[Music] Is Lady Gaga a rock artist?

Hi. Me and my friend noticed that wikipedia states under generes that Lady Gaga is a Pop, dance, electronic and rock artist. I do realize one never should trust wikipedia, but we also found her placed in a book called "Rock N' Roll Myths" (aint got scource on that cause shes the one who found it)

Anyway, we began discussing if any Lady Gaga's music can be characterized as rock, and if its correct of wikipedia and the book to state that shes an rock artist. So, what do you think forum? Can she be characterized as rock?

With your answer, I would really appreciate if you stated why, and if you have any scources that state so to link them.

Cant post a link to the wikipedia site, but to verify it, just go to wikipedia and search for Lady Gaga

Deleted
    It's Wikipedia, don't trust it. And no, she is not a rock artist, far far far from it

10+ Year Old Account
    pop and pop at best
    she just simply stole Marilyn mansons shock angle who in tunr had previously stole it from alice cooper who got it from ozzy go figure
    gaga just did it more mainstream
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

I wouldn't say so, mainly just a pop artist.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    The only thing even remotely close to rock would be the outrage she is trying to create through "shocking" costumes and effects. Her music is bland pop, but the reaction she craves is that a rock artist would get. She is supposedly great friends with Alice Cooper and it's obvious that she wants to create the same type of outrage he managed to create some 30+ years ago. However he also managed to have what was considered "shocking music" back then, with horror lyrics and all such, where as Gaga does not.

All in all - no. She's a pop artist who wants to be treated like she re-invented rock.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Window View Post
    she just simply stole Marilyn mansons shock angle who in tunr had previously stole it from alice cooper who got it from ozzy go figure
    Please OH please explain to me how Alice Cooper stole anything off Ozzy, when Ozzy was relatively normal during his days in Black Sabbath during the late 60's and through the 70s. If anything, once Ozzy went solo in the early 80s, stole the shock angle off Alice who had been doing it all through the 70's. Alice was the originator out of the 3 people you listed. Also OP, clearly if Gaga does not play rock then she is not a rock artist.

No? Pop is far from the same as rock. People who claim that need to get their mind together and look at facts instead of things they all make up in their mind , where they think they can be anything

10+ Year Old Account
    pop and pop at best
    Manson's shock? No, more like Madonna's. Shes basically ripping off madonna.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    completly forgot about Madonnas existence in general my bad
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

10+ Year Old Account
    does anybody do rock anymore?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    My parents when attempting to act hip...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    My parents when attempting to act hip...
    sounds cool! love to hear it

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfen View Post
    Industrial Shock Metal would be the label one could give to the earliest of early Manson records. But absolutely, Madonna plays a big role as well.

---------- Post added 2012-08-10 at 05:52 PM ----------

As in the traditional style? Yes there are still plenty. Though most bands are a subgenre with roots in rock.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

15+ Year Old Account
    pop and pop at best
    I always thought she was going more for the Madonna technique.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Well, no. People smack the rock label on any artist now a days. Heck, Gaga doesn't even use a guitar in the majority of her music (don't know it all, so I won't say in all of it), and neither does it follow any kind of rock style. It's sadly a term which has been thrown around mindlessly for a long time, as shown with Hannah Montana and The Jonas Brothers.

By Rock you mean 70's-80's-style Hard Rock?

There's plenty of them that do, but it's primarily not in the mainstream anymore.

Rock is too blanket of a term - there is no singly Rock band. What most people associate with Rock is actually a combination of Progressive Rock, Traditional Heavy Metal, Blues-Rock and Psychadelic Rock.

And Gaga doesn't really have much in the way of Rock influences, unless we're talking aesthetic. I view that as a part of an artist though, so in that respect yes she is a Rock Artist. Her music is mostly Dance-pop and Electropop, though.