sPvP With Party Members

Maybe I just couldn't find the option, but why can you not pvp with friends? The closest we could get was trying to join the same server and try to switch to the other team. However, during the stress test, it seemed they changed this by randomizing the teams after each match, which did not happen before. It is a real turnoff from the game to not be able to pvp with friends or guild members. Is there any plans to change this?

I was talking to Mike Fergurson of Anet (he was in-game talking to player in the pvp lobby).

And from what he said (because people asked) was more like this:

The tournaments are the way to go if you want to always end up with a friend, the "random" ones are more of a try out for the builds and such.

Something like that, so I don't know if there are any plans to do it but from what he said it's more like. If you wanna be in the same team on those games, thats "luck". If you reaally wanna be in the same team you need to go for the tournaments.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I was talking to Mike Fergurson of Anet (he was in-game talking to player in the pvp lobby).

And from what he said (because people asked) was more like this:

The tournaments are the way to go if you want to always end up with a friend, the "random" ones are more of a try out for the builds and such.
    Which, in my opinion, is kind of ridiculous. What if people only have a couple of friends to play with and don't want to go into a tournament that is of a higher skill level? Yes, I know the elitist dicks could say get better or get a guild. But I can see why Anet probably won't allow players to group up..

I think, Starry, that they won't allow players to group up in the random sPvP because of the way Glory is earned. Allowing players to enter a random battleground in a group could mean that.. 1. They are more organized and can ruin the play for the other team who quite possibly does not have that advantage.
    2. The group could essentially.. play? the match so that the members accumulated the maximum amount of glory possible, thus making it pretty easy to farm.

For example, they could all go and cap 1 node, getting 10 points? (not sure). They could then let the other team cap the other 2 nodes and go and slaughter them there. That would be a bunch of kills and everyone would get points for assault, neutralize and capture. Rinse repeat and probably still stay ahead of the scoreboard via kills.
    If assault is in there at all.. can't remember.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodlight View Post
    Which, in my opinion, is kind of ridiculous. What if people only have a couple of friends to play with and don't want to go into a tournament that is of a higher skill level? Yes, I know the elitist dicks could say get better or get a guild. But I can see why Anet probably won't allow players to group up..

I think, Starry, that they won't allow players to group up in the random sPvP because of the way Glory is earned. Allowing players to enter a random battleground in a group could mean that.. 1. They are more organized and can ruin the play for the other team who quite possibly does not have that advantage.
    2. The group could essentially.. play? the match so that the members accumulated the maximum amount of glory possible, thus making it pretty easy to farm.

For example, they could all go and cap 1 node, getting 10 points? (not sure). They could then let the other team cap the other 2 nodes and go and slaughter them there. That would be a bunch of kills and everyone would get points for assault, neutralize and capture. Rinse repeat and probably still stay ahead of the scoreboard via kills.
    If assault is in there at all.. can't remember.
    If you got enough people just fill up a server with 16 friends and guildies, and figure out the way to achieve max glory in shortest amount of time. If that's what turns you on you can still do that

Quote Originally Posted by lunarath View Post
    If you got enough people just fill up a server with 16 friends and guildies, and figure out the way to achieve max glory in shortest amount of time. If that's what turns you on you can still do that
    Yea, I supposed you could do that.
    But I don't know how Anet would fix that and that still leaves the griefing side to the matter.

I kinda agree with blood. But just in the part where I think we should be able to join with a friend, don't think it would impact that much. (No total premades tho).

But Mike did bring it up that one of the reasons aside from "it's just to try out", its about balancing as well.

And you can (at launch) join a tourny with a friend. (you dont need 5 to enter). The game will do the match making and put you with another group, if you have 2 they will add 3. If you have 4 they add 1 and so on. If Im not mistaken the other teams using this way, will also be "broken".

But that remains to be seen at launch, how it will play out.

Deleted
    this is really bad..
    the endgame is all about pvp (almost..) and if you wont allow pvp\fun bgs for a couple of friends that want to have some fun... its just gonna fail, imo

and the thing that you can join torunament with just 2 ppls wont cut it, i'm not always in the mood for "serious" pvp, sometime i just feel like smashing something or do silly thing with my friends, and if i do that in a tournament, the other players will get pissed off (same as me if i join for some "serious" pvp and end up with some1 that just want to have a good time jumping running and rushing inside the enemy team)
    Last edited by mmocb2142eacd7; 2012-08-10 at 02:18 AM.

Honestly, this is an excellent game decision. If you want to play with a premade group you should be playing against other premade groups, not facerolling pugs. If it makes you feel better though you can still group with friends to your hearts content in WvWvW, which is the real pvp anyway. A real fight shouldn't be in a tiny box with a static number of opponents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

i dunno about you guys but when i played with friends an we were on opposite teams in BWE3 i found myself stalking them and trying to kill them. Was pretty fun.

sPvP it doesnt really matter who wins everyones getting glory and the rewards are random. Sure you prolly wanna practice for tournaments but arnt they gonna put in Private rooms for sPvP at launch, where you can put up passwords and such? or are those the player run tournaments?

I completely agree with their design decision.
    Stomping pugs with a premade isn't very fun for the people being crushed.

You and your friend can still go in the same game, you may be in different team for balance purposes. I don't mind personally, trying to kill my friends while being on TS together. And if you play with 2 friends there is always at least 2 ppl together

See this exactly like a TF2 game with autobalance teams :O

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Honestly, this is an excellent game decision. If you want to play with a premade group you should be playing against other premade groups, not facerolling pugs. If it makes you feel better though you can still group with friends to your hearts content in WvWvW, which is the real pvp anyway. A real fight shouldn't be in a tiny box with a static number of opponents.
    well, why not build 2 Bg brackets with one only joinable solo\random and the other one with the option "join as a grp", and leave the tournament as the "serious" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by devonizer View Post
    well, why not build 2 Bg brackets with one only joinable solo\random and the other one with the option "join as a grp", and leave the tournament as the "serious" thing?
    Because you can't constantly divide your player base into different game mode. Balancing teams with "blocks" of player is also pretty annoying.