Deleted

[Movies] Why did the Witch-King of Angmar pwn Gandalf in the movie?

This scene is highly inacurate. Gandalf is the chief of the Istari, wisest of the Maiar and messenger of Manwë, King of Valar. The only being in Middle-Earth capable of defeating Gandalf at this point is Sauron, another great Maiar. In the books, the scene is totally different. The WK enters, Gandlaf stands still and pretty much ignores his ''fire'' sword. He is neither surprised nor worried at the Witch King's arrival. He is then forced to ride back and save Faramir. The Wk flees before that.

Of course we know that no "man" can kill WK, but Gandalf isn't a man. Even Gandalf the Grey would've cleaned the floor with WK. Here, the Witch King got the jump on Gandalf... something that -N E V E R- happened in the books, even when he was the Grey. In the books, Gandalf was WAITING for the Witch King - like a fucking boss. It's pretty disappointing. Peter Jackson IS a great director but I'm not sure why he made Gandalf look like a bitch in that scene....

My guess is, he changed it to make the WK seem more threatening. The epicness of the battle wouldn't have been so great if Gandalf just treated their biggest and baddest commander (aside from Sauron) like a dog. The same reason why he didn't have that River man (forgot his name, the dancing/singing guy in the forest) in the movie, 1) because it was already too long, and 2) because having a character to whom the Ring had no affect to whatsoever would make the Ring seem less dangerous to the audience.

15+ Year Old Account
    In a film that lacks a corporeal villain, they needed something to be a physical malevolent presence. After all, at this point, the corporeal Saruman is defeated. Only Sauron (which is just an eye on top of the tower to 90% of the viewers) is it. The Witch King of Angmar seemed to be the logical choice. They toyed with having the Messenger of Sauron come out of the gates to face Aragorn too, but instead chose a troll.. The idea was that viewers wouldn't get that "the messenger of sauron" was a top lieutenant of his and not just some ugly foe.

What makes less sense to me is once they recruit the army of the dead to their side couldnt they just sip back and sip lemonade while the army of the dead did all the work? I mean theyre dead right? Swords and physical objects cannot pierce them. Its my biggest problem with the movie. If they could be killed/destroyed than it sure did it poor job displaying it in the movie since in the movie it was just a giant wave of death whenever the army of the dead came past

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    What makes less sense to me is once they recruit the army of the dead to their side couldnt they just sip back and sip lemonade while the army of the dead did all the work? I mean theyre dead right? Swords and physical objects cannot pierce them. Its my biggest problem with the movie. If they could be killed/destroyed than it sure did it poor job displaying it in the movie since in the movie it was just a giant wave of death whenever the army of the dead came past
    The army was under contract to answer the call to defend Gondor, nothing more. Aragorn, wisely, did not choose to force them beyond their oath. Had he done so, they may have turned on him rather than passing on.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

That's not even the biggest fuck up Peter Jackson made. http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/And%C3%BAril

Read the differences and lol. I think Peter Jackson was legitimately confused. I think he thought Aragorn was using a normal sword up to that point in the books, and the long thin thing wrapped in cloth given to Aragorn by the Rangers just before he entered the Paths of the Dead was Anduril, so he made the movie to fit that idea. The Ranger's gift to Aragorn though was actually the Banner of Elendil. This is what they put up on the captured ships so that the people of Gondor knew that their king had returned. It was this huge plot point in the books that he completely fucked up in what is quite possibly the biggest lore goof I've ever seen.

---------- Post added 2012-08-05 at 07:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    The army was under contract to answer the call to defend Gondor, nothing more. Aragorn, wisely, did not choose to force them beyond their oath. Had he done so, they may have turned on him rather than passing on.
    Also, sending an army of undead into direct conflict with the most powerful nercomancer to ever live seems like a bad idea. Remember, in the books Sauron had a physical body. That was another big lore goof. The eye was Sauron's symbol, something he used to spread fear as it represented his far reaching influence. It was never literal.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Also, sending an army of undead into direct conflict with the most powerful nercomancer to ever live seems like a bad idea. Remember, in the books Sauron had a physical body. That was another big lore goof. The eye was Sauron's symbol, something he used to spread fear as it represented his far reaching influence. It was never literal.
    That'll actually be interesting, to see how they cover that in the Hobbit, when Gandalf goes off to face The Necromancer who just happens to be Sauron slowly gathering his power and strengthening his physical form.

I feel bad for spoiler tagging an almost 80 year old story, but eh, don't feel like dealing with any rage.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.