Thread: Basic geometry

Deleted

Basic geometry

I am going to build a little "house" for some rabbits .. it will get a 4-sided-roof, i thought of an roof grade/inclination/increase (i really don't know which is the right word .. all mean the same in german..) of about 25 degree.. i want to use a single plank for all 4 sides, sawing it like this:

_ \/___ \/___ \

So i will get 4 triangles from 1 plank, but i am in need of two angles and my school geometry is to long ago, that's why i would be really thanksfull for your help:

Angle I:
    The "peak"-angle of the triangles (the one above the "a" in my amazing blueprint). My guess: 130° ?

Angle II:
    The angle i need to saw, for the long sides of the triangle to fit together. So the sides of the triangle are not looking like this:

but like this:

So i am able to glue them together.
    I am pretty sure, that this one should be also 25°, like the roof grade/inclination/increase itself.

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by mmocef5aa45e36; 2012-08-10 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oex View Post
    i thought of an roof grade/inclination/increase of about 25 degree.
    Do you mean that the roof is going to be changing its slope at different points? Sorry if I can't figure it out right away. I just woke up not too long ago, and I'm not completely awake yet.

Deleted
    I am quite sure it's my english, not your sleep numbed mind.

That's how the roof should look in the end, a quadratic roof with four even "sides" and 25° is the angle of the roofsides to the "cubus" (yellow @ the picture) of the house.

Okay, so I've read through your original post several times, and I'm still not sure if I completely understand what your blueprint will look like, so I'm going to try to do a quick sketch of what I think you might be trying to convey.

Also, thanks for the real picture :P That helped a lot.

One moment please. I'm working on the sketch now of how I think you're envisioning the wood to be.

Need to know the dimensions of the box the roof is being put on to or is the box going to be square?

Deleted
    it's going to be a square box.

Okay, here is my try at it.

I'm guessing that your building is square.

So, the wood that you plan on cutting will be the black lines going up. Then the brown spray painted are will be a sheet of plywood where you can attach the shingles. Is this what you're trying to do?

10+ Year Old Account
    These links should help you out
    http://www.carpentry-pro-framer.com/...f-framing.html

Also found a nice calculator of some sort where you can put in all your information:
    http://www.blocklayer.com/Roof/default.aspx

I don't really know how it works though, didn't tinker around with it.

use plywood imo. it's cheap, will make getting all you need easier, and eliminate the grain orientation issues that you get from solid wood

Deleted
    First of all: Thanks for all the help. The caluclator helped a lot, but it's really hard for me to understand because of all the specific terms.

Quote Originally Posted by Galloways View Post
    Okay, here is my try at it.

I'm guessing that your building is square.

So, the wood that you plan on cutting will be the black lines going up. Then the brown spray painted are will be a sheet of plywood where you can attach the shingles. Is this what you're trying to do?
    Amazing paintskills

My idea - so far - was to saw the whole brown part from just one plank (i am building for rabbits not for humans :P) so i'll get 4 triangles (the brown parts) and cut the sides so they fit perfectly together .. the one angle i am looking for is the one at top of the triangles and the other is the one i need to cut the sides, so they fit exactly together ..

By testing aroung with the calculator i came to the conclusion, that it is not as easy as i thought it would be.. so i'll grab some paper and calculate it one by one .. really thought its some easy mental work .. :-)

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can't get that to work you could always go with something like

Easy Peasy.

Quote Originally Posted by smegdawg View Post
    If you can't get that to work you could always go with something like

(removed image)
    Lol, I would hope he would size that down first. :P And he would also need to add a lot of fencing to the big open area in the front.

Something like that? Your chamfer need to be 55 degrees.

Well dang Morogoth. I think that beats my drawing in paint.

Deleted
    Thanks a lot Morogoth, even if i did not get the right numbers from your blueprint, i got the right idea to solve my problems from it.

Everything is calculated - Thanks a lot!

Glad you got your problem fixed! Mind if we get to see the finished project?

Quote Originally Posted by Oex View Post
    Thanks a lot Morogoth, even if i did not get the right numbers from your blueprint, i got the right idea to solve my problems from it.

Everything is calculated - Thanks a lot!
    I'm happy to help, I had a couple minutes of free time on the job

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Galloways View Post
    Well dang Morogoth. I think that beats my drawing in paint.
    Hehe, I used your sketch. Nice paint skillz!