Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Yes I saw your post Mif, and I don't care. Fake or not that shape is awesome. *clings to it*
    Deal with it

Deleted
    I hope ANet and NCsoft wont be associated with the security of accounts.
    I have an AION account that's disabled which apparently was hacked, but I have no interest in playing it ever again, still I would hate if NCsoft had something to do with my GW2 Account Security.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Hold on, hold on, hold on

Arena-Net's customer service is great, absolutely fanfreakingtastic.
    It's if you're dealing with NCSoft that you really want to pull your hair out. Not sure how much ANet's taking the reins this time around though, from the look of the systems it seems a lot more than last time.
    Well ncsoft will deal with EU customer service :P

I had to deal with NCsoft to get my GW1 account unlocked once. Wasnt even a hack I just loged on from a different region and must have tripped an automated lockout or something. Only took 2 days to get it back and wouldnt have even taken that long if I'd thought to get my CD keys out with the first email. took me a bit to find them.

Who is John Galt?

I can't think of any single NCSoft game that has authenticators, so I have my doubts that GW2 will have any, either.

Blizzard provides authenticators because it cuts down on their customer support costs (they sell them at cost). If NCSoft has decided that authenticators do not save them enough in terms of customer support expenses, they are unlikely to roll them out. (Which is not to say that they may not roll out a mobile app later on if demand is high enough.) Note in particular that while authenticators may save NCSoft time dealing with hacked accounts, it also means that they then have to deal with people unable to access their accounts because they lost or broke their authenticators.

Accounts these days are primarily hacked by gold sellers (who then loot the characters on these accounts). With players being able to legally buy gold (buy gems, sell them at the trading post), there is most likely less of an incentive for gold sellers to operate. Similarly, powerleveling services are going to be less in demand, because there's less of a point to powerleveling (you get auto-leveled to 80 in PvP and there is no progression endgame going on).

That doesn't mean that it's not going to happen (some players may not know about the option to sell gems a the trading post, some gold sellers may still be able to undercut that, some outfits may offer grinding legendary weapons for a price instead of powerleveling). But it's likely that it will not matter enough for NCSoft to institute a scheme involving physical authenticators.

Deleted
    Meh, I just want to be able to use longer passwords again. Having these short ones makes me unnerved.

Usually I go for a password between 16-26 characters long.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    If you click that link to Ask a Question, there is an option to send an email. I've sent 2 so far and recieved a response w/i 24 hrs both times.
    This function creates a ticket in NCSoft support system. They have gotten pretty decent when answering commin questions (how do I recover my account) and beta related feedback.

Uncommon in-game issues? You're SOL. That's the problem with NCSoft. No GM to talk with unless you're REALLY lucky (think winning a second and third highest reward in lottery kind of lucky). That's the main reason why NCSoft's support has a really shitty reputation. And it's completely deserved.

They were also planning on having Android/iOS phone and tablet support as "Extended Play" options, such as live chats, live maps, event streaming, etc, which was previewed in 2010 and we've heard nothing since.

It'd be nice to actually hear something confirmed on this front :-/
    It seems like they are still planning on doing something in the mobile support area for GW2. If you look at ArenaNet's current job listing they have an opening for a Mobile Developer (http://www.arena.net/jobs/).

The following is taken directly from the job details:

"Guild Wars 2 is an exciting new next-generation MMORPG with innovative elements never before seen in the genre. Our vision is to revolutionize the world of massively-multiplayer online games, creating a world with not only stunning visual beauty but also original gameplay to both excite experienced and attract new gamers.

If you dream about creating groundbreaking game extension experiences such as the recently announced iPad/iPhone map viewer for GW2, then read on. We are looking for a talented and passionate developer to join our extended experience team building mobile applications. The iPad app is the tip of the iceberg in our charter to create best of breed extended game experiences worthy of an MMORPG that has earned the Best in Show Award of PAX 2010 and Gamescom's Best Online Game Award."

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvanie View Post
    I can't think of any single NCSoft game that has authenticators, so I have my doubts that GW2 will have any, either.
    GW2 is an ArenaNet game, not a NCSoft game. Yes, you might go through NCSoft for customer support, but at the end of the day it's an ArenaNet game, and can't be judged based on the publisher alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    GW2 is an ArenaNet game, not a NCSoft game. Yes, you might go through NCSoft for customer support, but at the end of the day it's an ArenaNet game, and can't be judged based on the publisher alone.
    NCSoft isn't ArenaNet's publisher. NCSoft owns ArenaNet; ArenaNet is a wholly owned subsidiary of NCSoft. How much freedom they let any particular game studio have is entirely up to them. From what little I know, they tend to be fairly hands off when it comes to actually building games, but since they have to front the money for expenditures and handle customer service, they have a lot of say in these matters.

For what it's worth, I'm not judging the game based on what NCSoft does, not to mention that my own experiences with NCSoft have always been positive. I'm merely saying that based on NCSoft's typical practices, it is unlikely for them to offer authenticators.

They were also planning on having Android/iOS phone and tablet support as "Extended Play" options, such as live chats, live maps, event streaming, etc, which was previewed in 2010 and we've heard nothing since.

It'd be nice to actually hear something confirmed on this front :-/
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08...pment-and-str/

The studio explained that although there won't be any mobile apps at the game's launch, shortly after "we'll be launching a robust app development program in conjunction with our community that should allow for the development of some truly spectacular GW2 app and website development."

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they have an authentication key chain that is also a beer bottle opener! Mmmm
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    Free app for smatphones would be nice
    Arukas

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read something, somewhere, about them talking to the VASCO people, so I'm expecting authenticators.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Best Security is a good password. Don't rely on companies to protect your account you should protect it yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoCoffee View Post
    Best Security is a good password. Don't rely on companies to protect your account you should protect it yourself.
    Best security is to have several layers of it. Don't rely entirely on the vain hope of having a good password.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoCoffee View Post
    Anyone can be hacked. Having a password as easy as "M4G3NT439CLB1Nova" will get hacked just as easy as a password like "1234ABCD"

I've never been hacked because I don't download crap that I don't know is there and I scan daily. That said, I still use an authenticator for any games that offer it.

It's not hurting anyone to have backup security so why even make this comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I'm betting they'll be offering authenticators soon.

Taken at the 2012 GamesCon:

that doesn't necessarily say much - CCP Games handed out free authenticators at their 2011 FanFest (which probably earned them the spot on that poster) and one-and-a-half years later EVE Online does still not support them in any form.

Well I've never been hacked in wow for the 7+ years I've played or however long it's been.. but I hope for some security measures as I no longer care for my wow account and will greatly care for my GW2 account and all these account hacks have been more frequent in the past couple years then back in 2000... 6? been to long since wow released I can't remember!

Been hacked twice, two friends have been hacked aswell and my gf got hacked once aswell. Passwords are the easiest thing to break through it seems. Authenticators are not a 100% protection either, but they sure help.