Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

SSD feels sluggish.

Hey,

So I just installed my SSD and installed some of my programs + games but it still feels just as slow as my old HDD. Windows still takes a while to boot and game load times (i.e. WoW) aren't much faster. The only thing I've moved off my SDD is the Windows "users" files and saved my other programs to the HDD.

Only things on SSD are Windows, WoW, GW2, program files and Intel folder. This is the SDD I got : Kingston 120GB HyperX

Not really sure what info you need to help with this sort of problem. :s

One thing I notice is when I load up WoW, I get two launchers come up. Is this because I copied it over from my external HDD?
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2012-08-06 at 08:28 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're going to need to be more specific then that.

List your complete PC specs, how you proceeded with installation etc.
    You can park an SSD in a Pentium 4 machine f.ex, but the machine will still be ancient.

I've always had the best luck putting a new SSD in with a fresh windows install. Copy your WoW folder to another Hard-drive, and just copy it back after. Does your mobo even support SATA 6Gb/s connections? The load performance with an SSD should be night and day versus even 10K+ rpm hard-drives.

Deleted
    You need to get a good SSD. Like intel 500 series.

Run CrystalDiskMark on the SSD to see if the read/write speeds are what they should be. It obviously won't be as high as advertised, but you'll get an idea what speeds you're really getting. Then you can work on the underlying problem, maybe a really bad alignment or something. Or a bad drive. Or your motherboard. Lot of possibilities, but a real bench is a start.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    You're going to need to be more specific then that.

List your complete PC specs, how you proceeded with installation etc.
    You can park an SSD in a Pentium 4 machine f.ex, but the machine will still be ancient.
    Specs are; i3 2130, 8GB RAM, 4850 512mb. Motherboard is a gigabyte-Z68A-D3-B3 which does support 6GB/s.

I put a fresh install of windows 7 on before copying over my old files from my external HDD.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do this:

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzzyx View Post
    Run CrystalDiskMark on the SSD to see if the read/write speeds are what they should be. It obviously won't be as high as advertised, but you'll get an idea what speeds you're really getting. Then you can work on the underlying problem, maybe a really bad alignment or something. Or a bad drive. Or your motherboard. Lot of possibilities, but a real bench is a start.
    And this:

Install WoW directly, sometimes copying things from drive to drive just doesn't go like it should. Let us know how it works then.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakof View Post
    As for Shakof's statement, he obviously has no clue about Kingston or the HyperX line. While sure they use the dreaded SandForce 2281 chip, they are still bloody FAST SSDs and Kingston is a VERY well-off company, reputation-wise.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Did you make sure achi was enabled in the bios just curious
    You Can't C Me!!

Deleted
    So I checked inside my case to make sure I'd put it in the sata3 instead of sata2 slot, turns out it was sata2 - I put into the sata3 slot but now it won't boot, it just says windows resuming then goes to a black screen with a grey flashing _ in top left.

Edit, nevermind after a few reboots it started to work again. Going to run that test now.
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2012-08-06 at 09:20 PM.

Deleted
    Do you realise the Kingston HyperX series is not only Intel NAND Flash memory (that's specifically one of the best things about it) but it's also one of the best performing SATA 3 SSDs you can buy? Clearly not. I hate bad advice

Deleted
    This is the result from the test.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post

There is definitely a problem with your SSD.... I am wondering if it is the firmware. I would say go to the Kingston website and make sure to get the latest drivers for your SSD running on it.
    "A flower.

Make sure you checked AHCI in BIOS rather than IDE.

EDIT: Which port specifically did you plug it into?
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2012-08-06 at 09:36 PM.

Deleted
    There is definitely a problem with your SSD.... I am wondering if it is the firmware.
    I suspect much more likely to be your SATA controller. What is it? More information required

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Make sure you checked AHCI in BIOS rather than IDE.

EDIT: Which port specifically did you plug it into?
    Just changed it to AHCI in BIOS and it's plugged into one of my two Sata3 ports.

Kingston site doesn't want to load at the moment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatie12 View Post
    I suspect much more likely to be your SATA controller. What is it? More information required
    It is SandForce 2281... if it is running an older firmware... it has a good chance it COULD be the SSD for sure.

---------- Post added 2012-08-06 at 09:39 PM ----------

Just changed it to AHCI in BIOS and it's plugged into one of my two Sata3 ports.
    You mean it was IDE?! =X How did it get that way? =S
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    You mean it was IDE?! =X How did it get that way? =S
    I don't know. I haven't touched anything I swear! D:

Those speeds are just fine for Sata III.

Those 500mb speeds manufacturer's quote are based on sequential with compression. You're never going to hit 500mb exactly in a real world environment or even in CrystalDiskMark.
    Last edited by Rodpad; 2012-08-06 at 09:44 PM.

So just run CrystalDiskMark again now with AHCI

Deleted
    It is SandForce 2281
    That's the chip on the SSD. I'm talking about your motherboard SATA controller. Need to check what it is, if the appropriate drivers are installed and it's performing correctly. It's highly unlikely the firmware on the SSD is the problem.