Page 16 of 37 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    there is a skill increase in going from a WoW model MMO to GW2 and it's an objective one. easiest way to see if someone is skills is just by how often they get downed and defeated. the biggest reasons for this are that combat is more mobile, positional awareness and exploitation is key to success, the ability to synergize skills with others or on your own, skills can be cast on the move, using the environment to your advantage and having to actively use dodging and other defensive skills at the correct time.
    It's really not as hard as you make it sound. Most people who have played any sort of computer/console game will pick this up fine (even if you only played hello kitty island adventures, you'll still be fine).

I played for the last few beta weekends and got a little bored. Not my cup of tea but it will be fun for lots of other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Benea View Post
    It's really not as hard as you make it sound. Most people who have played any sort of computer/console game will pick this up fine (even if you only played hello kitty island adventures, you'll still be fine).

I played for the last few beta weekends and got a little bored. Not my cup of tea but it will be fun for lots of other people.
    People who have played a variety of games will be just fine. As you said, it isn't that hard to pick up. I think the people with the most difficulty (all relative in this context) will be those that have only played one style of game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snow White View Post
    Just because gw2's pve content it's on a smaller scale (5 man groups) it's some how insufficient?

Anyway wow's raiding can hardly be defined as progressive these days, since you can literally skip right to the last raid of the xpac.
    Lol, thats the stupid one comment. You can skip, but still it takes weeks for top guilds to clear heroic. GW2 offers only tears to pve players. Zerg from respawn point in dungeons? OMG, its 2012 out there! Damn shame to even call this "pve"!

Constructive criticism is fine in these forums. Unfortunately this isn't really constructive at all. Infracted. -Edge
    Last edited by Edge-; 2012-08-05 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    if dungeons were on par, difficulty and rewards-wise to raids, then no one would EVER do raids.
    While I'm going to neglect to share my opinion as to the rest of the discussion, as I'm kinda sick of talking to people who are just as stubborn and opininated as me (if not more), this particular statement is especially true.

It didn't happen immediately, and in many ways the process is still happening (will NOT be surprised at all if Blizz ever stops supporting 25-man content like they did with 40-man), but as soon as loot became shared between 10 and 25-man difficulties, 10-man-only raiding became extremely popular - a LOT more 10-man guilds sprung up among people who previously were not raiding, and a LOT of 25-man guilds broke up because they could no longer maintain an adequate roster size (not all of them down-scaled to 10-man, some of them just plain broke up, every member going separate ways).

I did a lot of 25-man raiding in my day, and in what experiences I did have raiding 10-man (oftentimes we'd run the raid on 10-man first just to crank out the progression quicker for faster gear - not because the fights themselves were easier, but because it's easier to organize 10 skilled people than 25 people spread all over the spectrum), I felt more "in tune" with my raid, and would even dare to say I had more fun. The challenge was still there, but I was actually enjoying playing with those 9-13 people because, we actually coordinated well.

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 02:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
    but still it takes weeks for top guilds to clear heroic
    The only top guilds worth mentioning clear Heroic content extremely fast. I think it took only two weeks for T13 (and ONLY because of the fact that you can't do Normal and Heroic in the same week), but I can't remember. It was certainly less than a month.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Just to clarify, when we talk about WoW PvE we are talking about raids correct?
    Good question. I want to clarify that I was in fact referring to entire PvE model of GW2. GW2 model is world-centric. The world will live on with or without you and most if not all changes you make to the world will be reverted almost instantly as the pendulum of events swings the other way or resets for next wave of players. WoW model is player-centric. Player's actions permanently shape the way he will perceive the world. Once you clear content that changes the world, the world is permanently changed for you.

Then there's the instances, which are based on organized, tightly choreographed team play in WoW. This is in direct conflict with chaotic instances of GW2, where focus is on being able to somehow control the chaos to the extent where you can complete content. Perhaps the best example of this is dying model. In WoW, a death of a player is generally a large failure for the group. In GW2, deaths are actually so common, we have two separate death states, both of which players can recover from and continue on fighting the encounter.

The models are simply so different, they're very unlikely to appeal to same crowd. Obviously IMHO. There will be fringe cases like myself who can enjoy both, but I suspect I'm in minority on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    The only top guilds worth mentioning clear Heroic content extremely fast. I think it took only two weeks for T13 (and ONLY because of the fact that you can't do Normal and Heroic in the same week), but I can't remember. It was certainly less than a month.
    2 weeks for tops means about 4--6 months for average guilds with nerfs included. 300+ tries only for spine...

10+ Year Old Account
    2 weeks for tops means about 4--6 months for average guilds with nerfs included. 300+ tries only for spine...
    Sounds about standard. Think the guild I abandoned took about 6 months to finally clean house in Heroic. I didn't want to go through that for a third tier.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

M'uru says hi.

Personally, I am amused at this comparison of GW2 to WoW.

GW2 is no more like WoW or Rift (which is my favourite "go back to" MMO) than Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim are an MMO.

My personal perception of GW2 from the videos I have watched is that it is like a single player RPG that have had MMO elements added onto it - with PvP added for good measure. Hopefully the PvP is good.

If the game does not have 25 or 20-man end-game raiding and people are only to rely on Dynamic Events, I fail to see how it is a more than a lesser version of Rift - ie Rifts without the Raiding or a lesser WoW - no raiding, but with World bosses.

That said, I will still buy GW2, as it looks fun - a lot of fun - but to say it will compete with the dominant MMO's? I personally doubt it. I fail to see how it will pack more PvE than the replay value in actual gameplay hours of something like Skyrim. The PvP should add some replayability if properly implemented in a ladder system, of course. A non-hardcore guy like me, however, I see good value in the purchase.

Hardcore (the real "no-life" guys) MMO players are going to probably exhaust all the PvE content in a matter of weeks, imo.
    Last edited by kondura; 2012-08-05 at 07:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    So people cant have different opinions?

This game is pretty awful. I pre-purchased from anet, played 2 beta weekends, then asked for, and received a refund. Some people may love it, but to me it was a less polished version of WoW.

Hell even a less polished version of Rift, which itself is a less polished version of WoW.

Happy gaming to you fans tho

Lol, i rarely post here, and rarely look at the GW2 forums b/c myself like you canceled my pre-order, almost exclusively because of the combat system in the game, i actually loved the graphical look, it far and away blows WoW out of the water, especially since after nearly a year of not playing it, recently came back on a scroll of resurrection, to realize just how absolutely dreadful WoW looks even on Max settings, i honestly forgot how blocky everything is.

Now i'm not gonna sit here and talk to you how AMAZING GW2 graphics are, but they are solid across the board, RIFT is still far and away the best graphical MMO right now, problem is the color palette (which is essentially grey), makes the graphics seem worse than they actually are, very dull tones and colors etc. As far as polish is concerned, you played beta, so that's unfair to compare just yet, and remember this is from someone who will not be playing the game so i'm not exactly a GW2 Fanboy in any sense lol. If you're not gonna play a game it should be because of core mechanics, systems etc, like i mentioned the combat, it being attached to a weapon absolutely killed my experience, especially since rather than letting you choose 1 hand mace = DPS or 2 hand sword = healing, w/e the case may be, i hated that the weapons had pre determined ability sets, wrong move by Anet IMHO, but even that might not of been enough to satisfy me, lack of abilities among other things also bothered me.

Lastly to address your Rift is a less polished version of WoW statement, as if your foot wasn't already far into your mouth, it is now completely submerged within it. I'm assuming this was just another way people like yourself insinuate RIFT is a "Wow clone" because it's the same genre, but its just a less polished version? The leveling process sure is a bit tedious, but sorry the endgame absolutely destroys WoW, including their raiding, which ironically is reminiscent of BC WoW (You know, before Activision bought blizzard and destroyed it?)

- Just saying

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by P1sky View Post
    Lastly to address your Rift is a less polished version of WoW statement, as if your foot wasn't already far into your mouth, it is now completely submerged within it. I'm assuming this was just another way people like yourself insinuate RIFT is a "Wow clone" because it's the same genre, but its just a less polished version? The leveling process sure is a bit tedious, but sorry the endgame absolutely destroys WoW, including their raiding, which ironically is reminiscent of BC WoW (You know, before Activision bought blizzard and destroyed it?)
    People say it's a WoW clone not because it's the same genre, but because the gameplay model is exactly the same. The fact that you mentioned raiding kinda... well, you get the idea. Can't really comment on how good or bad the quality of said gameplay is, as I have no interest in playing yet another game that focuses on raiding, but that doesn't mean it's not the same gameplay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kondura View Post

GW2 is no more like WoW or Rift (which is my favourite "go back to" MMO) than Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim are an MMO.

My personal perception of GW2 from the videos I have watched is that it is like a single player RPG that have had MMO elements added onto it - with PvP added for good measure. Hopefully the PvP is good.

If the game does not have 25 or 20-man end-game raiding and people are only to rely on Dynamic Events, I fail to see how it is a more than a lesser version of Rift - ie Rifts without the Raiding or a lesser WoW - no raiding, but with World bosses.

That said, I will still buy GW2, as it looks fun - a lot of fun - but to say it will compete with the dominant MMO's? I personally doubt it. I fail to see how it will pack more PvE than the replay value in actual gameplay hours of something like Skyrim. The PvP should add some replayability if properly implemented in a ladder system, of course. A non-hardcore guy like me, however, I see good value in the purchase.

Hardcore (the real "no-life" guys) MMO players are going to probably exhaust all the PvE content in a matter of weeks, imo.
    and your post started off so well.....then went downhill so rapidly.

Its not a lesser version of Rift, its a different game entirely.

Why does lack of raids not make it an MMO? thats a EQ model, its not the only model.

Is Eve not an MMO? as it has no raids?

GW2 is a fully fledged MMO (moreso than most currently out there to be honest with all its features) but it chooses to focus on a differnt goal...that of fun for its own sake, instead of "progression raiding". That means its different, not better not worse, just different.

Its the MMO I've been waiting for, I got into MMOs for the vast persistent world, the sense of exploration, the feeling I could go anywhere and do my own thing...and thats been lost over the years. GW2 is the first time I've felt like its come back, and thats the audience that Anet are after. Not the hardcore Raiders, who are quite frankly pretty toxic to MMO communities from my experience (and yes I was once one of them, but I like to think I kept the elitist entitlement under check).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kondura View Post

My personal perception of GW2 from the videos I have watched is that it is like a single player RPG that have had MMO elements added onto it - with PvP added for good measure. Hopefully the PvP is good..
    No really, just not true in the slightest. Its actually built to make people play together, you see people doing a quest go join them, its as much if not more an MMO than any other. Even I, in my wow fanboi blinkered view understand the merit of what Anet are doing in regards to playing with other people. This is such a strange naive comment. I do agree that real no lifers will exhaust content quickly but I think those kinds of people will be flittering between wow and GW2, im sure there will be some true die hard GW2 fans who could be considered no lifers but I think compared to wow those numbers will be small.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    People say it's a WoW clone not because it's the same genre, but because the gameplay model is exactly the same. The fact that you mentioned raiding kinda... well, you get the idea. Can't really comment on how good or bad the quality of said gameplay is, as I have no interest in playing yet another game that focuses on raiding, but that doesn't mean it's not the same gameplay.
    then wow is an EQ clone....wow did not invent raiding you know.

Rift has the most diverse and polished "endgame" of any of the raiding MMOs.

GW2 is set up differently to cater to a different audience, those that dont want instanced endgame, but want a dynamic active world to explore and enjoy.
    Nothing is wrong with either, but both are MMOs, both are viable.

The suggestion that an MMO needs raiding to be a proper MMO is pretty absurd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tlacoatl View Post

GW2 is set up differently to cater to a different audience, those that dont want instanced endgame, but want a dynamic active world to explore and enjoy.

EQ clone comment, Noone refutes that, people say wow clone because its the biggest mmo, its the one they know best, so they say wow clone.

Rift comment is entirely subjective and irrelevant really.

As to non instanced, not true at all, one of the 'big' endgame is dungeons and the challenges they give and those sure are instanced. As is the competitive end game pvp like sPvP.

The last comment is obviously true, no mmo needs raiding.

I agree. I would argue Pve content is among the less important things in an MMO. Whats really important is the game embracing mass play. Getting people together in one area and working together. Thing is, GW2's entire design is built to cater to this. Another important thing to make a lasting MMO is immersible qualities, or "fluff". Small things that people can do, collect, beat, etc. Yet again, GW2 has more of this than any other MMO.

Those are the main reasons I think GW2 will find a moderate amount of success, perhaps more than any MMO that has been released in the last five or so years.
    Last edited by Dodrin; 2012-08-05 at 08:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I agree with this.... And I'd say Rift is so ridiculously polished endgame wise that it makes me, someone who despises that sort of endgame, actually -want- to go play it lol... Some of the stuff they do is just so cool.... Just look up the water dragon fight (forgot his name fencers should know!!) then they were talking about a boat captain who is so intone with the ship that you need to destroy her ship to kill her, and just them talking about that fight got me all excited for the vids xD
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    EQ clone comment, Noone refutes that, people say wow clone because its the biggest mmo, its the one they know best, so they say wow clone.

Rift comment is entirely subjective and irrelevant really.

As to non instanced, not true at all, one of the 'big' endgame is dungeons and the challenges they give and those sure are instanced. As is the competitive end game pvp like sPvP.

The last comment is obviously true, no mmo needs raiding.
    yeah, thanks. dont need the critique of my comments thanks.

I'm quite well aware of what is subjective or not, as are most people.

And yes, my comment about instanced content is true, its in the context of raiding, and should be read as such,
    Last edited by mmoc4e3ce29075; 2012-08-05 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, thanks. dont need the critique of my comments thanks.

I'm quite well aware of what is subjective or not, as are most people.

And yes, my comment about instanced content is true, its in the context of raiding, and should be read as such,
    Then maybe word it that way im not telepathic, and apologies for responding to your comment, i figured because you were responding to someone else's comment and critiquing it we all were allowed my mistake, double standards and all that.

when you say that this game is not geared towards those who want instanced content and want a living open world it just doesnt sound right when half the end game is instanced, that was all i was trying to say. I myself want to run dungeon after dungeon, I doubt I'd find myself wandering around looking for puzzle quests or dynamic events. But then thats just me, feel free to critique my post.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2012-08-05 at 08:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    when you say that this game is not geared towards those who want instanced content and want a living open world it just doesnt sound right when half the end game is instanced, that was all i was trying to say.
    Hi Drayko,
    I didn't know the underlined/bold part of your statement. How are you measuring end game content? I feel like I am missing info Thanks