Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Having the content scaled to your level is nice, but in terms of rewards, you still get "level-inappropriate rewards", unless I am mistaken. In other words, if you're 50 and doing content for level 10s, you get level 10 gear, not level 50 gear. To my eyes, the only really positive side of content-scaling is the fact that an xpac can add content to all levels of the game and have it be enjoyed by end-tier people as much as those who are still leveling up (although they still won't get gear for it).
    You are highly mistaken. All drops are scaled to your true level. If I was level 70 running a level 30 dungeon, I would recieve level 70 drops.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

No, your character xxLadydeathxx won't be getting upgrades each month. But there is nothing to stop Anet from pushing out a new dungeon or elite area that will challenge all the same. Because ya'know, they have 4 games under their belt that says they can do that easily.
    The fact that I'm not paying them $15/month would stop them from releasing frequent updates. Given how Blizzard takes the money and does not deliver, maybe it's a good thing, at least I keep my money.

Quote Originally Posted by killidan View Post
    The fact that I'm not paying them $15/month would stop them from releasing frequent updates. Given how Blizzard takes the money and does not deliver, maybe it's a good thing, at least I keep my money.
    They released content patches in the orginal guild wars inbetween expansion pacs and they plan on doing the same with the sequeal.

Guild wars also did not require a subscription.

10+ Year Old Account
    They made content patches for GW1, they've stated that they will do it for GW2. It's perfectly doable in a B2P model. Some companies are just greedy.
    Valar morghulis

Couple of things about that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_W...k_architecture

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Game_updates

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    "All game is end-game" is basically doublespeak invented specifically for GW2 by its defense krewe. Why can't you just admit that it has no end game and be done with it. There is nothing inherently wrong with it, which you must think if you feel the need to use the doublespeak.
    i dunno, a big PvE warzone that you fight over constantly against mobs seems like end game to me.

For the people talking about what level gear your going to get when being downscaled its like Fencers said. Your going to get a wide variety of loot ranging from your actual level to the level of content that your currently doing. Anet did this because they didnt want players staying in lower level zones farming higher level gear for mats and such. So the % chance that youll get gear your level is lower in a lower level area.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2012-08-08 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    sequeal.
    This made me laugh more than it should have.

Also, it's been stated and referred to dozens of times, we know that Anet will at the very least have a team doing updates on the live client adding in new Dynamic Events.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I love improving my character and playing new harder zones. I like getting better and better gear with higher stats.
    You have been trained to believe that gear is content.
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    You have been trained to believe that gear is content.
    I'd rather say it is a natural extension of leveling process, where one gets stronger through stat increases, both due to level and gear.

I'd rather say it is a natural extension of leveling process, where one gets stronger through stat increases, both due to level and gear.
    That still happens, its just it plateaus at level 80 and you customize your stats to what your build needs. Which could mean you need to collect lots of different sets of gear with different sets to run your different builds. It's easier to do it in PvP than PvE though.

You have vitality,toughness,power,crit power, crit chance, condition damage, and healing power to work around for your builds. Not all builds will work with the same stats if you run with the same set of gear and not all builds are going to work for all situations. It's more of a gear grind than people think.

And you get scaled down in lower level content for the stuff to be challenging and you won't be able to one shot anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    In GW3 as my level increases, I have access to more difficult content. If I try to take on that content with too low of a level, I get one-shot lol.

---------- Post added 2012-08-07 at 07:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    i dunno, a big PvE warzone that you fight over constantly against mobs seems like end game to me.
    It's going to be amazing, Zeek

They discuss the events leading into Orr at 2:35 - 5:10

Meta events
    Taking key locations in Orr
    Progression into Orr
    Massive amount of players working together
    Take 3 landings on the beachhead of Orr, by air sea & land
    Take control of each of the corrupted God Temples
    Final progression to get up to the final dungeon with huge event chain
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Taking key locations in Orr
    Progression into Orr
    Silly question but what does ORR stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post

For the people talking about what level gear your going to get when being downscaled its like Fencers said. Your going to get a wide variety of loot ranging from your actual level to the level of content that your currently doing. Anet did this because they didnt want players staying in lower level zones farming higher level gear for mats and such. So the % chance that youll get gear your level is lower in a lower level area.
    Thats what I assumed too. It would be silly to farm level 80 gear in starting zones otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post
    It's an area in the game, there's a lvl 70-75, 75-80, and a lvl 80 zone in Orr. I don't think Orr is short for anything, the name of the area is simply named Orr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NeonX View Post

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ruins_of_Orr

Bigger Image Link: http://i.imgur.com/eeoRa.jpg

Center south island looking area with only 3 zones (so far)

Just resized that for you. ~Zil
    Last edited by Zilong; 2012-08-08 at 03:53 AM.
    Valar morghulis

Can you do Orr at level 1?

The only place where the reward is not adjusted for the true level of the player is in Personal Story if I'm not mistaken.

And..

Well, I love improving my character and playing new harder zones. I like getting better and better gear with higher stats.
    For me it's just an illusion (a good one at that). If you play thru an end-game content like Ulduar and get geared then some good time after you play Icecrown Citadel and you get new gear every time. Did you really improve? Or did you just matched the actual content "difficulty"? I'm sorry for the WoW comparison but that's by far the easiest and more wide known. Now if you run today Ulduar or Icecrown? You can solo with a DK. Now an expansion later you can actually feel like "I got better and better and I have a HUGE portion of improved stats" but you can never really feel challenged by any of that content again...and if you are a new player (starting on Cata) you will never see any shade of those contents (which is the primary focus of the game).

Now my point of view and my opinion are. IF Anet is able to provide freshness and good content (with or without xpacs) that can satisfy the max levels (and that includes being tuned down on lower zones), I really see little to no down side for the "no endgame".

Quote Originally Posted by Nephlim View Post
    no, you won't get scaled up to higher level areas, you'll only get downscaled to lower level areas in order to not break the experience for other players and still have a bit of challenge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephlim View Post
    Nope.

You cannot scale up for PvE content, you can only scale down. You need to be at least level 70 for the first zone in Orr. The final battle & dungeon is at level 80.

TY Zilong - I couldn't figure out how to do it <3
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    The only place where the reward is not adjusted for the true level of the player is in Personal Story if I'm not mistaken.

And..

For me it's just an illusion (a good one at that). If you play thru an end-game content like Ulduar and get geared then some good time after you play Icecrown Citadel and you get new gear every time. Did you really improve? Or did you just matched the actual content "difficulty"? I'm sorry for the WoW comparison but that's by far the easiest and more wide known. Now if you run today Ulduar or Icecrown? You can solo with a DK. Now an expansion later you can actually feel like "I got better and better and I have a HUGE portion of improved stats" but you can never really feel challenged by any of that content again...and if you are a new player (starting on Cata) you will never see any shade of those contents (which is the primary focus of the game).

Now my point of view and my opinion are. IF Anet is able to provide freshness and good content (with or without xpacs) that can satisfy the max levels (and that includes being tuned down on lower zones), I really see little to no down side for the "no endgame".
    Actually in WoW there is no scaling, so as you become more powerful you feel more powerful relative to the world around you. You can take on more mobs at the same time, you can solo older group content, the more powerful you become has a very real impact. Whether or not you enjoy these activities is not the issue, but the reality is that you do become more powerful relative to the world. Whether or not the gear treadmill is good design is an issue that can be endlessly debated because it is based on opinion.

I agree that if anet can provide new content fast enough that players don't get bored then the issue is moot. However providing content as the same rate players can consume it is a pretty high hurdle, especially without repeatable content. The problem with repeatable content is that people aren't likely to want to repeat it without real rewards.

Personally I don't have a problem with no PvE endgame, there is always alt leveling to keep me busy, and because their is no subscription I won't feel like I'm wasting my money if I play something else.