15+ Year Old Account

Can't get back into gaming, question

Story inc:

2 weeks ago we moved cross country from Ohio to Oregon. Leading up to the move I was gaming everyday, about 4-5 hours a day for a little bit in the morning before the kids and wife got up, then again after the kids went to sleep at night. I was playing SWTOR and EQ2 mostly. Taking a break from wow, not sure I'll come back at MoP or not, we'll see. Anyways, I was gaming right up until we left, packed my PC the night before we drove out on our 6 day trip cross country with wife, two kids under 4, 2 dogs and 2 cats in our FJ cruiser, pulling a 12ft. Uhaul trailer behind us.

So we moved out to the country, we inherited a small 30 acre hazelnut farm from my wife's dad. He just got too old to upkeep it so he told us, come take over or I'm selling it, so of course we took it over. Been outside every single day just cleaning up, ripping out old orchards, making trash runs, etc. Tiring work but now that clean up has slowed a bit, I have more time to sit down and game. So I excitedly unpack my PC, finally, been using a laptop just for internet surfing before bed. I load up my games, mainly SWTOR and EQ2, and a plethora of games on Steam.

Bottom line, I can't get into any of them. The past three days I'll sit down for literally about 90mins before bed, load up game after game, spending 5-10mins on each one and end up closing them out not being able to get interested again. Keep in mind this whole time I've been itching to play again but haven't because I needed to keep my mind focused on cleaning up the place a bit. I don't know what is going on, I've found myself, even as I write this, wanting to game, but can't get into my games. I even bought a new CSR Elite wheel for Forza and Iracing because I love racing too, and can't get into that either. None of my 50+ games are holding me. So I end up just going to bed early wanting to game, but not being able to find any that hold my attention.

Okay, I know, long story. Don't want to do a tl:dr version because I feel the details are important to figuring out what my problem is and if anyone else has experienced it. Don't say go outside because since moving form the city to the country, I've been outside 8-12 hours a day since coming here. I feel like while mentally I just want to unwind but can't unwind how I used to.
    Last edited by select20; 2012-08-07 at 08:31 PM.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Deleted
    Go outside!
    Sorry had to..

I found creating something odd to be a good unwinder, for when games cant hold me.

Last project was a remote helicopter, next project is a portable Nintendo 64, but this one has proven to be hard to get all the right parts (i am looking at you portable ps1 screen)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think you're just tired and getting used to the new lifestyle. Give it time and I think you'll be able to game soon like you used to.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Why is that necessarily something you're concerned about? You seem to be a pretty casual gamer, so why not give it a bit longer of a break and just come back when you actually feel like it instead of trying to force yourself?
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Try Civilization 4 or 5.

Enjoy not sleeping anymore.

Hey, HEY! Don't question a miracle. Just take it.

But srsly, start new save in Skyrim. Sorry for ruining your sex life
    Last edited by pucGG; 2012-08-07 at 08:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't view it as a problem. I'm exactly the same. I really want to play something, but I just can't get myself into any game at all at this point. Been like this for months now.

I see it as a benefit rather than a problem. I'll probably get back into gaming again a little later. Sure, it sucks when you've got spare time on your hands, but it gives me room for even more variation in my life. That's not a bad thing.

How are you feeling about the farm? About life in general?

There are a few times I've lost my "gaming appetite". Probably the most frequent is when I'm upset/frustrated about something (money trouble, house hunting stress, etc.). Other times I am too focused on some real-life issue (upcoming demo, upcoming vacation, etc.) to be able to focus on games.

Most recently, I lost the "gaming appetite" after watching the USA vs Canada women's soccer match. It was a really close match so my adrenaline was through the roof and I couldn't find a game to match that high. I tried MW3, Skyrim, Dungeon Defenders, and a few others, but none of them did the trick so I just booted them up and shut them off after a few minutes like you describe. I eventually settled on some WoW PVP which wasn't really satisfying but it at least got me through the night.

OP, what you face, as so many others, is having shitty games, and nothing good coming out :/

Thats case for me anyway . Pathetic one haft to wait inbetween games coming out now days, useally being very bored for long.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Story inc:
    So we moved out to the country, we inherited a small 30 acre hazelnut farm from my wife's dad. He just got too old to upkeep it so he told us, come take over or I'm selling it, so of course we took it over. Been outside every single day just cleaning up, ripping out old orchards, making trash runs, etc. Tiring work but now that clean up has slowed a bit, I have more time to sit down and game. So I excitedly unpack my PC, finally, been using a laptop just for internet surfing before bed. I load up my games, mainly SWTOR and EQ2, and a plethora of games on Steam.
    Do you have hazelnut trees on your farm or bushes? Don't remember if the tree variant is American or Asian Anyways, enjoy it if you like, better a diversion, old habits like gaming kick in early enough.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Duridi View Post
    Don't view it as a problem. I'm exactly the same. I really want to play something, but I just can't get myself into any game at all at this point. Been like this for months now.

I see it as a benefit rather than a problem. I'll probably get back into gaming again a little later. Sure, it sucks when you've got spare time on your hands, but it gives me room for even more variation in my life. That's not a bad thing.
    Aye - I'm in the same boat. I constantly try to play something, be it something old, or something brand new and it always ends up the same. Sigh.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Roll with it.

Same thing happened to me when I found some people in real life to write music with. Games have been impossible to get into since then. While I'm at work I'll browse a few of my favorite forums to get my mind off whatever I'm doing, some of which are gaming related but usually I'm in off topic. I have a gigantic LED TV with a PS3, PS2, N64, Gamecube, Sega Genesis and an NES that go untouched. Gave up WoW and LoL way earlier in the year and I don't even have the inkling to rejoin that or any other full scale game. For games to be fun at all to me, they have to be extremely social (like board games, or lan party style) and even then I can only take an hour or so before I lose interest in favor of something more productive.

In summary, I'd say rock that farm and embrace that lifestyle as it seems to be more satisfying for your personality. There's no reason to expect games to maintain their place in your life forever and it sounds like you're outgrowing what they have to offer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the reply's, all encouraging. Reason I made this thread is because I was getting bored. Not having your hobby to fall back on sucks.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

Some people play games to escape from reality. Maybe your subconscious is telling you it doesn't want to run anymore.