Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

could WoW learn from D3?

as far as abilities go, i really appreciate the fewer abilities (while still having a nice amount to choose from) we have on our action bar as opposed to the cluster fuck of abilities and macros that we have in WoW. kind of a breath of fresh air.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

These are not the same genres of games. No, I hope it does not learn from a hack and slash dungeon crawler. In turn, I wish D3 hadn't taken as much as it did from WoW, or just the social networking phenomenon that is controlling peoples lives.
    Intel i7 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Corsair H70 | SLI GTX580 @ 850 Core | OCZ Vertex 2 90GB (Boot)
    G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB RAM @ 1800mhz 8-9-8-24

Avid game lover and Twitch streamer @ twitch.tv/rendhammerTV

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Two different games, Two difference genres as Rend has stated

No

10+ Year Old Account
    No vote here. At least for DH there are only a few viable inferno builds so if anything D3 suffers from a severe lack of abilities because 90% of them suck. Plus you can't even "respec" on the fly cause of the stupid NV mechanic.
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clusterfuck of bars and macros? I don't know what you're doing then because the most number of macros I have needed to use for any fight was only 4. D3 style abilities would be very boring in WoW and VERY VERY limiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    Well, WoW did learn something good from D3.
    Account wide Achievements.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I the reason I like D3 is because it's 'not' WoW. Don't get me wrong, I love WoW, but I don't want every game to have the same feel as WoW. It's nice to play a game without the same feel of another sometimes.
    I cried alone every single night. It felt like every day that passed here stole another piece of my real life away. After i cried, I’d go and fight as hard as I could. My only thought was winning, moving forward, and getting stronger. — Asuna Yuuki

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont treat all your customers like they are bad/evil. I remember hearing when they justified the on line all the time. that's basicly saying, ok we know there are bad people out there so we are going to try all of you equal. = All of you are bad people.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

10+ Year Old Account
    No.

D3 is far too different than WoW.
    Putin khuliyo

No. Different genres are different. Also D3 is awful.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Clusterfuck of bars and macros? I don't know what you're doing then because the most number of macros I have needed to use for any fight was only 4. D3 style abilities would be very boring in WoW and VERY VERY limiting.
    I can see you didn't pvp and definitely not at a glad level. Hell, even a duelist level.

Back on topic, could WoW have benefited from a skill system like Guild Wars?(you know where the d3 system was taken from). Yeah, I think it could. WoW was a much better game in vanilla when there was true class diversity and less abilities overall.

Less abilities can equate to more depth. More is not always better and in WoW's case can be too much.
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-08-03 at 01:04 AM.

ROFL yes please, please Blizzard make WoW like D3 I wanna watch the massive amounts of QQ on the forums go off the charts. Could you imagine the crying from the WoW players if they farmed level 90 raids for months and all they got was crappy level 70 loot? "Well we just finished that new MoP raid and we had 30 total drops of which only 2 were usable, the rest were level 58 blues". Oh man it would be epic.

The only thing WoW could learn from D3 is what NOT to do, frankly.

I think Blizzard is constantly tuning their games and you could always see a certain influence from one game to another.

The question marks above the heads in WOW came from Diablo and WC series.

More recently we saw an adaptation from the talent points setting in MoP that almost came directly from the skills setting choices in D3 (no longer trees structures).

I think there are a LOT of nice D3 things to be added in their new MMORPG.

Most important ones:

1. Having no longer one single realm to log in and regroup every player per region.

Diablo wil NEVER have population problems because all players are regrouped on one server (cluster). If it would have launched with all those small 3K player servers, it would be dreadful to keep things going. Now everyone is regrouped constantly and playing on one giant AH.

2. The Gold / RMAH is brilliant. At least now your Gold "means" something in real value. By adding some (perhaps lesser) loot on BOE you can drive a complete new economy. D3 is even too limited to show the real power of a player driven economy. LARGE choices in professions, mats, BOE loot, Pets, farming goods would be more interesting if they were mixed in a Gold/RMAH structure.

The only problem you'll have is that you always will need to wade out the excesses. But the sheer potential is awesome for players wanting a player driven economy.

3. The easy grouping tools and cross server play are already in WOW but could be further enhanced. You wait less than 5 seconds to form a group in D3. No one will want to go back to hourly long waiting times (but that's back to point 1 again).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    The only thing WoW could learn from D3 is what NOT to do, frankly.
    Yea. I'd rather they keep the arpg out of the mmo. They certainly didn't want to keep the mmo out of the arpg and it didn't serve them all that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrahasis View Post
    Yea. I'd rather they keep the arpg out of the mmo. They certainly didn't want to keep the mmo out of the arpg and it didn't serve them all that well.
    You do realize the diablo 3 skill system is from an MMORPG right?

Why is everything so close minded and poorly focused on forums?

"Hey do you like burgers?"
    "Man I went to McDonalds and they totally botched my order up. I got a chicken sandwich with MAYO, I hate mayo. To make matters worse I ordered a double cheeseburger, they didn't even give me the right protein. I also asked for no dehydrated onions because they are gross, but I'm sure they would have put them on it. Who wants re-hydrated onions out of a box?"
    "Sigh"
    "Yea tell me about it, my fries were cold too!"
    "Fuck man, I just wanted to have a bromance and take you out for a burger. Never mind though."
    Last edited by Riptide; 2012-08-03 at 07:14 AM.

Having to come up with 40 different key binds for WoW is a bit annoying. It's like playing a piano.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    You do realize the diablo 3 skill system is from an MMORPG right?

Why is everything so close minded and poorly focused on forums?

"Hey do you like burgers?"
    "Man I went to McDonalds and they totally botched my order up. I got a chicken sandwich with MAYO, I hate mayo. To make matters worse I ordered a double cheeseburger, they didn't even give me the right protein. I also asked for no dehydrated onions because they are gross, but I'm sure they would have put them on it. Who wants re-hydrated onions out of a box?"
    "Sigh"
    "Yea tell me about it, my fries were cold too!"
    "Fuck man, I just wanted to have a bromance and take you out for a burger. Never mind though."
    Did I say anything about the skill system?

why should a rather good game learn from fail game of 2012 ?
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Quote Originally Posted by Koji2k11 View Post
    why should a rather good game learn from fail game of 2012 ?
    Just a friendly reminder fromt he mod team. If you come into a thread just to leave an uncontructive remark about how much you dislike a game that is currently discussed without adding anything to the topic except that hurrdurr note chances are you will receive an infraction for it and be suspended from posting.

And no, this message wasn't just meant for Koji2k11 personally, just that the post was a wonderful example of how not to post.