Thread: Wow is hard.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    The difference between then an now is if you screwed up a little you died. The mechanics were easy but unforgiving.

Now we have complex fights but if you screw up chances are you can recover the mechanics are complex but instant deaths are less common.
    lets see
    omnotron: dont interrupt the arcana anihilater? you die
    maloriak: stand in his fire beam with the debuff? you die
    stand in the black shit the adds drop? you die
    atramedes: you get 100 sound? you die
    chimaeron: you stand too close to eachother? you die
    nefarian: dont interrupt in p2? you die
    dont get out of MC fast enough? you die
    dont move away far enough with cinders? you die

just to name some mechanics that kill you in 1 raid instance, and theyre not even all that can kill you from the bosses i named
    Last edited by silmarilen; 2012-08-08 at 11:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by silmarilen View Post
    lets see
    omnotron: dont interrupt the arcana anihilater? you die
    maloriak: stand in his fire beam with the debuff? you die
    stand in the black shit the adds drop? you die
    atramedes: you get 100 sound? you die
    chimaeron: you stand too close to eachother? you die
    nefarian: dont interrupt in p2? you die
    dont get out of MC fast enough? you die
    dont move away far enough with cinders? you die

just to name some mechanics that kill you in 1 raid instance, and theyre not even all that can kill you from the bosses i named
    I think he meant somewhere inbetween; raid mechanics now are less forgiving in that you die a lot quicker from 'fire' etc. but things like managing your threat or standing too close to cleaves, not interrupting/cc'ing properly, anything you were in control of, that stuff killed you quicker than now, and you had less fallbacks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onigumo View Post
    Pressing buttons and watching procs takes skill. LOL Nothing about WoW requires skill, and the people who say it does have never played a game that takes actual thought.
    WoW is as much about pressing buttons as the 100m sprint is about putting one foot in front of the other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    H Getting T1 was a breeze.
    yeah, 3 pieces of loot, between 40 people, sure getting T1 was a breeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    This thread won't end well
    Ya this wont end well.

Contribute, more so than just saying this???? -Azshira
    Last edited by Azshira; 2012-08-09 at 07:50 PM.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoW is SIGNIFICANTLY harder at the upper echelons now than it was in BC/vanilla. By a lot. Rotations are more complex, bosses are more complex, and there's far fewer good players out there thanks to Blizzard's hand-holding for the last 3 or 4 years.

What made vanilla and BC hard was carrying 5-15 players who were essentially dead weight within your raid, and coordinating said idiots to be there on time and do the right thing. Every guild had these idiots, even the best guilds in the world at the time. The bosses weren't very complex, and DPS and tanking rotations were extremely simple (press Fireball until Combustion is off cooldown... repeat. Sinister Strike to 5cp -> SnD -> SS to 5cp -> Evis, repeat).

Pretty much any Cata boss has more and more complex mechanics than the whole MC (perhaps not counting rag). If someone calls raids hard cause the bosses hit hard and have a lot of hp instead of having complex mechanics, well.. that's lame as fuck.

Pressing buttons and watching procs takes skill. LOL Nothing about WoW requires skill, and the people who say it does have never played a game that takes actual thought.
    So what games do you play that take so much thought?

Deleted
    he play this VERY hard he dont even dare to type the name of the game due to its SO HARD i heard its the new pokemon game

Three words... Mine-friggin-craft. I guess thats one hyphenated word but you get the point. Minecraft

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    i did the strat 45 in a group without a single raiding epic between them. amazing fun, and a great challenge. its only taken 6 years and 3 million lost subs for them to realise this and put more things like this in the game!
    I am pretty sure Vanilla didn't have 3 million players more than Cataclysm.

Vanilla WoW WAS harder. But many people are looking at more than just raids. Then, if 2 mobs attacked you while you were in the world, leveling perhaps, you were in trouble. 3, you were doomed.

Now? It's "aw man, I only managed to pull 3 mobs. I wanted at least 6!"

Most of the game WAS harder back then. And at the same time, WoW was still the easiest MMO at the time. But now? It's a joke, even without heirlooms.

Raiding has never been an issue of hard or easy. It's been an issue of getting many other people to also do the right thing, which isn't difficulty, it's just annoying and frustrating.

Deleted
    Difficulty doesn't make it interesting if you raid one single dungeon in 3 difficulty settings for almost 1 year. That counts for fresh 85s that finished heroics aswell. Raid finder -> Normal -> Heroic. Must be pretty motivating to think about this.
    In BC you started with Heroics and farmed T4 Content in addition to that to gather some more gear next go badge stuff. You also couldn't fill every slot with badge gear that had a high item level. After that you went on with T5 content for even more upgrades and attunements. Then finally you could start with T6 content which ends with Sunwell after you geared up in Hyjal and Black Temple. Now what is the big advantage of the whole prodecure? First, if you/your twink doesn't get carried in the highest raiding tier by your guild, you see the whole content while it is still challenging (or at least a bit considering nerfs). Second, having the goal in mind of reaching T6 content sometime in the future is probably more motivating than knowing you will raid the same raid dungeon in three difficulty settings for the next time or get bored in the last raid tier which you already outgear from heroic dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    Vanilla WoW WAS harder. But many people are looking at more than just raids. Then, if 2 mobs attacked you while you were in the world, leveling perhaps, you were in trouble. 3, you were doomed.

Now? It's "aw man, I only managed to pull 3 mobs. I wanted at least 6!"
    That's not difficult, nor hard. You can't pull X amount of mobs today, as you can't pull X amount of mobs in vanilla. The scaling is different, it's a lot faster paced than what Vanilla was. Time was a big factor before WotLK, now it's not. I would not call time needed a difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Tjsno View Post
    That's not difficult, nor hard. You can't pull X amount of mobs today, as you can't pull X amount of mobs in vanilla. The scaling is different, it's a lot faster paced than what Vanilla was. Time was a big factor before WotLK, now it's not. I would not call time needed a difficulty.
    The battles actually required attention. You had to make sure to AVOID pulling extra mobs. Enemies would respawn and you'd have to be tactical with where you fought. You had to use cooldowns, be fully aware of your surroundings, and even use bandages (blind + bandage = yay I'm not dead).

Sure, there are "limits" now, but you can't really reach them because it's harder to actually pull that many mobs before they evade than it is to kill them. You don't have to do much (prot warrior, charge, rend, TC, spam TC/cleave). Or you could even be lazy and skip some of that and just TC/cleave and win just fine.

Enemies hit harder. They aggro'd from further away. You did not hit as hard.

If that's not a difference in difficulty, then what is?

10+ Year Old Account
    You say that, but where is your theorycraft bro? Where's your multiple rank 1 glad bro?

whoa, what an amazing discovery you made there. yes, co-ordinating 40 guys is one of things that made it harder. it was harder to manage a raid, it was harder to manage a guild, it was harder to GET in a guild.

plus: there was no stupid add-ons to give you orders, there was no videos (or shit quality ones). you had to (wait for it)... READ tacs and understand them. and we all know how it is with people and reading these days. there was no fucking armory to give you all the info on a guy on a silver platter, you had to talk to them and make a judgement call when recruiting. can't be assed going down the memory lane atm but I'm sure I could think of more.

all in all, raiding was harder. and more satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    whoa, what an amazing discovery you made there. yes, co-ordinating 40 guys is one of things that made it harder. it was harder to manage a raid, it was harder to manage a guild, it was harder to GET in a guild.
    I don't consider the frustration of getting 39 other people to do what you want to be a very good concept of "challenge". A better term would be "frustration". People don't play WoW because they like to be frustrated, but many people like a challenge. Big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    The battles actually required attention. You had to make sure to AVOID pulling extra mobs. Enemies would respawn and you'd have to be tactical with where you fought. You had to use cooldowns, be fully aware of your surroundings, and even use bandages (blind + bandage = yay I'm not dead).

Sure, there are "limits" now, but you can't really reach them because it's harder to actually pull that many mobs before they evade than it is to kill them. You don't have to do much (prot warrior, charge, rend, TC, spam TC/cleave). Or you could even be lazy and skip some of that and just TC/cleave and win just fine.

Enemies hit harder. They aggro'd from further away. You did not hit as hard.

If that's not a difference in difficulty, then what is?
    You're exaggerating. Mobs found in and around the zones were not so powerful that you were incredibly careful about pulling extras. Nor can you simply walk into any level-appropriate group of mobs while leveling now and hit 2 buttons and they die.

Elites were a different story, as they were generally unable to be solo'd, which is often not the case now. But just because it took longer to kill mobs then (which it did, it was part of the looooooong grind that was leveling) didn't mean you were in a lot more danger or had to be nearly as careful as you are implying. It was not all that different in challenge or difficulty, just more time consuming, and finding spots to AoE grind was in fact one of the preferred way of leveling.

Vanilla and BC werent hard. The difficulty came in being able to play the game for 30-40 hours a week.