Page 1 of 2
LastLast

need help -- Disc Healing (Heroic Ds)

Just looking for advice on Reforging stats (haste, Crit, Mastery), What should be changed, Healing macro or sorta rotation(Yes i know there is no real Rotation) But what is best used (General Spells *Example: GH, FH, Pen). Geming, correct gems used, what not.
    this is also 25 man raid content.

Armory
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Nive/advanced

WoL
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...m/healingDone/
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-1nd11mhnkfhl0shk/

Any help would be nice. please keep it constructive thank you
    Last edited by Noix; 2012-08-08 at 12:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add 10 or 25

10+ Year Old Account
    For Disc I recommend (and this is my opinion) reforge out of spirit and put as much into haste and mastery.

I say this because of my play style i use PW:S only for rupture return and for extreme emergency most of the time i am spamming PoM so to stack DA.

So the Haste = faster casts for PoM and Mastery = bigger DA.

I see that PW:S seems to be your spell that "healed" the most it should be DA followed by PoM
    So try to use PoM more and PW:s only for the rupture. Remember priest are not spot healers like a pala we Prevent damage if some one needs a direct heal do a penance and one Greater Heal should be good. ( maybe two) I like to pre shield the raid get them like a 60K shield and keep it up for as long as possible.

Hope this helps!

Thanks yea i did some changes to my reforge a bit more

and by PoM he means PoH...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lundmark View Post
    and by PoM he means PoH...
    oh crap... Yea I meant that :P

lol thats what i thought you ment anyways .. PoM is always on CD..

GEAR & REFORGE
    * Weapon: If you have a normal Maw (or even LFR one), consider at least using it on some fights like Ultraxion. Cleansing Flames procs are wonderful, especially in 25man.
    * Spirit: Your spirit seems fine (I tend to run at around 2.2k with a H Heart of Unliving just to be on the safe side so I can throw bubbles a bit more freely, and I share gear with my Shadow set so some pieces I can't reforge for healing without screwing up my Shadow).
    * Stat Priority: Your stat priority looks right on target with Haste > Mastery > Crit. Frankly I find all our secondary stats to be pretty great, and priority can be changed based on your healing assignment (tank healing vs raid healing). This is the stat priority I go with as a raid healer.
    * Enchants: I recommend picking up Lavawalker (+35 Mastery and Minor Movement Speed) for your boots over +50 Haste. Movement speed is a wonderful thing.
    * Gems: Pick up a Burning Shadowspirit Diamond for your helm, which has +54 Int and 3% Increased Critical Effect (which would also boost your DA procs sizes from crit heals!)
    * Professions: If you plan to raid fairly hardcore, you might want to replace Herbalism with something more beneficial in terms of stats. I used to be Alchemy/Herbalism myself, but I ended up swapping Herbalism for Enchanting for static int buffs to my rings. I made my Druid be my farming herbalist instead =P
    * Get your hands on Tier Shoulders if possible, since you'll want your offpiece to be gloves from Spine (if you're going for BiS gear).

TALENTS
    I'm not much of a Surge of Light fan and would prefer to put those points elsewhere. Flash Heal isn't as valuable to us as Disc Priests compared to Holy (where are least it is building them Serendipity stacks). Other decent options to put points:
    * 3/3 Darkness
    * Veiled Shadows
    * Inspiration (though I see you have a Shaman in your raid already)
    * Desperate Prayer
    Personally, I would put the points into Darkness or Veiled Shadows. I would not spec into Strength of Soul in a 25man setting, unless you're primarily a tank healer (or I'd at most I'd take 1/2).

GLYPHS
    Glyphing into Divine Accuracy and Smite seems very pointless if you're not Atonement specced, which you aren't at the moment. I noticed in your logs you had some Atonement healing, but very minimal. In that case if you're barely smiting, I wouldn't recommend picking up AA/A, therefore replace your two Major glyphs. Other good glyphs you can pick up instead:
    * Glyph of Dispel Magic
    * Glyph of Mass Dispel
    * Glyph of Desperation
    *Glyph of Fade (I used to use this on some fights like H Spine, because I tend to get a LOT of healing aggro and need to Fade on CD with the glyph on)

LOGS
    * Penance more. You even have it glyphed to reduce the CD, and you're barely using it based on the logs that you linked. Penance alone is a great tool to get someone to 3 stacks of Grace very quickly.
    * Don't make Power Word: Shield your main spell. I admit, I'm a bit of a spammer myself, but not to where PW:S is consistently my top "heal". Try to focus using PW:S for Rapture purposes, rather than as a healing tool (not saying you can't use it to save lives or when you need to, just try to spam it less).
    * Prayer of Healing is your main AoE healing spell. It may not seem too strong when healing people up, but remember it leaves a DA shield on every target who was hit by PoH. In 10m H Zon'ozz during progression in December, I would PoH my ranged group constantly (even while topped off) just to build DA stacks so when the ball hits, the damage wouldn't be overwhelming. If you're bubble spamming with PW:S before a group of people take damage, try to go more of the PoH + DA stack route and see how that goes. I'm not sure why your PoH healing seems so low (on H Morchok for instance) since I tend to use that to get everyone up after a stomp. Were your healing targets not all in the same group? If not, make sure the RL knows that you need your healing targets in the same group together for PoH purposes. Otherwise he might not be aware that you need to heal your group in that fashion. This should really be your main raid healing spell, not PW:S.
    * Macro Inner Focus to spells. It doesn't appear that you have IF macroed to spells that use this spell, AKA Flash Heal, Greater Heal, Binding Heal, and Prayer of Healing. You have Inner Focus casted 1 time on Morchok, 1 time on Zon'ozz, 0 times on Yor'sahj, and 0 times on Hagara Try4. You are definitely not taking advantage of how awesome IF is, nor are you making ANY use of the Train of Thought talent. If you don't have it macroed, do it now so you will use it on CD. It's also great for your mana.
    * Prayer of Mending more. This tends to be a bit of a weak point for priest healers (including myself). I forget to use it sometimes when it's off CD, which is ideal since the first tick heals more since you're glyphed, so it's something you want to try and use on CD even if your prior PoM hasn't run it's course yet.
    These might not be the best logs to look at TBH. They're of normal content at a 30% nerf, where there's probably very little to even heal anymore. Do you have any other logs where you're healing heroic fights other than Morchok?

Btw, I like your priest's name ^^ It's like a combination of Five and Nine and Knives, but cooler XD

Ellumina Thanks, Yes we doing Heroic 25 Ds with No buff is why i am on the forms .. my logs messed up for last nite raids and recorded 1 of the fights that i did horrid on. ill post few more but they are all heroic 30% nerf. (did awesome with 30% nerf, just seems like i am weak now)

PoM yea i tend to forget a lot is why i am working on it now. is also Mouse bind to *Right click* so i dont have to be in the group.

I just did a recent spec change is why you see me having SoL as a talent, i was thinking droping it. putting 1 in Desperate Prayer and Other in Darkness, as for Veiled of Shadows i not too worried about it since only be able cast once per fight unless Heroic Spine or Madness (Fight takes longer then 5).

Yea Bubbles is my thing i was doing some round the house (Ok fine beating the other healer) in Healing/Absorb (yes bad move). i need pull myself away from that is why when we did heroic (without 30%) i think i was doing horrid. will work on that now that it was pointed out.

Hehe since you pointed out my Glyphs i totally forgot about that after i respect to try *SoL* talent, thank you would went to raid like that and look stupid.

If you could shoot me your macro for inner focus that be cool just basic.

The Strength of Soul talent was (Respect after Raid) to test it out on LFR but if your saying not overly worth the trouble ill drop for point in (Inner Sanc),

I am hardcore raider and need pick up my heals for MoP.
    Thank you very much for detailed pointed advice this helps lots

Horrid WoL of Zonoz
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-h3oys4ubqo01d7q0/
    they put me on tank healing before i change spec and posted on MMO - i think i just went stupid but yea here they are.

Last weeks
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...m/healingDone/

With a firelands vvvv
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-twmqdw4h9bkn5gfw/

This is the simple Greater Heal macro I use that replaces my normal Greater Heal (I also do mouseover healing):

#showtooltip Greater Heal
    /target [target=mouseover]
    /cast Inner Focus
    /script UIErrorsFrame:Clear(); UIErrorsFrame:Show()
    /cast Greater Heal

I did have 1/2 in Strength of Soul when I was still raiding 10man, sacrificing 1 point in Train of Thought. I found that it's not necessary in 25man because I'm not fulltime on tanks, and have no reason really to reduce the CD of Weakened Soul in terms of Rapture. And now I keep two points in ToT because I do a decent amount of spot healing with GH and I tend to Smite a lot during downtimes (I am Atonement specced).

I can't speak for 25m DS prenerfs, because my raid was originally a 10man raiding group before we changed to 25m in May (we got to 6/8HM, and downed Spine and Madness during the 5% nerf). I wish I could link logs from that far back or at least view them as somewhat of a comparison to try and help you out, but that was in January and I no longer have those logs. All I remember is H Zon'ozz was very very painful to heal, and I made sure to build as much DA stacks on people as possible. I also didn't use Atonement much during 10m prenerf since I found little downtime to be smiting, and your gear is definitely more than enough to handle the healing. I was still around 395-398 ilvl during the time we killed H Madness =[

Thanks alot for that macro this will help wounders

I dont have much to contribute to this thread, since the other replies have been perfectly constructive. I'd just like to point out that priests don't have much for burst healing (aside from lucky crits) which I found to be a major disadvantage in my pre-nerf DS experience. At 30% debuff its easy enough that any healer can do fine, but with the debuff off you may be feeling a little weaker just because other classes are significantly better or easier to play. I have a Hpally and Rdruid as well as D/Hpriest, and I can tell you that D priest is very likely the weakest (in raw healing output). Don't expect to top meters, you're there for your utility and preventative healing.

---------- Post added 2012-08-08 at 03:10 PM ----------

Oh I guess I do have more..

- one thing that I find a lot of healers struggle with - Don't race with other healers to get heals off first, you'll both waste time and mana. Your prayer of healing on zon'ozz was nearly 50%!!!! over healing.

- Unless you're having mana issues you should switch to the 3% critical effect meta (especially as disc)

- Flash heal more

- make sure all your other healers have incoming heals showing on their raid frames, and preferably tanks too (if not everyone). Its so annoying to be about to land a greater heal on someone at 25% when all of a sudden they LoH themselves. Dont know if its a problem for you but it always got on my nerves

Oh yea totally understandable. that was my focus but i think i just went stupid when we did it without the debuff. that and i went from tank to heals cuz of it (dk was to undergeared for no nerf)

i go a more mastery/crit build
    20%mastery/17.7hast/24.49crit and my spirit is at 998 before heart of living which i use on longer fights like on madness.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    - one thing that I find a lot of healers struggle with - Don't race with other healers to get heals off first, you'll both waste time and mana. Your prayer of healing on zon'ozz was nearly 50%!!!! over healing.
    Prayer of Healing overheal is very common in order to stack DA
    - Unless you're having mana issues you should switch to the 3% critical effect meta (especially as disc)
    406 ilvl. Use the 3% crit meta
    - Flash heal more
    wat.
    hello :3

For me healing priest mastery is awesome. If you have the maw mace use it those are free heals!

If you are not using Power Auras Classic (addon) you should! its a great tool that can remind you of things, like sending out your PoM on cooldown or using your inner focus. For me this is a must have addon for any class.
    Last edited by Caliswirl; 2012-08-09 at 08:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by darassper View Post

Mastery = bigger DA.

Hope this helps!
    False :X.

Mastery (Kelesti gonna kill somone if he keeps reading this argument) is probably the weakes t stats for Disc priests. Basically it works just with Shields. Nothing else.

Haste & Crit is what you need for more Aegis, not mastery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    False :X.

Mastery (Kelesti gonna kill somone if he keeps reading this argument) is probably the weakes t stats for Disc priests. Basically it works just with Shields. Nothing else.

Haste & Crit is what you need for more Aegis, not mastery.
    Mastery is pretty on par with Haste, depending on your playstyle. I have seen many high Mastery priests top the healing charts. [/I]And yes it does affect the aegis absorption.

OP- your best bet is to search and read through previous posts on the Mastery VS Haste VS Crit issue. It has honestly been asked so frequently that each subsequent post gets increasingly lackluster comments. There is lots of great information on this in these forums, divided between many threads. Just check the date.

The most important thing to know is that all 3 stats are good for disc, but the stat priority you chose depends on which abilities you want to rely on the most. When priests focus on haste it's usually to maximize PoH, Mastery to maximize Shield and aegis, Crit to proc Aegis.

I am running with Haste>Crit> Mastery with Haste significantly above Crit and Mastery, and Crit and Mastery being pretty close in number
    I like high haste for faster cast times, and for PoH spam for raids. Crit procs aegis which is great (and has synergy with haste since PoH = faster and procs aegis), but I also shield frequently enough that I keep mastery fairly high

This is also what I see most priests running with. Haste > Mastery > Crit is also rather popular

Some priests reforge depending on the fight, once they are involved in heroic raids.

Anything with Crit as a priority relies heavily on RNG, which is why I rarely see priests taking Crit as their highest priority.

---------- Post added 2012-08-09 at 05:11 PM ----------

...now that I have seen your raid progression, I`m thinking that I should be getting tips from you! Unfortunately I`m really bad at interpreting logs due to lack of practice I suppose, but there are some brilliant priests that post on battle.net that can help you with the small details.

There is definitely something a little off with your hps, given that mine tends to be a little higher and my gear isn`t quite as good, so there may be room for tweaking. I am noticing a relatively high use of Mastery abilities (shield, aegis) which suggests that Mastery may serve you slightly better than Haste. Try out a higher Mastery build and see how this affects your performance. You can always change it if it doesn`t work for you. High haste doesn`t help your shield, and since that is your number 1 heal by far (and your PoH is lower than what I typically see in logs) you want to get the most out of it. After reforging to high Mastery and testing that, if you are seeing benefit try a very high mastery - crit - haste build. The less you use PoH and long casts, the less you`ll get out of haste. If you do this, you may want a little more Spirit on your gear to compensate for the cost of shields.
    -I see suggestions to lower your Shield use. I don`t see this as necessary as long as you maximize it with Mastery and the glyph. Your gear can support high shield use, and I`ve seen that do wonders for some players hps
    -If you are using PW: S a ton, which you are, the glyph should give you a boost. I`d switch Penance with PW: S given your spell useage.
    -Make sure that you are using PoM on cd
    -Your overheal is very high for many spells. I`m not considering PoH since that can be used to stack aegis, but I`d be a little more conservative about your use of other abilities. If you are swimming in this much mana, then you can afford to use Flash Heal and more often when needed. Again I`m thinking that a high Mastery build is for you...
    -Your active time is lower than mine tends to be, even though my overheal is typically between 10 and 17%. I`m not sure what this suggests.
    -am I misinterpreting your flash heal use...100% overheal *scratches head*. Pardon the lack of question marks, my key is broken
    -You could probably use Penance more often. I use it almost every time it`s off cd, and it accounts for a large percentage of my heals with the glyph. It looks like you changed glyphs since the log, so maybe that`s why
    -I`m not seeing binding heal. It`s an incredibly efficient spell, so you could add that to your repertoire if you don`t normally
    -overall your spell priorities look pretty reasonable
    -scrap atonement and relevant glyphs since you`re not getting a lot of use out of it. I see that you have done that already.
    -scrap Glyph of inner fire, it`s doing nothing for you. Replace it with dispel or mass dispel. Get the addon decursive if you don`t have it
    -remove a point from Inner sanctum and put it into strength of soul (due to high pw shield use and high weakend soul on your logs.
    -I didn`t see you use desparate prayer, so take the point out of that and put it into inspiration. It may also benefit you to take a point out of darkness and put that into inspiration. It`s a great talent

-Make sure that you are using either mouseover macros, or a healing addon such as Grid + Clique or Vudho. You probably are already, but it`s worth mentioning since that will speed up your heals
    -make sure you are using Inner Focus, Barrier, and Power infusion...often underused. I have my Inner focus macro`d to the abilities that it affects
    -Dropping herbalism will give you more stats. I, too, am guilty of herbalism
    -Change your meta gem to 3% crit. There is no way you should have mana issues with your gear
    -lastly, look at the armories of the highest ranked PVE priests. Notice their stats, spell useage etc. This has really helped me to understand what my priorities should be
    Last edited by Kirse; 2012-08-10 at 01:07 AM.
    "Healing is a game of Hungry Hungry Hippos. All the healers try to gobble all the marbles up. Disc priests take the marbles off the board."

Well did Raid today, and here is WoL (25 man Heroic NO DEBUFF)
    ----- > http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-z2mfh5m4hbm6e1zg/ <------

Now just so i understand this more
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...zg/details/11/
    (Healing by Actor is the tab i am on)
    ^^^That would tell me how much or effective or healing i have done.. please if someone could give me a fast and easy explain to that .
    -------vvvvv------Not sure if i understand that right-----vvv
    Healing taken from
    Actor Amount
    Nive 4919168 47.2 %
    Hippocrates 1168464 11.2 %
    Escapegoat 1117699 10.7 %
    Vérène 1060264 10.2 %
    Nekramess 845655 8.1 %
    Rakrah 428769 4.1 %
    Paix 418963 4.0 %
    Spirit Link 322566 3.1 %
    Manyface 146750 1.4 %
    Halindron 1638 0.0 %
    -----------------------------------------------------

Any other points would be nice to improve my healing or mana usage (i was going kinda oom in black phase.).
    Any links to where i should be looking to fix myself better.

Also Thank you Kirse What you said is very helpful.
    All help, advice is needed thank you everyone.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Nive/advanced
    Last edited by Noix; 2012-08-10 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Had to add that part healing Taken to understand what it means

The healing that you linked is all the healing you have taken, not the healing you have done. Is that what you're asking? I'm a little confused.

Based on looking at your overall logs, the first thing that popped out at me is your Flash Heal usage. You're Flash Heals out healed your Prayer of Healing. This is wrong, bad, and probably why you're having mana issues. Flash Heal is an emergency healing spell, not a go to healing spell. Greater Heal more. Your Greater Heals make up for 0.7% of your healing while Flash Heal makes up for 15.1%. It'd be much better to see those percentages swapped?

Why aren't you using glyph of PW:Shield? Replace either your Penance or Barrier glyph and 100% pick up the PW:Shield glyph. There is no reason not to have this glyph. If you're still not convinced:
    - The healing from the shield scales with the size of the shield. If your 4set procs a double bubble, you get double the instant heal!
    - In emergency situations, I tend to shield that person, Penance if it's not on CD, and Greater Heal them up. That instant heal can help save lives!
    - IT CAN CRIT! And if it crits, it will proc Divine Aegis! The best feeling in the world is getting a double bubble (~80k absorb), crit heal from the glyph for ~40k, and a DA bubble for like 15k. Numbers might be a bit skewed, but basically, this glyph is awesome. On a normal bubble of mine, it heals maybe 8k+ with no crits.
    - On my last Zon'ozz kill, PW:Shield made up for 28.7% of my healing done while the glyph made up for a whopping 7.8% (32.6% overheal)! I go a little bubble happy on this fight, so my glyph does more healing that my single target heals like GH and Penance. Why wouldn't you want free healing?!

Listen to us, dear Nive =] PW:Shield is your best friend, and the glyph is the cute little puppy that follows everywhere your best friend goes! Don't disappoint the puppy!