Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If my main language is french, how much time can I survive in UK?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    Forever, as long as you don't expect anybody to understand French...foreign languages aren't a strong point.

In fact, English isn't a strong point in some parts of the country.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Slightly better than if you speak English in France.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    One bit of advice to the Americans...pretend you're Canadian.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Forever, as long as you don't expect anybody to understand French...foreign languages aren't a strong point.

In fact, English isn't a strong point in some parts of the country.
    Even as a french canadian?

off-topic: If you doesn't know Franglish from Acadia (aka Chiac). Listen to that. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCzwCtae0UY

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Sex capital of Europe you mean
    No. Gay capital. Sex and Gay are not the same. At all.

Sex capital of Europe is Holland. For obvious reasons.

Sex capital of England is LDN. No question.

Have you ever been out of Sheffield? :S

10+ Year Old Account
    Even as a french canadian?

off-topic: If you doesn't know Franglish from Acadia (aka Chiac). Listen to that. It's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCzwCtae0UY
    Canadians and Belgians are the least offensive people in the world to the British - we haven't been to war with them* and they aren't our rivals in any sports.

*I know that we gave the French a damn good thrashing in Canada, but 99% of British people won't know that - so avoid putting French in front of Canadian and you won't go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    OK, first of all, Food is not cheaper (its a lot more expensive actually) and jobs well depends where you are in the States for comparison. I would agree with the rest.

In addition: free heath care, very hard and expensive driving test, good state welfare, stupidly high housing market (rent and buying), great TV, sane police, bigoted people and insane petrol (gas) prices.

I am generalizing some of these. I would recommend Brighton.
    Rent is expensive where I am now 1000 up for a two 1200 and up usually 1400

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    No. Gay capital. Sex and Gay are not the same. At all.

Sex capital of Europe is Holland. For obvious reasons.

Sex capital of England is LDN. No question.

Have you ever been out of Sheffield? :S
    Haha! I went to Amsterdam and the only thing I can say is that Las Vegas is nothing compared to Amsterdam

---------- Post added 2012-08-08 at 12:39 AM ----------

Canadians and Belgians are the least offensive people in the world to the British - we haven't been to war with them* and they aren't our rivals in any sports.

*I know that we gave the French a damn good thrashing in Canada, but 99% of British people won't know that - so avoid putting French in front of Canadian and you won't go wrong.
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

One bit of advice to the Americans...pretend you're Canadian.
    Really? A chap I knew tol me I best pretend meself a cockney englishman. Speak like that Eliza Do-little, he sayed. Garn!

I have a pretty obvious English accent despite living in America. I blame my mom lol. People think I'm posh and apparently sound rp so I'm told.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    Really? A chap I knew tol me I best pretend meself a cockney englishman. Speak like that Eliza Do-little, he sayed. Garn!
    As opposed to a cockney jock, taff or paddy?

Quote Originally Posted by taurvanhiel View Post
    Yeah. Nah.

Deleted
    Interesting thread. I'm also thinking of moving to England in a near future. I haven't been in England but what i have heard is that English people are very polite. Is that true?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by alteam View Post
    Interesting thread. I'm also thinking of moving to England in a near future. I haven't been in England but what i have heard is that English people are very polite. Is that true?
    Most people are polite if you are polite.

I have been in England one time, and I wouldn't mind visiting again or living there.
    The only thing I hate is the measurement systems.
    Last edited by mmoc4ea3ad99ad; 2012-08-08 at 01:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    It's getting too politically correct and policed. You can't even make jokes on twitter in fear of being arrested.

http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/907304-...al-paper-clips

Otherwise it's just...England.

I'm not trolling or trying to be offensive either (unless to support such ridiculous measures). Like most Americans, the UK is important to me. I don't want to see anything bad happen.
    "There is a whole generation of people who have confused health and safety legislation with political correctness" Stewart Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Dotcha View Post
    OK, first of all, Food is not cheaper (its a lot more expensive actually) and jobs well depends where you are in the States for comparison. I would agree with the rest.
    Having just been there I can tell you compared to the US food is quite a bit cheaper. That's store bought home cooked stuff of course. Eating out does work out to be a bit more expensive taking when taking the conversion rate into consideration.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

I am also considering moving to England. I should finish college in three years and then I would like to move to UK for some time to improve my english and maybe stay there for few years. I love England, two years ago I fell in love with UK horse racing and have been watching it almost every day since. I am thinking Southwell or Wolverhampton maybe Newcastle could be fine for me, so I could go to race course quite often.

I would like to ask how you guys in England look at foreigners? I read an article recently which said you don't like people from Poland very much and I was told you don't make any difference between us (Czech republic) and Poland too.

Quote Originally Posted by barricade_ View Post
    I would like to ask how you guys in England look at foreigners? I read an article recently which said you don't like people from Poland very much and I was told you don't make any difference between us (Czech republic) and Poland too.
    Being from the US, I can say I didn't have any trouble with anyone when I was over there.

I may be mistaken, but to them the Polish are kinda like Mexicans are to us here. They go over to England, (legally, though) work for low pay, making it harder for UK citizens to get a decent wage, and then go back to Poland with the money they make because they have a ridiculous exchange rate.
    They can dynamite Devil Reef, but that will bring no relief, Y'ha-nthlei is deeper than they know.

Crap and i cannot wait to get out. That my opinion.