10+ Year Old Account

Finding System Shock 2

After recently playing Half Life for the first time and the Steam Summer sale recently ending I've come to the conclusion that I want to play these games (mainly the fps titles) in chronological order. Currently on Thief in the year 98 I've realized that I won't be able to play System Shock 2 for my 1999 games since it's not available on Steam. Now I own it's "spiritual successors" (Deus ex and Bioshock, which I haven't played yet) but I feel I should play this critically acclaimed game before I get to them.

So what I'm wondering is, does anyone know where exactly I could find this game since it doesn't seem to be available on Steam?
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

I've seen copies on Amazon and eBay for anywhere between $20-$50 USD.

On my shelf..., but seriously I haven't seen it online. I bought it like 10 years ago in a local Tesco.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can check out Abandonware sites, you can find a lot of old titles for download on there.

10+ Year Old Account
    I checked out Abandonware but they only had the first one, I might download that eventually. Though, I will most likely be buying it from Amazon like Sarah suggested, looking at the cover art and recently learning that Ken Levine worked on it and Thief has got me stoked to play it. Thanks for the help guys
    Last edited by ElAmigo; 2012-08-09 at 09:50 PM. Reason: typo
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"

if you're keen on SS1 I'd recommend you this
    edit: in fact, since ss2 is a direct sequel and you want to play those games in chronological order, it'll be only logical to do so, and I am sure the quality of this game, if you think on the fact it was released almost 18 years ago will surprise you :P
    Last edited by Korzh; 2012-08-09 at 09:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korzh View Post
    if you're keen on SS1 I'd recommend you this
    edit: in fact, since ss2 is a direct sequel and you want to play those games in chronological order, it'll be only logical to do so, and I am sure the quality of this game, if you think on the fact it was released almost 18 years ago will surprise you :P
    I read somewhere that playing the first wasn't that necessary since the 2nd seemed to be genre defining all in itself. But there was also the fact that I didn't think I'd find it since it came out for the DOS, but now that you mention it I guess I will. Though I want to beat Thief first

Quote Originally Posted by ElAmigo View Post
    I read somewhere that playing the first wasn't that necessary since the 2nd seemed to be genre defining all in itself. But there was also the fact that I didn't think I'd find it since it came out for the DOS, but now that you mention it I guess I will. Though I want to beat Thief first
    you definitely should, if at least for the story continuity
    but there's much more to it than that, system shock is the foundation of story-driven action games
    if you compare it with most of the products from that era, you'll see just how incredibly advanced and complex that game actually was

Thank you for using ValueWrap.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    Is that supposed to be an inside joke I'll understand later once I play the game? haha