Thread: new SDD - part2

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

new SDD - part2

after a while, i decided in the end to format my SSD and start everything from scratch. Just installed OS and AV, firefox, and copied WoW client on it.

BSOD issues all over the place. the worst part is that now they are all different errors, but all of them are tied to the ntoskrnl.exe process (which sounds not that good, am i right?).

Don't know at this point if it's an hardware fault, i changed a third video driver and still the BSOD appear. Now i have limited to the bone the software part. Need some help at this point and i'm thinking to return the SSD if possible (or i can install OS in one HDD again and use the SSD for some programs - it's wasted, but better than nothing).
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

What kind of SSD is it? Have you updated your bios? Have you updated the firmware of the SSD? Are you running any form of overclocking? Have you tried running the SSD on another SATA port?
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-31 at 09:59 AM.

did you install the OS on the SSD with ONLY the SSD plugged in? was it in the SATA0 port? is your BIOS set to run in ACHI mode when you installed your SSD?

also what SSD do you have?

also dont update your BIOS unless you REALLY have too, if it bricks it will render your motherboard board useless

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    after a while, i decided in the end to format my SSD and start everything from scratch. Just installed OS and AV, firefox, and copied WoW client on it.

BSOD issues all over the place. the worst part is that now they are all different errors, but all of them are tied to the ntoskrnl.exe process (which sounds not that good, am i right?).

Don't know at this point if it's an hardware fault, i changed a third video driver and still the BSOD appear. Now i have limited to the bone the software part. Need some help at this point and i'm thinking to return the SSD if possible (or i can install OS in one HDD again and use the SSD for some programs - it's wasted, but better than nothing).
    This doesn't sound like an SSD issue if im honest.
    This sounds alot more like something that happens with a bad overclock, drivers or memory.

Generally if an SSD is at fault it's a F4 error.

How about you start off telling us what specs you have and why you decided to format etc.

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    What kind of SSD is it? Have you updated your bios? Have you updated the firmware of the SSD? Are you running any form of overclocking? Have you tried running the SSD on another SATA port?
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaceDuck View Post
    did you install the OS on the SSD with ONLY the SSD plugged in? was it in the SATA0 port? is your BIOS set to run in ACHI mode when you installed your SSD?
    it's samsung 830 series 128GB - its firmware was already the last one available when i bought it (and still is).
    My specs are these:
    - ASUS P7P55D motherboard
    - 12gb ram (2x2gb + 2x4gb)
    - ex-primary disk is a WD 250gb i don't remeber the model now unfortunately
    - secondary disk is a 1tb WD caviar black
    - video card is an inno3d nvidia GTX470
    - later i added the SSD samsung 830 series 128gb
    I don't use overclocks or anything else, the performances are more than fine with this (i can handle all the games i need).

BSODs started a week ago more or less, and they were all related to a video driver issue. I tried to clean up drivers and all, but the problem wasn't solved. So i decided to go straight to the root and wiped the SSD, reinstalling the OS. This time, BSODs started after a couple of hours related to the process above.

Tbh, i didn't try to swap the disk on the SATA0 port or to unplug all the other disks - also i didn't chek the BIOS mode (and tbh again, i don't now what you're talkign about :P).

Hope these details help. I'm happy anyway that this shouldn't be an hardware issue Thanks for helping - any other sugestion is welcome.

15+ Year Old Account
    it's samsung 830 series 128GB - its firmware was already the last one available when i bought it (and still is).
    My specs are these:
    - ASUS P7P55D motherboard
    - 12gb ram (2x2gb + 2x4gb)
    - ex-primary disk is a WD 250gb i don't remeber the model now unfortunately
    - secondary disk is a 1tb WD caviar black
    - video card is an inno3d nvidia GTX470
    - later i added the SSD samsung 830 series 128gb
    I don't use overclocks or anything else, the performances are more than fine with this (i can handle all the games i need).

BSODs started a week ago more or less, and they were all related to a video driver issue. I tried to clean up drivers and all, but the problem wasn't solved. So i decided to go straight to the root and wiped the SSD, reinstalling the OS. This time, BSODs started after a couple of hours related to the process above.

Tbh, i didn't try to swap the disk on the SATA0 port or to unplug all the other disks - also i didn't chek the BIOS mode (and tbh again, i don't now what you're talkign about :P).

Hope these details help. I'm happy anyway that this shouldn't be an hardware issue Thanks for helping - any other sugestion is welcome.
    Well first off if your issues were related to video driver issues, combined with the fact that the GTX470 (and GTX480) were EXTREMELY hot and loud, your first order of business should be here (logical conclusion right there).
    Second if you "decided to go straight to the root and wiped the SSD" then that would indicate the SSD being the issue at hand, which by yet again simple logic close to eliminates that possibility, if you state such a thing people will assume that you already KNOW what the issue is rather then you actually asking wtf it really is, next time you want to say such a thing you state something along the lines of "I decided to start over again with a clean slate" or something along those lines, not what you chose.

No-one ever said that your issue isn't hardware related, either that or you're ignoring it praying for the issue to go away, but the more specs you handed out here aswell as history and issues i would venture a guess to tell you that your GFX card is the problem.

Here's an easy test for you to determine if your graphics card is busted (i seriously do not know WHY you suspect the SSD in this case, as there is 0 logical evidence to support that theory, combining it with the fact of you only now stating you had BSoDs with graphic driver errors...), download Furmark, park it on standard testing mode, full screen your resolution.
    If it crashes within 5 - 10 minutes or because if temps are too high (you'll see it there) you'll know.

Also when the BSoD does happen, detail it! I.e. either use your eyes and remember the data or download Bluescreenviewer and see then.
    Last edited by Evildeffy; 2012-07-31 at 04:08 PM.

Deleted
    The Event Viewer should also be able to provide the information? (error message)

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Well first off if your issues were related to video driver issues, combined with the fact that the GTX470 (and GTX480) were EXTREMELY hot and loud, your first order of business should be here (logical conclusion right there).

Also when the BSoD does happen, detail it! I.e. either use your eyes and remember the data or download Bluescreenviewer and see then.
    Quoting only the part i can answer now (i had to go to work short after i posted, so i don't have all the data at hand).

First issues were caused by a corrupted video driver, i followed a procedure posted by a user i don't remember (sorry pal) and everything went fine for a while, then BSODs started again; the fact is that a) the BSODs were caused by another process (the ntoskrnl.exe i have stated before) and b) my GPU has never been over 50°C nor its noisy, so i started to exclude GPU issues. Anyway a check won't be bad, just to be sure.

Latest BSODs were all about this process, ntoskrnl.exe, and since the issues started with the SSD, i simply started to think they were realted to the SSD and not to the other hw i'm using since i never had a problem of this kind before. I'm using BlueScreenViewer by a long time tbh.

EDIT: i'm not praying the gods for making the bad go away, just hope it's not an hardware issue because it's very annoying and i don't have money to spend to replace parts atm

Last, i really cannot understand if you're treating me like a spoiled kid who has bought the newest things with his father's credit card really, i need better reading skills :P
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2012-07-31 at 05:27 PM.

have you tried testing the ram for errors?

i would use memtest86

edit:

if the BSOD goes away too quickly turn off automatic restarting

click start ; right click computer and select properties / click advanced system settings / click advanced tab / click startup and recovery - untick automaticaly restart. press ok.

the bsod will then hold if/when it happens
    Last edited by Tanthalus; 2012-07-31 at 07:10 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quoting only the part i can answer now (i had to go to work short after i posted, so i don't have all the data at hand).

First issues were caused by a corrupted video driver, i followed a procedure posted by a user i don't remember (sorry pal) and everything went fine for a while, then BSODs started again; the fact is that a) the BSODs were caused by another process (the ntoskrnl.exe i have stated before) and b) my GPU has never been over 50°C nor its noisy, so i started to exclude GPU issues. Anyway a check won't be bad, just to be sure.
    Just because temperatures of a certain card do not reach 50 degrees C or haven't been noisy does not mean the issue isn't that item.
    Also i've yet to see a GTX470 that has never been over 50 degrees C, so either yours is watercooled or it's the golden GTX470 of the century.
    Regardless, ntoskrnl.exe can still signify hardware without issue, and is still tied to nVidia crashes because AMD cards when dying have less of a tendency to cause BSoDs, granted that doesn't mean that BSoD is tied specifically to your graphics card, but due to your history it is a bad idea to exclude it.

Latest BSODs were all about this process, ntoskrnl.exe, and since the issues started with the SSD, i simply started to think they were realted to the SSD and not to the other hw i'm using since i never had a problem of this kind before. I'm using BlueScreenViewer by a long time tbh.
    Well if you're using BluescreenViewer... mind sharing some screenshots so we can help?

EDIT: i'm not praying the gods for making the bad go away, just hope it's not an hardware issue because it's very annoying and i don't have money to spend to replace parts atm

Last, i really cannot understand if you're treating me like a spoiled kid who has bought the newest things with his father's credit card really, i need better reading skills :P
    I treat everyone that way, just who i am... but just to approach that front of reading skillz to pay the billz, yes you do!

Atm i'm at work again, so no screens - but the last bsod (and if my memory doesn't trick me) most of the others are for a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA. googling some time most of the answers were about RAM faults. As soon as i return home, i will get some images/files on.

run memtest86 when you get back

yeah, i'm going to do that.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 08:44 PM ----------

link to the last bluescreen provided, sorry being late for this http://i.imgur.com/rfUtd.png

Can you try another format and clean install or use a different Windows XP or Win 7 version/disc (i'm assuming you're using xp or win 7).

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah, i'm going to do that.

---------- Post added 2012-08-01 at 08:44 PM ----------

link to the last bluescreen provided, sorry being late for this http://i.imgur.com/rfUtd.png
    So many different possibilities of errors in this 1 it's not going to be tracked like this.

Download Hiren's BootCD, run memtest86+ for at least 3 - 5 full passes, if at any time it presents red bars with errors, even if it's just one, chances are your memory is busted, however memtest86+ doesn't guarantee that it really is your memory, it could also be your CPU's IMC which may be degrading.

Also do a physical inspection on both your graphics card and motherboard, check for any puffed/leaking capacitors.

Even though 0x00000050 is generally referenced as an invalid memory reference, the cause can be anything from a simple programme to hardware failure.

HOWEVER: I have found several occassions of examples where this exact error was caused by yet again nVidia graphic cards, granted this was on the GTX2XX series, but i've heard of others with the same issues across the entirety of the GTX line.

Best way to test this is to find something that can reliably make you BSoD and borrow a graphics card from someone and use that to see if you can cause the BSoD to happen again.

tbh im leaning towards faulty ram so throwing memtest or even the built in ram tester should show something - then its fault finding the failing stick

I ran the memtest one ram stick at a time, 2 of them were fine, 1 presented 1 oerror only one time, the 4th just gave me more than 20k errors before 20% and then memtest freezed. So i'm now pretty sure of what is the problem

I'm running the pc from this morning with only the ram that didn't gave me errors and it's working.

Apart the clearly busted one, there is any chance that the one that gave me only 1 error is fine? So i know if i have to replace only one or both.

Another question: anyone know a good benchmark tool or check tool for vcard memory? I'm going to check also that to be completely sure.

I think OCCT is able to test vRAM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I ran the memtest one ram stick at a time, 2 of them were fine, 1 presented 1 oerror only one time, the 4th just gave me more than 20k errors before 20% and then memtest freezed. So i'm now pretty sure of what is the problem

I'm running the pc from this morning with only the ram that didn't gave me errors and it's working.

Apart the clearly busted one, there is any chance that the one that gave me only 1 error is fine? So i know if i have to replace only one or both.

Another question: anyone know a good benchmark tool or check tool for vcard memory? I'm going to check also that to be completely sure.
    Busted is busted mate, 1 error or 20k, doesn't matter.

What you need to do to make sure the sticks are the issue is trying that stick alone in multiple slots to see if the bank itself isn't defective.

Also the other sticks do not need to be defective if they have different V requirements then the other sticks.
    Say you have 2 * 1.65V and 2 * 1.5V sticks @ 1333MHz, and you've been running 1.5V all the time, then the Memtest may give errors on the 2 * 1.65V RAM due to the fact that it's not receiving enough V to operate properly.

what make and spec ram is it?