Unsure which CPU temp reading to believe.

I have Intel i5 2500k which I have yet to overlock (So it's still at 3.3ghz) because I had been using stock cooling for cpu and case. Here's my deal:

I had run speed fan last week to get a read for how my system is running. Everything is running normal or below average so I suppose I am doing something right. However my CPU read 87C. I was concerned and figured it was time to finally get an after market cooler.

Today, after installing my Corsair Hydro H60, the temp accoring to speed fan still read 87C. However Asus EZ Bios is telling me my cpu is running at 41C.

I feel absolutely no heat coming from my case at all and find it hard to believe that an upgraded CPU cooler wouldn't lower the temp. I had not checked the CPU temp in the BIOS with the stock cooler so I have nothing to compare to. I understand 41C is fine but since Speed fan did not display changes with the new cooler it has lead me to believe I'm getting an inaccurate reading. How can I tell what is right and there is a reliable alternative program to monitor the temps of my hardware?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Download RealTemp 3.7 and let us know what it reads.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    41C is much more likely.

If you're in any doubt, go into the BIOS and those will be the "official" temperatures. It's often that monitoring software incorrectly reports temperature values.

Deleted
    If it really was at 87°C you would definitely feel the heat all over the case, so i'm pretty sure the 41°C reading is the right one.

I assume I'm good lol.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpenth View Post
    <snip>

I assume I'm good lol.
    lol, enjoy computing!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water