Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Been hacked twice, two friends have been hacked aswell and my gf got hacked once aswell. Passwords are the easiest thing to break through it seems. Authenticators are not a 100% protection either, but they sure help.
    You need to clean your PC, get an active/up to date anti-virus and stop clicking on emails that aren't from blizzard, or w/e company your hacked accounts are with. (Hover over any links in your email and see what the address is before clicking them). And if your friends or GF signed into their accounts from your PC(or you signed into yours from their PC) then that's why they got hacked as well. W/E PC the keylogger is on will take every account that signs in from said PC.

Quote Originally Posted by smiteme12 View Post
    Well I've never been hacked in wow for the 7+ years I've played or however long it's been.. but I hope for some security measures as I no longer care for my wow account and will greatly care for my GW2 account and all these account hacks have been more frequent in the past couple years then back in 2000... 6? been to long since wow released I can't remember!
    EXACTLY! Security Measures.

It boggles my mind why some people get up in arms about this kind of shit. Why would anyone be against authenticators or other forms of account security?

They always say "Well, I've never been hacked". Well either have I.

I also never had my car stolen, but I don't leave it parked outside with the windows up but the doors unlocked..

Sorry, kinda went on a rant there. Anyway, yes, security measures..
    Last edited by iCandy; 2012-08-07 at 10:28 PM.

It has very little to do with how strong or weak your password is or how up to date your AV may be. Majority of "hackers" aren't brute forcing. Any reputable dev/publisher (including Blizzard) will start to block login attempts after so many failed attempts.

When you look at the big picture, there are 2 main ways that people gain access:

1. Phishing
    2. Flash / browser / ad exploits to deploy keyloggers

Point #2 being the most prevalent. There's no way to protect against it whatsoever unless you simply uninstall flash. MMO-champion on numerous occasions has had ads sneak through with malicious exploits embedded in the flash file leading to large amounts of users getting infected. Same goes for Curse and any other MMO related site. The attackers essentially hand pick the most trafficked site by players of the game they want to gain access to, pay whichever (unknowing) ad distributor to deploy malicious ads to said site and then reap the rewards.

By the time the zero day exploit is discovered, many people will have already been infected. A lot of people seem to dismiss other players saying "WTF happened I got hacked out of thin air" to their own stupidity, but many times this is not the case due to exploits mentioned above.

/endlesson :P

TLDR: Authenticators or on-screen clickable PIN authentication is a godsend and should totally be implemented.
    Last edited by glo; 2012-08-07 at 10:36 PM.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by iCandy View Post
    You need to clean your PC, get an active/up to date anti-virus and stop clicking on emails that aren't from blizzard, or w/e company your hacked accounts are with. (Hover over any links in your email and see what the address is before clicking them). And if your friends or GF signed into their accounts from your PC(or you signed into yours from their PC) then that's why they got hacked as well. W/E PC the keylogger is on will take every account that signs in from said PC.
    This was all 2 years or so back aswell, i am aware to keep my pc safe. None of us had any trojans of sorts, i dont even think they need those to get in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    This was all 2 years or so back aswell, i am aware to keep my pc safe. None of us had any trojans of sorts, i dont even think they need those to get in anymore.
    Actually, Trojans have become more and more prevalent. That's because it's been getting harder and harder to break into modern operating systems. If you run a 64-bit version of either Windows Vista/7 or OS X Lion+, there are a number of OS features (adress space layout randomization, W^X, etc.) that make exploits more and more difficult. Web browsers have also become harder and harder to attack (e.g., Chrome's sandboxing technology, increasing prevalence of adblocking and flashblocking browser extensions).

That does not make hacking computers impossible, but it makes it more difficult, and thus more expensive, and online crime is not immune to market forces. Trojans still capture a LOT of low-hanging fruit in the form of users that don't really understand computers and computer security and make it much easier to circumvent protections in the OS (because once you get a user to execute YOUR code, you can do a hell of a lot more). They may fool only a small fraction of their targets, but the cost/benefit ratio is much better for an attacker than a technologically sophisticated scheme. For example, practically all known OS X malware that has been observed in the wild has been of the Trojan variety.