Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Need help choosing between two Macbooks

Hi, first of all, I want you to know that I'm taking a course in graphic design which is why I'm interested in buying a Macbook. I'm not really an expert in Macbook specifications, so I don't know which one is more "worth it". They're both selling for quite a similar price. Furthermore, I still want to play WoW, D3 and HoN preferably on good graphics. (And maybe GW2 by using the Wine softare) So here are the specs:

Macbook A

Apple MacBook Pro Unibody i7 15.4"

i7 Quad Processor 2.4GHz

750GB HD

8GB DDR3 Ram

6770 1GB PCIe Graphics card

Macbook B

Apple MacBook Pro 15.4"

i7 Quad Processor 2.2 GHz

500GB HD

4GB DDR3 Ram

AMD Radeon HD 6750M

-----------

Macbook A seems better at everything, but I'm not quite sure on the graphics card and I can't seem to find it anywhere. :S

Thanks!
    Last edited by mmoc2c2bcbefc4; 2012-08-08 at 08:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    None. Throw them both in the trash bin and find yourself a real computer. And on topic, get an ssd instead, if you really don't need that much storage. Hell of a lot more speed improvement. And no matter how I look at it, option A seems better, and a lot more expensive?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm confused.

MacBook A is better in every way. Even if you dont know what any of those things are, the numbers are bigger on every account.

Deleted
    I'm not sure on the graphics card though, like I mentioned at the end.

And please, don't start with the Apple bashing. -.-

10+ Year Old Account
    6770 is higher than 6750. Even without knowing what they mean, bigger numbers are better.

Notably, without actual specs (like links to the actual laptops), if it is in fact a "6770" and a "6750M", then the second one is much worse as its a mobile GPU, and the first one isnt.

I guess I would choose the first one it seems to make the most sense if these were my two options. I would then go to my second way to pick at which one fits better into a manilla envelope .
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Deleted
    I'm sorry but I'm quite new at this stuff. This may sound stupid but I thought the other may be better as it is labelled Radeon. It was something I needed clarity on.

Another question, why can't I find the 6770 1GB PCIe Graphics card on websites like notebookcheck?

Deleted
    Just search for 6770 or Radeon HD6770.

Deleted
    Alright thanks for all the help! The prices are actually quite similar, the first one is a bit more expensive than the other, but it seems that A is the best choice.

You don't want either of those. Get the new 15" model with the built-in SSD and the high res display. It should be a similar price to the 17" model you're looking at, and is superior in every possible way. It may be a slight cost premium over that 17" model since that appears to be the last generation model, but the difference in cost is worth it for a massively better laptop.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are both Radeons.

Can you link the actual systems?

Another question, why can't I find the 6770 1GB PCIe Graphics card on websites like notebookcheck?
    I would assuming because '6770' is a part, not a laptop.

---------- Post added 2012-08-08 at 02:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Angriff View Post
    You don't want either of those. Get the new 15" model with the built-in SSD and the high res display. It should be a similar price to the 17" model you're looking at, and is superior in every possible way.
    He... isnt looking at a 17" model? Where did you get that? They are both 15". And since he's doing video work, an onboard larger drive might be more beneficial.

Oh crap I misread laptop A as the 17" model. My brain must have seen the i7 in the top line and misread. Even so, over that particular model, the cost premium shouldn't be too heavy for how much better the new model is, especially if you factor in the student discount from Apple which he's presumably eligible for as a graphic design student.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    They are both Radeons.

Can you link the actual systems?

I would assuming because '6770' is a part, not a laptop.

---------- Post added 2012-08-08 at 02:09 PM ----------

He... isnt looking at a 17" model? Where did you get that? They are both 15". And since he's doing video work, an onboard larger drive might be more beneficial.
    Ah they are both Radeons, good.

Notebookcheck is website which rates video cards. (Shows you at what settings can you play some select games, etc.)

Also yes, I'm looking at a 15" model.

Quote Originally Posted by Samakuro View Post
    Because it's a desktop card. There's something wrong with the specs you've found.

If you're serious about the graphic design, I'd look first and foremost to get the biggest possible screen you can afford in both inches and resolution, regardless of it being a Mac or not.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you just link the macbooks?

Deleted
    The specs:

Btw I prefer the 15" because it's more portable.

Quote Originally Posted by Angriff View Post
    Oh crap I misread laptop A as the 17" model. My brain must have seen the i7 in the top line and misread. Even so, over that particular model, the cost premium shouldn't be too heavy for how much better the new model is, especially if you factor in the student discount from Apple which he's presumably eligible for as a graphic design student.
    There's no good place to buy Apple products over here (they're overpriced), so I'm getting one online. There's no student discount here either. (Maybe it's because I'm from Europe?)
    Last edited by mmoc2c2bcbefc4; 2012-08-08 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would prefer a link, because it concerns me that it's listed as a 6770, when its actually a 6770M, two very different things. Regardless, the 6770M is still better, but I'd be worried about purchasing from a shady seller considering they can't list the specs correctly.

Deleted
    If that picture is from an actual shop site... I'd make sure it's not a scam or something.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I would prefer a link, because it concerns me that it's listed as a 6770, when its actually a 6770M, two very different things. Regardless, the 6770M is still better, but I'd be worried about purchasing from a shady seller considering they can't list the specs correctly.
    Yes you're right it's a 6770M, I asked the seller. Btw, I found this Macbook on Ebay. (Which means I'm protected by Paypal just in case)
    Last edited by mmoc2c2bcbefc4; 2012-08-08 at 09:39 PM.

Since I can't post links, MacbookA's video card is an AMD Radeon HD 6770M and it does have a notebookcheck page. It has a 725MHz core instead of the 600MHz that is on the 6750M.

MacBookA is really better in every way.

-Leare