Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Girlfriend Assistance

So my girlfriend has a past with doing pills and she went thru rehab and what not to get off them well today after I left her house her dad offered her a xanax or zanny for short and she took it. Could anybody give me some suggestions on how to deal with this?

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    ask yourself this. Why does her dad have all these pills?

Deleted
    Tell her to choose between you and the pills. More or less.

Unless you're at the point right now where you're planning on marrying her, get out while you can.

Not to be a dick, but unless you like misery, and that's all that's coming unless she truly wants to stop, even if she does, the success rate of never relapsing is so slim it's laughable. With her dad/family not caring it will only make it harder.

Sounds cold to do that, but you know how people say 'life is too short' etc. Well I've learned in 40 years it is. It flies by and there's no reason for you not to search for something/someone you'll be 100% happy with.
    Apply blizzards model to any other subscription service,you'd be outraged:
    Netflix adds no new movies for a year, you click a new movie, there's a $5 fee.
    You're in an accident, click your onstar button, but there's an addition $20 fee for them to help.
    You turn on your tv only to find all you get are the infomercial channels. Every other show is pay per view.
    See how dumb that model is?

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Bob View Post
    Tell her to choose between you and the pills. More or less.
    I've never thought that this would work in practicality. I mean, speaking as a person who genuinely wants to help people for the better, a question like that should at least provoke some thought in the person it's directed at, but if she just chooses the pills she'll probably find a boyfriend that loves doing it with her and I'd just feel guilty I couldn't help her myself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarin View Post
    I've never thought that this would work in practicality. I mean, speaking as a person who genuinely wants to help people for the better, a question like that should at least provoke some thought in the person it's directed at, but if she just chooses the pills she'll probably find a boyfriend that loves doing it with her and I'd just feel guilty I couldn't help her myself.
    Lifes too short to feel guilty for what other people do.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    pill poppers are usually lost causes..just my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    ask yourself this. Why does her dad have all these pills?
    Good question. There's too few detail in your post for anyone to give you specific advice, but you could start wondering what the hell is up with her dad

Get out of the relationship. You're not married to her yet. People with drug problems are married to their habits though, and unless she, on her own volition, for her own sake, divorces her habit, there's nothing in the relationship for you.

tell her to get off the pills and if she don't leave her.. if her father offers her pills just after rehab i'd say there is some serious issues going on that we don't know about.

Only have two options, Get rid of her or get her off the pills.

So tell her to choose between you or the pills. My cynical self says it's a losing battle, if her father is enabling her by giving her pills, but you really haven't given much info to go off of.
    Last edited by anveena; 2012-08-06 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    Unless you're at the point right now where you're planning on marrying her, get out while you can.

Not to be a dick, but unless you like misery, and that's all that's coming unless she truly wants to stop, even if she does, the success rate of never relapsing is so slim it's laughable. With her dad/family not caring it will only make it harder.

Sounds cold to do that, but you know how people say 'life is too short' etc. Well I've learned in 40 years it is. It flies by and there's no reason for you not to search for something/someone you'll be 100% happy with.
    ^ This

Unless everything was nothing but a dream and you were having serious considerations to spend the rest of your life with this person, there is no reason for you to dedicate time, effort and put yourself in misery's way to fix someone. If her family is only making her recovery worse, and she isn't putting in the effort herself to change, then there is absolutely nothing you can do. I learned that the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by kendro1200 View Post
    ^ This

Unless everything was nothing but a dream and you were having serious considerations to spend the rest of your life with this person, there is no reason for you to dedicate time, effort and put yourself in misery's way to fix someone. If her family is only making her recovery worse, and she isn't putting in the effort herself to change, then there is absolutely nothing you can do. I learned that the hard way.
    ^ Also, don't even bother wasting your time with ultimatums. She has a problem. She'll lie, she'll pretend she's going along with it, just walk away brah.

There isn't enough information in your post for us to go off of. What pills was she addicted to in the past? Did she have a prescription for them? If so, what were they being prescribed to treat? How often was she taking the pills? Why was she taking them?

There is a possibility that she needs the Xanax, but because of her history, she isn't allowed to keep them herself, so they're in her dad's possession so he can hand them to her at appropriate time intervals.

Think of it this way; if someone was a Morphine addict, they went into rehab to quit. Then they suddenly wound up in a car accident. Would you freak out if the hospital gave them Morphine for their pain now that they genuinely need it?

In the end, no matter what, it's her choice to do what she wants. If you're not comfortable with it in any way, it's better to get out of the relationship now.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't get what's so popular about xanax, I have an anxiety and panic disorder (to put it simply) and I was given them, they didn't do shit for me lol. But yeah pills work differently on different people I guess.

Back on topic, I'm guessing seeing as she went into rehab for it, she didn't take the pills for a valid reason. As already has been asked, why did her Dad offer one, why does he have them etc. Seems like he's a top notch guy to offer his daughter who'd been in rehab for drug abuse pills.

As for what you should do, tell her what she did was wrong and tell her that if she would to keep on doing it, it would seriously put your relationship on the line (I wouldn't leave her straight away for it, I'd give her a chance or two to fight it, but if after a month or so she's back on it then yeah, tell her goodbye). Also ask the Dad what the fuck his problem is offering his own daughter who's been in rehab freaking pills.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you considered that she might have a medical condition and actually need to be properly medicated? One reason people resort to illegal drugs(aside from the high), is because they have chemical imbalances that have never been dealt with.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

give her an opportunity to make a better choice.

Thank you everyone for the advice, I will take all this into consideration. I love her alot and will do what I can to not have her go down he wrong road.

Quote Originally Posted by Synntax View Post
    xanax or zanny for short
    How is a five letter word short for a five letter word?

Just get out of there. If she's a pillhead and she lives with a pillhead, she'll stay a pillhead.