pointless as not having one. Either way, a straight up cosmetic quiver that did nothing would be nice for those who want it. May already be in the game.
    The OP clearly stated that it kinda ruins the aesthetics of the class for him/her, so not sure what you're getting at in the first part of your comment.

I'd be okay with them as a cosmetic thing. What bugs me is that despite not having a quiver my ranger still reaches and pretends to grab an arrow from his back. We still have rangers reaching behind to pull an arrow for every new bow skill. Looks odd without quivers, but i guess i could live with it. Rather just have magical arrows or something lol
    Last edited by sergel02; 2012-08-02 at 12:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post

lol maybe he plays a warrior as a ranger and wants a damn quiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    Plz show me your spreadsheets.
    5. You think critting for 5k is awesome, I normal hit for 7.4k with autoattacks.
    Some people are too pro.

There should be quivers for people using bows. That is all there is to be said on this subject. I recommend you suggest it on their forums, maybe they're already working on it.

Anyone defending ArenaNet and saying there should not be quivers in game are just over-protective gw2 fans thinking you're here to steal their game from them. Ignore them. Make the suggestion to the devs.

/thread

Deleted
    I think the 'Rather no quiver than magical floating quiver of infinite ammunition' argument is valid, to be honest. I think there should be a quiver but it should be optional, if you don't want to show it then you don't have to and I don't think animations should be based around it, because they make the attack cycle look rushed and crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't say it bothered me, i didn't even notice the lack of a quiver tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    There should be quivers for people using bows. That is all there is to be said on this subject. I recommend you suggest it on their forums, maybe they're already working on it.

Anyone defending ArenaNet and saying there should not be quivers in game are just over-protective gw2 fans thinking you're here to steal their game from them. Ignore them. Make the suggestion to the devs.

/thread
    Thank you for your detailed and factual statement.

Everyone, stop what you're doing and listen to this guy. He's the knower of all knowingnessism.